X-ray shows how the iPhone 11 Smart Battery Case camera button works

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2020
Apple's Smart Battery Case for the iPhone 11 has a slightly refined design to add the dedicated camera button, x-ray images of the case reveals, with the accessory including an extra circuit board to add extra hardware controls to the smartphone.

[via iFixit and Creative Electron]
[via iFixit and Creative Electron]

Apple launched a new set of Smart Battery Cases for the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max on November 20, with the accessory updated with a larger camera cutout and a new camera button while maintaining the well-known battery hump design. Chiefly, the case is to protect the iPhone while also offering up to 50% more battery life, but this generation introduces the camera button for the first time.

A series of x-rays hosted by iFixit and performed by Creative Electron shows there are a few internal changes to the Smart Battery Case to accommodate the new button, both to position it and to connect it to the iPhone.

A small circuit board is embedded inside the case between the two battery cells and the Lightning port. The board is used as the conduit for connections of other components, including the induction charging coil and the batteries via wires, while a thin flexible circuit runs to the button.

The addition of a button is an interesting choice for Apple, as previously users had the ability to use the volume buttons to trigger the shutter instead of tapping the display. However, the orientation of the camera in relation to the volume button, which would be on the bottom edge if the iPhone is held in a typical landscape fashion, makes it harder to press, and can occasionally cause unwary users to press the power button by mistake.

Aside from being ideally located for taking a photo with the right index finger firing the shutter, the new button is also slightly recessed, minimizing the chance of it being pressed while in a pocket or bag.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    unwary users equals me almost daily when watching video and trying to change the volume - and pressing the volume pushes the phone down which then presses the power button and the phone is off.

which is made worse because stupid facd id cannot work in landscape, so i have to then turn the phone around to unlock it, restart the video and go back to landscape.

there are so many dumb ass design choices in this world i am led to wonder if in the case of iphone if apple staff actually use the device.

would not anyone in the monday meeting be like “seriously x is so damn annoying”.
    toysandmeSpamSandwichGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 15
    unwary users equals me almost daily when watching video and trying to change the volume - and pressing the volume pushes the phone down which then presses the power button and the phone is off.

which is made worse because stupid facd id cannot work in landscape, so i have to then turn the phone around to unlock it, restart the video and go back to landscape.

there are so many dumb ass design choices in this world i am led to wonder if in the case of iphone if apple staff actually use the device.

would not anyone in the monday meeting be like “seriously x is so damn annoying”.
    I've always rotated it the other direction where the volume is on the bottom. Don't have this problem, maybe try rotating it the other way?
    alanhStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Yeah for whatever reason I also rotate the other way, volume on bottom, so hadn’t run into that. 

Like life, product design is full of compromise. We’ll be okay tho. 
    edited November 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    @StrangeDays and @fastasleep ;

out of interest, are either of you left handed? i am so in landscape i hold the phone in my right hand to be able to do stuff on screen with my left. so the phone naturally ends up with the speakers facing left and my right hand on the controls.

and a little more personal - do you sleep on the left side of the bed? such that the phone would be cabled off the left side, making it really awkward to rotate the phone so the cable is out to the right.

and equally regardless of which side, if cabled the phone is very awkward to hold from the cabled end, meaning regardless of rotation you will hold it with fingers over the power button, making it fairly easy to apply pressure.

which finally, would not be a drama if faceId worked in landscape. when this happened to me with touchid i would quickly touch the home button.

it is the regular user experiences that are worth solving - in this case, not the power button but faceID.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I like the concept of the quick launch camera button. I personally have no use for a battery case, but I would upgrade from my current silicone version if they ever applied the idea across the entire case line. Maybe this is a trial run to gauge interest in smart cases (or Pro Cases, haha) with the addition of multiple quick launch buttons. I can’t really think of any uses off the top of my head, except maybe Shazam or flashlight or accessibility shortcuts, but I’m sure others could find better solutions than me. Maybe allow options for these buttons so users could personalize them for their individual needs similar to AirPods. 
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    @StrangeDays and @fastasleep ;

out of interest, are either of you left handed? i am so in landscape i hold the phone in my right hand to be able to do stuff on screen with my left. so the phone naturally ends up with the speakers facing left and my right hand on the controls.

and a little more personal - do you sleep on the left side of the bed? such that the phone would be cabled off the left side, making it really awkward to rotate the phone so the cable is out to the right.

and equally regardless of which side, if cabled the phone is very awkward to hold from the cabled end, meaning regardless of rotation you will hold it with fingers over the power button, making it fairly easy to apply pressure.

which finally, would not be a drama if faceId worked in landscape. when this happened to me with touchid i would quickly touch the home button.

it is the regular user experiences that are worth solving - in this case, not the power button but faceID.
    No, right-handed. Either way it seems to me in messing around with this for a second that rotating it the other way introduces your thumb to the sleep/wake button which is the problem. The opposite direction not so much. I also don't use it with a cable in bed, I have headphones for sleeping that are wired. 

Face ID will work in landscape eventually on the iPhone, not sure why it doesn't already as it does on the iPad Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15

I agree, I think it's a stupid design. My photo lib is filled with screen dumps because of the side button. Wish they but it back on top. That would also be helpful for ambidextrous people.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Yeah for whatever reason I also rotate the other way, volume on bottom, so hadn’t run into that. 

The problem is that Apple designed the phone for 90% of the population.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Rayz2016 said:

Which is kinda strange. I mean, they have laptops with different keyboards (QWERTZ, AZERTY, Shift-lock, et cetera), make a special version of the iPhone for Hongkong and other 'locals', don't get me started on iPad sizes...the list goes on. But in spite of all those different models they don't make products for left-handed people. Kinda strange.

• Reply 10 of 15
    Rayz2016 said:

Which is kinda strange. I mean, they have laptops with different keyboards (QWERTZ, AZERTY, Shift-lock, et cetera), make a special version of the iPhone for Hongkong and other 'locals', don't get me started on iPad sizes...the list goes on. But in spite of all those different models they don't make products for left-handed people. Kinda strange.

So they put a new keyboard in and have keyboard mappings set to the region it uses, have a dual sim board (that covers a huge portion of their customer base), and the iPad is one of the best selling product lines which is also not "left-handed"; I guess the point is none of those are comparable to a left-handed iPhone. There are a lot of things in this world not made for lefties, like writing on anything for example. I could never imagine a time when retooling an entire device for a marginal amount of the user base that might actually buy one.

I get what you're saying, but the only thing that might be plausible is a rocker switch on each side that's programmable. Although shrinking the screen a bit like is rumored for 2020 and moving the lock button to the top again seems like the easiest solution.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobraphilboogie
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I'm probably just a dumbbuttocks, but I've activated Siri enough by holding the sleep button while trying to take bursts that I solely use the on-screen controls. Can't afford to miss shots because I'm too lame to use my phone. Overall though, the sleep button on side is better for sleeping than a button on top.
    watto_cobraphilboogie
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Rayz2016 said:

There's nothing about being right or left handed that forces you rotate your phone one direction or the other to reach landscape mode.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    There's nothing about being right or left handed that forces you rotate your phone one direction or the other to reach landscape mode.
    That is most certainly true!

• Reply 14 of 15
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Sounds like a good design.  I would love it if the smart case also had a charge port for USB TYPE C.   That would provide the convenience of using either type of cable or Type C charging while using lightning head phones.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    With the AR games draining the battery like they do, I can see more and more people getting battery cases. The Wizards Unite drains the battery fast, but the Minecraft Earth is much faster, especially during the adventure times.