Apple cancels 'The Banker' premiere at AFI Fest, streaming plans unknown

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    I see all the same critical minds who believed Cook mandated G-rated content and wrote “Be more nice!” notes on scripts are out in full force again, inventing their own narratives and congratulating themselves on what bold filmmakers they would be if they weren’t in fact just sitting on the couch watching TV and doing absolutely nothing themselves. Hoorah! Talk about virtue signaling...
    ronnlolliver
  • Reply 22 of 38

@StrangeDays, thanks for telling us what the concerns were.

Apple obviously weighed their options and decided to wait till things cleared up a bit.

I only hope it doesn't cause doubts of uncertainty about releases and push creators away from Apple TV+.

• Reply 23 of 38
    Source, traced from the film’s Wikipedia link and the referenced article from Variety, read the comments:

https://www.indiewire.com/video/the-banker-10-year-development-hell-1202187645/
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 24 of 38
    tylersdad said: There's a reason one of the most popular channels right now is the Hallmark Channel. No controversy. No ridiculous value signaling. 
    You don't think the Hallmark Channel has a specific set of values that it follows for the programming? It's obvious that it does. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 25 of 38
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    apple ][ said:
    I saw the allegations. If true, then Apple got conned into making this movie and yes, they should just cancel it. Never release it. Burn the film, delete the files, whatever.
    Are you saying go full George Lucas?*

*For the non-nerds look up Star Wars Holiday Special.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

”educational story about social change”.

and this is where apple is missing the mark.

people only want to be entertained.  escapism. 
    Not educated on social change.  
    Hmm. Yeah so the producers and viewers of all sorts of civil rights movies would disagree with you. 

Funny how old white guys are the most triggered snowflakes of all. 
    Have to ask, with 9,075 posts, are you an old white guy?
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Then why not air it? If the allegations are about someone who is not depicted in the actual movie, what's the issue? The article didn't explain much at all. I guess those of us who don't know what "Deadline" is are just SOL.
    The article actually did explain, if you read it: "We, along with the filmmakers, need some time to look into these matters and determine the best next steps."
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 28 of 38
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Apple is about Nanny Culture.  Maybe making big boy movies isn’t your cup of tea. 

Let me guess. Bernard Garrett Jr made a gay joke when he was a teen.  Maybe he was seen with a Free Tibet t-shirt on or tweeted support for Hong Kong. This should be a whole lot of fun
    He is accused of sexually molesting his younger sisters. Is that a harmless joke to you? He was credited and billed as a producer on The Banker, so that is certainly the business of its owner and distributor. 

Key word here is "accused" you can allege anything you want about someone.    Now if this was a situation like Black Hawk Down where one of the principal characters in the movie (Grimes) real life character was accused of a sexual assault then it's understandable.   In this case however he is not a central nor peripheral character to the movie so there seems to be little reason to delay the movie.    Here in the United States we're a first world nation with a well defined system of jurisprudence.   We have courts that provide a system of evidentiary collection, cross examination and final adjudication.  

There's no reason to delay the movie because even if Garrett Jr was to win his criminal trial the plaintiff can file a civil trial which only requires a preponderance of guilt.  thus is more likely that the plaintiff could win the civil trial and thus garnish any wages that Garrett Jr has made.   There's no reason to punish all of the people that made that movie. 

Apple can do as they wish but they continue to look like SJW hypocrites when they overreact on small issue and under react on larger issues.   Tim Cook's Apple is simply not a good global citizen.  

• Reply 29 of 38
    razorpit said:

Hmm. Yeah so the producers and viewers of all sorts of civil rights movies would disagree with you. 

Not old. But who I am bears no relevance on the statement I made -- old white guys seem the most triggerable snowflakes of all; I'm constantly reading them complain about ways the world is out to get them.
    ronnlolliverfastasleep
  • Reply 30 of 38

Apple is about Nanny Culture.  Maybe making big boy movies isn’t your cup of tea. 

Let me guess. Bernard Garrett Jr made a gay joke when he was a teen.  Maybe he was seen with a Free Tibet t-shirt on or tweeted support for Hong Kong. This should be a whole lot of fun
    He is accused of sexually molesting his younger sisters. Is that a harmless joke to you? He was credited and billed as a producer on The Banker, so that is certainly the business of its owner and distributor. 

Key word here is "accused" you can allege anything you want about someone.    Now if this was a situation like Black Hawk Down where one of the principal characters in the movie (Grimes) real life character was accused of a sexual assault then it's understandable.   In this case however he is not a central nor peripheral character to the movie so there seems to be little reason to delay the movie.    Here in the United States we're a first world nation with a well defined system of jurisprudence.   We have courts that provide a system of evidentiary collection, cross examination and final adjudication.  

There's no reason to delay the movie because even if Garrett Jr was to win his criminal trial the plaintiff can file a civil trial which only requires a preponderance of guilt.  thus is more likely that the plaintiff could win the civil trial and thus garnish any wages that Garrett Jr has made.   There's no reason to punish all of the people that made that movie. 

