Satechi launches USB-C hub that fits Apple's Mac mini

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
The new Satechi aluminum hub is made to precisely fit underneath the Mac mini and also act as a stand. It brings a series of ports, including a micro SD card reader, to the front of the computer.

The Satechi stand presents ports at the front of the Mac mini
The Satechi stand presents ports at the front of the Mac mini

Technology accessory maker Satechi has released the Type-C Stand and Hub for the 2018 Mac mini. It's a slimline hub that brings a series of ports to the front of the 2018 Mac mini, while also raising the computer off the desk.

Both sized and colored to look part of the Mac mini, the Satechi hub brings a micro/SD card reader to the Mac mini for the first time.

The hub is connected at the rear of the Mac mini by a built-in USB-C cable that plugs into a Thunderbolt 3 port.

Via that connection, it replicates some of the Mac's rear connectors and presents them in a more convenient location at the front of the machine.

So without reaching around or moving the Mac mini, users have quick access to a single USB-C port, three USB 3.0 ports, the micro/SD card reader, and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Satechi says that the hub and stand is also fitted with built-in air vents to regulate the temperature of the unit when multiple devices are plugged in at the same time.

The Type-C Aluminum Stand and Hub for Mac mini costs $79.99 on Amazon.

Satechi is a longstanding accessory manufacturer, and recently launched a pair of 4K60 compatible USB-C Multimedia Adapters and an aluminium mouse.
bakedbananas

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    This is a great idea.  I love the elegance of it.  They should push it to include SSD stackables as well.  I would totally buy this.
    fotoformatentropyscoolfactordewmeforgot usernamemacguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    Very nice.  Thanks for posting the news about this.  Great that it has the sd card slot.  I have the previous non usb-c mini and love it
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    Waiting on an eGPU and eHDD that also look like this. It could than replace my 2013 iMac which is beginning to really feel its age with Catalina.
    dewmeforgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Unless you need ports that the Mac mini doesn’t offer, like the SD slots, I don’t see much of a market for this device. I want my Mac mini’s ports facing me when I look in my electronics closet so they do. And if I needed those slots I’d likely just get something specific for that need since it are dry offers plenty of USB-C and USB-A ports.

The change I wish Apple would offer is having an additional LED light in the back, but I have several other options to deal with the light facing away from me for the rare times that I need it.

like others stated, if it allowed for storage and eGPU expansion then I could see a benefit to stacking my Mac mini.

Since it looks like many are finding this to be a great solution, I’m glad that Satechi offers you a solution. 
    edited November 2019 fastasleepforgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    If satechi was going to the effort of building a beautiful case like this it should have provided for the ability to stick a drive in it. as it is you are paying a lot of money for the design, multiple compared with other USB hubs.
    dewmeforgot username
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Looked at the specs, and for that money I'd have liked to see a better SD card reader, instead it's a UHS-I reader with a top speed of 108Mbit/s???

No thanks, it's junk...
    fastasleepcaladanian
  • Reply 7 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Nice.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    Soli said:
    Unless you need ports that the Mac mini doesn’t offer, like the SD slots, I don’t see much of a market for this device. I want my Mac mini’s ports facing me when I look in my electronics closet so they do. And if I needed those slots I’d likely just get something specific for that need since it are dry offers plenty of USB-C and USB-A ports.

The change I wish Apple would offer is having an additional LED light in the back, but I several other options to deal with the light facing away from me for the rare times that I need it.

like others stated, if it allowed for storage and eGPU expansion then I could see a benefit to stacking my Mac mini.

Since it looks like many are finding this to be a great solution, I’m glad that Satechi offers you a solution. 
    It’s not a big draw for me either, especially since it is a desktop where a TB3 or USBC monitor could have a dock in it as well. Apple’s TB2 display was great since it had speakers, front cam, audio, Ethernet and like 3 USBA ports. A TB3 display with the right array of ports would have brought the concept home to idealized fruition: one cable to your laptop, everything else connected to the monitor.

However, for the Mac mini as a home machine, I’m hoping some accessory maker takes the hint and makes stackable versions of an eGPU and an eHDD. 
    forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    The Mac mini has a ton of potential, but Apple seems to be ignoring this. The latest iteration is too expensive for a "mini" computer. It's twice the price of the original mini, although I know it also packs a punch 10x more powerful. But that misses the original target market for the mini. I can't imagine these are selling well due to the high price.

Pricing of the mini in Canada _starts_ at $999! That's outrageous.

EDIT: I realized that my whine-fest post was off-topic, so let me add something on-topic. This stand looks nice! I just wish I could afford its prerequisite... an actual mini!  :D
    edited November 2019 caladanianforgot usernamebakedbananasmacguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    sflocal said:
    This is a great idea.  I love the elegance of it.  They should push it to include SSD stackables as well.  I would totally buy this.
    OWC needs an updated version of this. 
    https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/external-drives/owc-ministack

This thing is pretty but could’ve been so much more than it is, especially for $80 when you could get a hub with these functions for a third of the price.
    edited November 2019 forgot usernamesandorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    The Mac mini has a ton of potential, but Apple seems to be ignoring this. The latest iteration is too expensive for a "mini" computer. It's twice the price of the original mini, although I know it also packs a punch 10x more powerful. But that misses the original target market for the mini. I can't imagine these are selling well due to the high price.

Pricing of the mini in Canada _starts_ at $999! That's outrageous.

EDIT: I realized that my whine-fest post was off-topic, so let me add something on-topic. This stand looks nice! I just wish I could afford its prerequisite... an actual mini!  :D
    It’s not twice as much in the US, your dollar is just weaker than it was. :)

Pretty sure Apple knows exactly who buys these which is why it packs the punch it does and costs more. They made it pretty clear.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Well, that was quick. Purchased. I wish their keyboard was backlit, would've grabbed it too.
    Looked at the specs, and for that money I'd have liked to see a better SD card reader, instead it's a UHS-I reader with a top speed of 108Mbit/s???

No thanks, it's junk...
    I'm buying for convenience. This eliminates most of the cords and all the USB-C hubs on my desktop. 108Mbit/s is plenty fast enough for the occasional SD card transfer.
    edited November 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I think this is priced right for what it is, and very nicely executed. Sure they could have included a drive or space for a DIY SSD and a half-dozen other features, features that many don't want. It's not a big leap to think Satechi may already be planning for a more fully featured version for those who want it.

Having those ports that it has, and facing them forward is very desirable to me, as well as adding some expansion. I like this a LOT. The price seems very reasonable.

I'd like really like a version that would hold an SSD, particularly an NVMe, but now we're getting into the tall grass of $$$. I have zero need of an eGPU and would rather not pay for any expense of having one, but compromises have to be made. Satechi isn't Sammie and they can't make 31flavors to suit multiple palates.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member

No thanks, it's junk...
    You must be some kind of 'pro' user. That doesn't make this junk. It just means you need 'pro' gear. LOL

Like the man said '108Mbit/s is plenty fast enough for the occasional SD card transfer'.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    sflocal said:
    OWC needs an updated version of this. 
    https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/external-drives/owc-ministack

This thing is pretty but could’ve been so much more than it is, especially for $80 when you could get a hub with these functions for a third of the price.
    We used these on a lot fo our minis at work - DAS TimeMachine has always worked better, we were/are able to upgrade spinning drives to SSD.

Wasted empty space on a basic USB hub that size

• Reply 16 of 16
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Arrived this morning. $72 & free priority shipping on their site.  Money well spent. 
    watto_cobra