Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    melgross said:

razorpit said:
    melgross said:

razorpit said:
    AB101 said:
    I will be stunned if this car makes it out before 2025.
    Or costs less than $200k.
    That’s a joke, right? If Apple does this, pricing would on the order of everyone else.
    That's a joke right? How do you know this as fact?
    Don’t play dumb. Or maybe that’s difficult. We get enough trolls here already.
    I'm the one trolling? With all the time and research going in to this, if it is indeed an Apple Car. It is going to be extremely expensive. I hope I'm wrong, but from what (little) we know I don't think I'm too far off base.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    spice-boy said:
    Only egotistical rich tech guys think their software surpasses the human brain in all situations. They are risking our lives as beta testers on roads and crosswalks. 
    Can you quote a single rich tech guy who thinks software surpasses the human brain in all situations? Just one, please. 

Next, can you provide actual statistics on pedestrian fatalities due to automated vehicles, vs pedestrian fatalities due to human drivers? I'm aware of one case of a human pedestrian fatalities, but cannot count the number of human-driver hit & runs and what not.

Or, just continue to spout unsubstantiated emotional appeals disconnected from reality. Shrug.
    Quotes are useless when their actions tell us their intentions. Create the software for self driving cars but not actually build cars just license the software and you got Windows 95 for the auto industry and all that comes along with it. Only these west coast people would think cars will be part of the future, it's flying cars!
    macplusplus
  • Reply 23 of 25
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    razorpit said:
    melgross said:

razorpit said:
    melgross said:

razorpit said:
    AB101 said:
    I will be stunned if this car makes it out before 2025.
    Or costs less than $200k.
    That’s a joke, right? If Apple does this, pricing would on the order of everyone else.
    That's a joke right? How do you know this as fact?
    Don’t play dumb. Or maybe that’s difficult. We get enough trolls here already.
    I'm the one trolling? With all the time and research going in to this, if it is indeed an Apple Car. It is going to be extremely expensive. I hope I'm wrong, but from what (little) we know I don't think I'm too far off base.
    You’re pretty far off base. You’re not thinking logically. Why would Apple come out with a car that costs $200,000? They wouldn’t. Seriously, it’s not even worth mentioning.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 24 of 25
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    williamh said:
    Do you folks think Apple will really sell a full car, or will it be a package of vehicle electronics more like a massive expansion of CarPlay?  In my view, there's not much advantage to Apple to make this whole widget - there are too many aspects of it there have a bad risk-reward ratio.  I'm definitely not going to do a Palm and say "“PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.” The fact that younger folks would need to do a web search to find out what Palm was says enough about that.  They can figure it out.  Just - why when Apple could create a compelling electronics package that people will demand their favorite car maker adopt much as with CarPlay and collect a nice chunk of money without having to support cars? 
    Automated rideshare/transit. How would other carmakers "adopt" all this stuff, why would Apple want them to? Apple would clearly want to own the entire stack.
    You could be right and Apple's efforts are directed at special purpose vehicles like rideshare or some sort of public transit.  For now, the higher volume business will be personal vehicles.  Other carmakers would "adopt" this stuff by building the rest of the car to host Apple's package instead of developing their own.  I think the automakers would hate having their product turned into a platform for Apple much as the cable companies hate being turned into a dumb pipe.  However most of the carmakers have shown themselves to be terrible with software. Honda is a good case in point. I curse the Honda engineers: May they have to use their own navigation system for all of their travels. Haven't many companies resisted CarPlay but eventually concede as buyers demand it?

I am not sure Apple wants that entire stack. The high margin high value part of the proposition would be their software and the sensors they require. The rest of it is low margin low glamour business. Do you think Apple wants to deal with replacement tires or brake pads? (I'm assuming the usual internal combustion engine maintenance wouldn't be relevant.) I, for one, could do without a car that has glass bumpers or that would be declared a total loss if it gets a bit of dust in the wrong place. I also won't need my car to be as thin as possible. LOL.
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 25 of 25
    williamh said:
    williamh said:
    Do you folks think Apple will really sell a full car, or will it be a package of vehicle electronics more like a massive expansion of CarPlay?  In my view, there's not much advantage to Apple to make this whole widget - there are too many aspects of it there have a bad risk-reward ratio.  I'm definitely not going to do a Palm and say "“PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.” The fact that younger folks would need to do a web search to find out what Palm was says enough about that.  They can figure it out.  Just - why when Apple could create a compelling electronics package that people will demand their favorite car maker adopt much as with CarPlay and collect a nice chunk of money without having to support cars? 
    Automated rideshare/transit. How would other carmakers "adopt" all this stuff, why would Apple want them to? Apple would clearly want to own the entire stack.
    You could be right and Apple's efforts are directed at special purpose vehicles like rideshare or some sort of public transit.  For now, the higher volume business will be personal vehicles.  Other carmakers would "adopt" this stuff by building the rest of the car to host Apple's package instead of developing their own.  I think the automakers would hate having their product turned into a platform for Apple much as the cable companies hate being turned into a dumb pipe.  However most of the carmakers have shown themselves to be terrible with software. Honda is a good case in point. I curse the Honda engineers: May they have to use their own navigation system for all of their travels. Haven't many companies resisted CarPlay but eventually concede as buyers demand it?

I am not sure Apple wants that entire stack. The high margin high value part of the proposition would be their software and the sensors they require. The rest of it is low margin low glamour business. Do you think Apple wants to deal with replacement tires or brake pads? (I'm assuming the usual internal combustion engine maintenance wouldn't be relevant.) I, for one, could do without a car that has glass bumpers or that would be declared a total loss if it gets a bit of dust in the wrong place. I also won't need my car to be as thin as possible. LOL.
    Apple doing all this to develop sensors and software to stick on someone else's car where they have zero control over overall experience is absurd to me, akin to the Mac clones of the '90s. Not going to happen.