Tim Cook has eye on 'a lot of interesting small things,' not 'anything big'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Apple CEO Tim Cook, on a press tour of the company's upcoming billion-dollar campus in Austin, Texas, campus on Wednesday, fielded the usual questions -- and offered the usual answers -- about Apple's interests in China, U.S. investments, President Trump and, surprisingly, future initiatives.

Tim Cook
ABC News' Rebecca Jarvis and Apple CEO Tim Cook at Apple's upcoming campus in Austin, Texas. | Source: ABC News

Speaking with ABC News, Cook started off by expressing pride in the U.S. pedigree of Apple's forthcoming Mac Pro, set to arrive in December, a sentiment he repeated during a press conference with Trump earlier today.

"We are really proud to make the MacPro here -- this computer is our most powerful computer we've ever made, by far," Cook said. "It performs over 50 trillion tasks per second. I mean, this is just mind-blowing."

Cook said much the same in statements made after touring Apple's Mac Pro factory -- a facility operated by Flextronics -- with Trump Wednesday afternoon.

As for the president, Cook reiterated his stance on engaging with Trump and the White House, saying he prefers to interface directly with political leaders rather than communicate through surrogates. Cook's willingness to talk to Trump is rare among Silicon Valley CEOs who have distanced themselves from the Republican president. A number of tech industry elite nominated to Trump's business advisory board have since resigned, with Cook remaining as one of few original members.

"I don't believe in having people talk on my behalf," Cook said on Wednesday. "I don't believe in lobbyists. I believe in direct conversation. I strongly believe in engagement. I hate polarization. I despise it."

That said, Apple in October enlisted the services of Trump associate Jeffrey Miller to lobby on behalf of the company as it navigates the China-U.S. trade war.

"No matter who is in White House, the things I'm focused on are going to be the same," Cook said.

On China, Cook is reluctant to speculate on a next round of tariffs on Chinese goods after feeling the pinch on HomePods, AirPods and certain Mac products. The company was able to avoid in part levies on Mac Pro parts. Apple is seeking exemptions on Apple Watch, accessories and, most importantly, iPhone.

"I'm hoping that the U.S. and China come to an agreement, and so I don't even want to go down that road right now," Cook said. "I'm so convinced that it's in the best interest of the U.S. and best interest of China, and so if you have two parties where there's a common best interest there has got to be some kind of path forward here. And I think that will happen."

Echoing previous statements, Cook said Apple is unlikely to bring iPhone manufacturing to the U.S.

When asked about Hong Kong and Apple's controversial decision to remove an app that, according to Chinese officials, posed a threat to police, Cook said the move was not in response to government pressure.

"In the specific app in Hong Kong, we made the decision unilaterally," Cook said. "We made it for safety, and I recognize that somebody can say that is the wrong decision and so forth. We obviously get second guessed a lot when you make tough decisions on apps to be on versus off, but we made it for safety."

He went on to say that China has yet to ask Apple to unlock an iPhone without user consent, as the U.S. government did in the case of a device linked to the San Bernardino shooting in 2016.

"And we stood up against that, and said we can't do it," Cook said of decision to fight FBI demands to create an iPhone backdoor. "Our privacy commitment is a worldwide one."

While most of Cook's comments covered well-trod ground, with some answers pulled from previous public statements almost verbatim, one brief aside did stand out as peculiar. Asked about Apple's future, Cook made the extremely rare decision to offer a vague response.

"I don't have my eye on anything big. I have my eye on a lot of interesting small things," he said.

What, exactly, Cook is hinting at by "small things" remains to be seen, but the company is widely rumored to be working on a variety of devices -- from an AR headset to pie-in-the-sky ideas like an Apple Car -- that would be considered "big" launches if they materialize.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,255member
    I love it when people wear hard hats in an empty parking lot. 
    razorpittrashman69cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25

"I don't have my eye on anything big. I have my eye on a lot of interesting small things," he said.

