Apple spent 'billions' on revamped Maps service

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59

spheric said:
    genovelle said:
    appleric said:
    And still we can not have multiple locations directions like Google Maps, and it’s still connected to Yelp. I had such hopes for this new iOS13 version of maps. But it’s all fluffy fun, and no real life functional needs.
    What do you mean. Like selecting a coffee shop or restaurant along the way and pickup the original destination?  Yes it does it. And while it uses yelp.  Other points of interest sources must be in play too
    No, like heading to a destination but picking up people along the way. I need this every single weekend (we have several fixed meeting points with band members), and Apple Maps is not capable of adding an extra stop a little ways off the direct route and still giving me a total ETA. 
    But why do you need that? Why not say "Siri, take me to Steven's house" and then when he's in "Siri, take me to Sarah's house" etc? Why do you need it all mapped ahead of time, also when you know where they live? If you do directions once to the final destination you already know the ETA. Do that first, and you'll have your estimated total time, it doesn't know how long you'll take at each stop anyway.
    edited November 2019 mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 59

felix01 said:
    I'm still not using Apple Maps. Three questions for you folks who are. Positive answers might convince me to start giving Apple Maps a serious look:

1. Does Apple Maps show the posted speed limits (I know temporary work areas won't be correct) along the computed route? And how about if you're just using it to track progress along roads but not a computed route? Speed limits there too?

2. Are computed arrival times more accurate than on earlier versions? I guess what I'm asking here is whether Apple is tracking the average traffic speeds along major roads and using that dynamic info to continually recalculate arrival times.

3. Are alternate routes provided around crashes and/or work zones (or just general traffic congestion)? Kind of like Waze does.
    1. No, I speed everywhere, so do not care.

2. Yes. Improved all the time.

3. I don't think it has realtime feedback at this point, but I could be wrong.

felix01watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 59

rynoyes said:
    Billions for a app that is horrible?  

When you thought it couldn’t get worse they took overview away.

Works great for me. What's overview? I still can see shit in 3D satellite view, they still have flyover, lookaround is new, etc.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 59

felix01 said:
    I'm still not using Apple Maps. Three questions for you folks who are. Positive answers might convince me to start giving Apple Maps a serious look:

1. Does Apple Maps show the posted speed limits (I know temporary work areas won't be correct) along the computed route? And how about if you're just using it to track progress along roads but not a computed route? Speed limits there too?

2. Are computed arrival times more accurate than on earlier versions? I guess what I'm asking here is whether Apple is tracking the average traffic speeds along major roads and using that dynamic info to continually recalculate arrival times.

3. Are alternate routes provided around crashes and/or work zones (or just general traffic congestion)? Kind of like Waze does.

Thanks, Fastasleep.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 59
    felix01 said:

felix01 said:

Thanks, Fastasleep.
    To be clear, I like Waze. I was sad when Google bought it, because I hate Google's software/UX in general, but I still use it occasionally when time is a factor. Maps does not, as far as I know, have any realtime feedback from drivers as Waze does to mark things happening "now".

I know Apple factors in speed limits into destination times, but I cannot recall now if they display it on screen. Maybe they do? Haven't used it in a bit as I don't drive often.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 59
    felix01 said:
    fastasleep said:

felix01 said:

Thanks, Fastasleep.
    To be clear, I like Waze. I was sad when Google bought it, because I hate Google's software/UX in general, but I still use it occasionally when time is a factor. Maps does not, as far as I know, have any realtime feedback from drivers as Waze does to mark things happening "now".

I know Apple factors in speed limits into destination times, but I cannot recall now if they display it on screen. Maybe they do? Haven't used it in a bit as I don't drive often.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    It’s perhaps 80% Google Maps and closing the gap slowly.  No better than that.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    yuck9 said:
    And it still has problems. Leads me on a different path 2 out of 5 times to the same place every day. You should be asking for a refund. They saw you coming.  Today I went to a city I've never been to before. I ask for the closest Starbucks. It tells me 2.2 miles away. I drive not more then 3 blocks away and there it is. 