Apple can do as they wish but they continue to look like SJW hypocrites when they overreact on small issue and under react on larger issues.   Tim Cook's Apple is simply not a good global citizen.  
    Of course it's only an accusation, which is why he isn't in prison -- he hasn't been convicted of molesting his younger sisters.

While he didn't act as a character in the film, he was a credited producer. If a producer of a film has serious rape charges against him, it's completely within the purview of the film's owners to pump the brakes until they know more. It's their product, not yours.

Curious that you find molesting young girls to be a "small issue" or something that triggers you as "But but but SJW!". If one of my workers was accused of rape by two of his sisters, I'd certainly give pause as well.
    edited November 2019 ronnlolliver
  • Reply 31 of 38
    apple ][ said:
    I saw the allegations. If true, then Apple got conned into making this movie and yes, they should just cancel it. Never release it. Burn the film, delete the files, whatever.
    Apple didn't make the film, they bought it after it was completed.
    ronn
  • Reply 32 of 38

Of course it's only an accusation, which is why he isn't in prison -- he hasn't been convicted of molesting his younger sisters.

While he didn't act as a character in the film, he was a credited producer. If a producer of a film has serious rape charges against him, it's completely within the purview of the film's owners to pump the brakes until they know more. It's their product, not yours.

Curious that you find molesting young girls to be a "small issue" or something that triggers you as "But but but SJW!". If one of my workers was accused of rape by two of his sisters, I'd certainly give pause as well.
    There's also the accusations against them writing out of his story his second wife (who he was married to during the events in the film, where he's depicted as still being with his first wife) and the two daughters from that marriage. The older of the two is writing a book about all the abuse as well. There are multiple facets to this that potentially make this property toxic to Apple, so they're doing their due diligence to make sure this doesn't bite them in the ass. Makes sense to me.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    The Banker too edgy for you Tim? 
    That's not even what's being alleged here. So please, spare us the clumsy trolling. It was *clearly explained* in the article that the person in question is not in the movie and has nothing to do with the content. But you knew that, didn't you?
    How is this "Deadline reports a family member of the Garretts leveled "troubling allegations" about Bernard Garrett Jr., who is not depicted in the movie, and shared those claims with a trade paper that plans to run a story on the subject. Garrett Jr. was a consultant on the film and has participated in promotional activity, the report says." CLEARLY EXPLAINED, as you allege?  What claims are being made?  How is that clearly explained?  Apparently you clearly do not understand because the article fails to report what the issue is.  
  • Reply 34 of 38

tylersdad said:

That's your opinion. Obviously. You have no idea what people want.
    There's a reason one of the most popular channels right now is the Hallmark Channel. No controversy. No ridiculous value signaling. Just good, plain fun. A lot of people--myself included--are sick of being lecture by the shows we watch or used to watch. We've gotten rid of several shows that we regularly watched because they became far more preachy than entertaining. 

After all, isn't this really about entertaining people? 
    Really?  Have you heard of Lori Laughlin and how she spent $500K to get her two daughters into USC by pretending they were athletes?  She was a staple on the Hallmark Channel and they immediately fired her.  No controversy?  Many complained that the Hallmark Channel's movies were 'too white', so they decided to add token African American actors...that act whiter than the white actors.  Look it up.
    ronn
  • Reply 35 of 38

foljs said:
    To make interesting content you need to have guts...

If you cancel things the first time some idiot has some objections, then might as well close shop.

Except if you run a network for children and "will-accept-anything" sci-fi fanbois, like Disney...
    And it is not the first time...Apple killed off the Richard Gere drama because they did not like the context of the show.  Timmy Cook did not approve so they instead paid heavy fines for contract violations because they want to force you to watch white-washed Apple-approved programming.

Clearly Apple has no clue what people want with streaming...they don't want to wait a week to watch another episode...but Apple needs something to make the free trials go beyond a week so people that did not buy an Apple product start paying for 9 shows.
  • Reply 36 of 38

Neither does Apple with the turd they have rolled out.  9 shows...how groundbreaking....and boring.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    razorpit said:

Not old. But who I am bears no relevance on the statement I made -- old white guys seem the most triggerable snowflakes of all; I'm constantly reading them complain about ways the world is out to get them.
    9,000 posts means you need to get a life.  Most statements you make are Apple-fluff crap.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    PaulLPaulL Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    tylersdad said:

There's a reason one of the most popular channels right now is the Hallmark Channel. No controversy. No ridiculous value signaling. Just good, plain fun. A lot of people--myself included--are sick of being lecture by the shows we watch or used to watch. We've gotten rid of several shows that we regularly watched because they became far more preachy than entertaining. 

After all, isn't this really about entertaining people? 
    Enjoy your Gilligan's Island reruns.
    ronn