What, exactly, Cook is hinting at by "small things" remains to be seen
    Apple Tags would be a lot of interesting small things.
    forgot usernamechasmcaladanianapplesnorangesdedgeckorazorpitStrangeDayslollivertrashman69SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 25
    hexclock said:

If I had an Apple branded hard hat, I'd find any excuse to wear it too!
    mejsrichexclockmacguiJapheylolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 25
    hexclock said:
    Same as in any groundbreakings, they shovel the ground in hard hats under blue sky....
    hexclockwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    He really is Tim Apple! His hard hat says so!
    dedgeckohexclockcat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    bsimpsen said:

What, exactly, Cook is hinting at by "small things" remains to be seen
    Apple Tags would be a lot of interesting small things.
    So are $1B factories...
  • Reply 7 of 25
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    hexclock said:
    Never know when that silt fence might kick up in a strong wind...  ;)
    hexclockcat52
  • Reply 8 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    He is right. Regardless of my political views, I applaud his stance. Tim represents Apple shareholders and his own political views should never endanger those shareholders. As he says, he would take the same stance with whoever sits in the White House and that is how it should be.
    edited November 2019 lkruppdewmeroundaboutnowcat52netroxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    MacPro said:
    He is right. Regardless of my political views, I applaud his stance. Tim represents Apple shareholders and his own political views should never endanger those shareholders. As he says, he would take the same stance with whoever sits in the White House and that is how it should be.
    I wonder how many people here have told their financial advisors to dump AAPL because of Cook's sexuality, political leanings, and leadership of Apple? Money talks and bullshit walks, and AAPL is up 40% this year.
    peteoroundaboutnowRayz2016watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 25
    hexclock said:

If I had an Apple branded hard hat, I'd find any excuse to wear it too!
    Yeah I hadn’t noticed that! I’d wear that at work in a second!
  • Reply 11 of 25
    razorpit said:
    hexclock said:
    Never know when that silt fence might kick up in a strong wind...  ;)
    Or a peregrine falcon mistakes your head for a meal. 
    razorpitcat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    hexclock said:
    It’s a construction site and is probably mandatory, along with the high visibility vest and I assume safety shoes and safety glasses. But you have to admit that having an Apple logo on your hard hat, perhaps the as yet unreleased iHardHat, is very geeky cool. Plus, he can take the vest back home to use when he serves as a school crossing guard. He’s also wearing an Apple Watch in case he falls or gets pushed into a trench the watch will summon help. 

I agree with those who applaud Tim doing what’s right for his company and its vast array of stakeholders, including all of us as customers. 
    edited November 2019 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    I understand what Tim Cook is doing, but when you give photo ops with totalitarian figures you give them more power, not less. You make them normal. This is the same thing jimmy fallon did. Why you would want to give that power to a "race-baiting xenophobic bigot" is beyond me. Apple could be working their side in the background. They do not need to give drump photo ops. I mean they are punting F'ing kids in cages while Tim Cook is joking around with the man who loves that it's happening. Normalizing this behavior is not good for America.
    edited November 2019 montrosemacstyler82
  • Reply 14 of 25
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    peteo said:
    I understand what Tim Cook is doing, but when you give photo ops with totalitarian figures you give them more power, not less. You make them normal. This is the same thing jimmy fallon did. Why you would want to give that power to a "race-baiting xenophobic bigot" is beyond me. Apple could be working their side in the background. They do not need to give drump photo ops. I mean they are punting F'ing kids in cages while Tim Cook is joking around with the man who loves that it's happening. Normalizing this behavior is not good for America.
    I don't get it. You are talking about kids in cages and yet no one here mentioned Obama...
    mobirdtrashman69cat52SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    peteo said:
    As John Gruber said on the last Talk Show podcast “He’s a bean Counter” he will suck up to dictators and demogoges to keep the stock price up.   He wants Trump to keep tariffs low and H1B visas up.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    peteo said:
    No politics please, go to CNN.....this is for Apple commentary 
    lollivertrashman69cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    k2kw said:
    peteo said:
    As John Gruber said on the last Talk Show podcast “He’s a bean Counter” he will suck up to dictators and demogoges to keep the stock price up.   He wants Trump to keep tariffs low and H1B visas up.
    What’s wrong with that? He is smart and good for investors and bottom line of Apple.
    trashman69watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    k2kw said:
    peteo said:
    Incorrect, it isn’t about stock price. Apple has repeatedly demonstrated they don’t manage to the stock price. They are focused on product (delighting the customer) and profit (which follows). 
    edited November 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    MacPro said:
    Tim Apple's and Apple's stance is money and profits, period. You are incredibly naive, or fooling yourself, if you believe anything else.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    peteo said:
    Perhaps you’re hallucinating all of these terrible things you seem so sure about. If our President was the person you describe, Tim Cook would never appear with him.
    cat52watto_cobra