Maps is showing it's 1.9 miles to location. Few billion on that ? LOL.
    Yeah that sort of stuff NEVER happens with Google maps. 
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 59
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member

felix01 said:

Question for you. Do you send essay questions every time you need information that you can easily find out on your own by just using the product? 

Try it. Won’t hurt you. 
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 59
    Apple Maps < Google Maps
    Example: start typing the destination, select the suggested street, no try adding the building number. You can do it in Google Maps but not in Apple Maps. => Apple Maps suck.
    (I am an Apple fun, but some things they do are done by the competition better).
  • Reply 31 of 59
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Yup, Apple Maps every time now, without exception. 

The trick I find works best in the UK: place names rather than postcodes, especially for hotels. A postcode in the UK covers about fifteen buildings, no matter how large the buildings and how far apart they are. 

We tried to find a hotel near Gatwick once, but I didn’t realise our designated driver had put in the postcode. When we were taken to the edge of a field, I told him to put in the name of the hotel. We were then directed to the hotel’s car park entrance, about half a mile away. 

What I like about Maps/Siri is that it’s learned my habits. I now get alerts about traffic jams when I start my journey home, or cheery little “traffic light” messages when I set off to the gym.
    Why would you put in a postcode? Assuming that's similar to Zip code here in the US, that's like a whole neighborhood or larger. 
    Because that's what people do, for some reason. I've been trying to get Mrs Rayz out of the habit for years.
    muthuk_vanalingamfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 59
    genovelle said:
    appleric said:
    And still we can not have multiple locations directions like Google Maps, and it’s still connected to Yelp. I had such hopes for this new iOS13 version of maps. But it’s all fluffy fun, and no real life functional needs.
    What do you mean. Like selecting a coffee shop or restaurant along the way and pickup the original destination?  Yes it does it. And while it uses yelp.  Other points of interest sources must be in play too
    What I mean when I say something like this is that I cannot plan a route with multiple waypoints the way I can with Google Maps.  For instance, if I want to drive to Los Angeles by way of Kansas City, Mount Rushmore, Yosemite and San Francisco, I have to map each of those separately.  In practice, that's not a humungous dealbreaker, since you can still get a route for each leg as you start.

But I've used the waypoint feature when planning trips, even if I don't use Google Maps for the drive, and it's quite handy.

iOS Maps is also lacking with regard to bike routing, i.e. it doesn't have any such feature (if it does, I can't find it).  If I route a bike ride using Google Maps, it'll avoid all the freeways between my starting point and all my way points.  I suppose I could go into iOS Maps settings for driving and tell it to avoid highways, but that setting is global, and stays there until you turn it off, which means I'd have to go back into settings and reset it when I want to drive somewhere instead of bike.
    philboogierazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 59
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    felix01 said:

1/. Yes, it does know the speed limit. Temporary limits seem to work in some places. I think it depends on how long the road works have been running.

2/ The arrival times are about the most accurate I've come across. The arrival time changes as you're driving.

3/. Alternate routes are provided for crashes and heavy traffic. It will say that it has found an alternative route along with the number of minutes you'll save if you take it. The most I've ever saved on a journey is 14 minutes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 59

spheric said:
    genovelle said:
    appleric said:
    No, like heading to a destination but picking up people along the way. I need this every single weekend (we have several fixed meeting points with band members), and Apple Maps is not capable of adding an extra stop a little ways off the direct route and still giving me a total ETA. 
    But why do you need that? Why not say "Siri, take me to Steven's house" and then when he's in "Siri, take me to Sarah's house" etc? Why do you need it all mapped ahead of time, also when you know where they live? If you do directions once to the final destination you already know the ETA. Do that first, and you'll have your estimated total time, it doesn't know how long you'll take at each stop anyway.
    Because a route with waypoints provides better time estimates.  When starting out, "Steven" and "Sarah" can be provided with a time estimate for pickup at the beginning of the trip, as well as a more accurate estimate of final arrival to interested parties at the destination.

And yes, I'm sure you can provide a work around somehow.  A less convenient work around that involves more time fiddling with one's phone rather than getting about the business at hand. 
    muthuk_vanalingamMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Rayz2016 said:
    felix01 said:

1/. Yes, it does know the speed limit. Temporary limits seem to work in some places. I think it depends on how long the road works have been running.

2/ The arrival times are about the most accurate I've come across. The arrival time changes as you're driving.

3/. Alternate routes are provided for crashes and heavy traffic. It will say that it has found an alternative route along with the number of minutes you'll save if you take it. The most I've ever saved on a journey is 14 minutes.
    I second all of this but will point out that speed limits and arrival times only show up with a calculated route in progress. There is an option to turn off the spoken navigation and only show the arrival time, though, which I use quite frequently. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 59
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    So, Google is now (or will soon):
    -- Tracking people's heart rate & exercise from their FitBit
    -- Tracking their browsing & click history via Chrome
    --  Searching their emails via GMail
    --  Watching what they type on Google Docs
    --  Scanning their photos via Android
    --  Tracking their health history after obtaining full, unrestricted patient data from one of the U.S.'s largest healthcare organizations.
    --  Tracking where people go via Google Maps

T H A N K    Y O U     A P P L E ! ! !
    ... I am grateful!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 59
    So, Google is now (or will soon):
    -- Tracking people's heart rate & exercise from their FitBit
    -- Tracking their browsing & click history via Chrome
    --  Searching their emails via GMail
    --  Watching what they type on Google Docs
    --  Scanning their photos via Android
    --  Tracking their health history after obtaining full, unrestricted patient data from one of the U.S.'s largest healthcare organizations.
    --  Tracking where people go via Google Maps

T H A N K    Y O U     A P P L E ! ! !
    ... I am grateful!

Uh I think you need to remove the tinfoil hat. And Google doesn’t have unrestricted access to patient data. Whatever you think of the company they’re not that stupid. 

https://www.ascension.org/News/News-Articles/2019/11/12/21/45/Technology-that-improve-patients-lives-caregivers-experience

Let’s not forget this:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90385310/apple-suspends-siri-grading-program-that-lets-contractor-listen-in-on-recordings

muthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 38 of 59
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Language support is still a disgrace.   I am a Dutch speaking Belgium (like 60% of the Belgians) and after spending all these billions Apple Maps is still unable to show me the streetnames in Brussels in Dutch.    And Siri + Maps are still not able to find major roads in Antwerp like Desguinlei and Amerikalei.

Will Maps ever leave a beta status?
    uraharaphilboogiechemengin1muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 59
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    yuck9 said:
    And it still has problems. Leads me on a different path 2 out of 5 times to the same place every day. You should be asking for a refund. They saw you coming.  Today I went to a city I've never been to before.

Ridiculous comment. It give you different directions because it takes into account traffic. I know how to get to work, but when I start my car, and it tells me it will take me 15 minutes longer, I know there's a problem along the normal route and then I use Maps to give me today's directions.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 59
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

felix01 said:

1. Yes it does. I too generally ignore them, but they're there. Keep in mind that Maps uses speed limits or actual time (if slower than speed limits) to calculate ETA.
    2. Yes. Unless there's a fresh accident, Maps is really precise with ETAs for me. For example, when I get in the car it tells me it will take 45 minutes to get home from work, it is usually spot on. Keep in mind, I know how to get home, but that simple little alert let's me know what I'm in for.
    3. Yes. If the alternative route is faster than the normal or original, it will suggest the fastest route. It will also re-route around road closures. I am not interested in in Waze-like features like getting off highways to save a minute or two.
    edited November 2019 watto_cobra