'iPhone 12' line expected to use two different OLED screen technologies

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Gaby said:
    It makes an enormous difference, particularly to content; especially so with HDR, and particularly the 11pro line with Dolby vision etc, not to mention differences with outdoor viewing. I mean the new 11 pro has typical home screen brightness of 957 nits. Average brightness 800-902nits - higher outdoors. And HDR content up to a measured 1090 full screen white which peaks at up to 1290 nits for smaller(20%) areas of screen. And believe me, this is not me geeking out at numbers - this is readily apparent to anyone that isn’t A.) blind as a bat, or B.) one of those people that float through life not really paying attention. (You know the sort that never notice a change in your appearance) It is major for anyone with a critical eye, or photographer/videographers. Truly a marvel of engineering. I know it’s small scale but this beats out Panasonic’s custom OLED reference monitors! And they’re stunning. 
    That is not to diminish Apple LCD’s - they’re state of the art, and very accurate. But they don’t hold a candle to this new generation at least. 
    So, in short, they don’t hold a candela to this new generation ;)

I agree the higher nits is much welcomed by me on the 11 Pro.

• Reply 22 of 31
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    GooeyGUI said:
    Tim's next F U to Job's legacy. Job's wanted all of their devices to be visually similar as far as pixel density, resolution, and panel technology so that if you look at an image on one device, it will look the same on the other. But nah we need to bring the old "Apple tax" fodder to a whole new level. Ironic, as they go back to an iPhone 4 like bezel, you know, during the time Job's was still innovating.

Tim has ruined Apple for me, and them switching to ARM used to excite me to no end. Now I don't care at all.
    Give me (and Tim) a break!
    edited November 2019 netmagewatto_cobraStrangeDaysdoozydozen
  • Reply 23 of 31
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    gatorguy said:
    mike1 said:
    So are we to read into this that the low end display will be coming from LG? It would seem more likely to me that that would fit better with the so-called 'entry level' device (i.e., the least expensive phone).
    while it will be joined by LG Display for the 6.1-inch version.

This source claims both LG and Samsung will supply the 6.1" screen.
    I'd expect LG to supply the OLED for the cheapest of the three. Samsung the other two. No way they mix screens from two sources on the same model. It would be inviting the same lottery discussions that followed the "what modem do I have, QC or Intel"  a few years ago. 
    I hope the 2020 models come with both Qualcomm modems and Samsung OLED displays.   It would be disappointing if Apple cheapskate out on the display when they have finally got the modem right.   
  • Reply 24 of 31
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,939member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    MplsP said:
    So is OLED dramatically better on iPhone screens? Do you really notice a difference?
    In a word, no. 
    Haha. I was about to say "absolutely, the blacks are so much better." I guess it's very subjective.

mike1 said:
    The predecessor to the iPhone 11 Pro will have a smaller 5.4” display??
    Huh? The X, XS and 11 Pro have all had 5.4" displays.
    no, they're 5.8". 

The iPhone SE (the whole device, not the screen) was exactly 5.39" diagonal, so this would be a new small size class, or a return depending on how you look at it…
    yuck9 said:
    Might want to see a ophthalmologist.

So is OLED dramatically better on iPhone screens? Do you really notice a difference?
    In a word, no. 

I have a Xs with an OLED screen. My wife just updated her 6s to an 11 with a LCD screen. Her first comment was how great screen looked. Later when she asked what the difference was between her phone and mine, I mentioned the OLED vs LCD screens. She held them up, side by side and couldn't tell the difference. Neither can I for 99% of the use. If I use my phone as a clock on my nightstand, having a black screen rather than a dark charcoal grey screen is nice, but in general, the LCD screens Apple uses are high quality and you won't notice the difference.

Gaby said:
    MplsP said:
    In a word, no. 

I have a Xs with an OLED screen. My wife just updated her 6s to an 11 with a LCD screen. Her first comment was how great screen looked. Later when she asked what the difference was between her phone and mine, I mentioned the OLED vs LCD screens. She held them up, side by side and couldn't tell the difference. Neither can I for 99% of the use. If I use my phone as a clock on my nightstand, having a black screen rather than a dark charcoal grey screen is nice, but in general, the LCD screens Apple uses are high quality and you won't notice the difference.
    It makes an enormous difference, particularly to content; especially so with HDR, and particularly the 11pro line with Dolby vision etc, not to mention differences with outdoor viewing. I mean the new 11 pro has typical home screen brightness of 957 nits. Average brightness 800-902nits - higher outdoors. And HDR content up to a measured 1090 full screen white which peaks at up to 1290 nits for smaller(20%) areas of screen. And believe me, this is not me geeking out at numbers - this is readily apparent to anyone that isn’t A.) blind as a bat, or B.) one of those people that float through life not really paying attention. (You know the sort that never notice a change in your appearance) It is major for anyone with a critical eye, or photographer/videographers. Truly a marvel of engineering. I know it’s small scale but this beats out Panasonic’s custom OLED reference monitors! And they’re stunning. 
    That is not to diminish Apple LCD’s - they’re state of the art, and very accurate. But they don’t hold a candle to this new generation at least. 
    It is absolutely subjective. It also depends on the type of use and the environment in which you're using your phone.

I'm well aware of the differences in the technical specs. The higher contrast ratios with OLED screens come primarily by making the blacks blacker and if you're watching a movie in a dark room you can tell the difference. Most people don't spend a lot of time watching 4K movies on their iPhones, though. Before I got my Xs, I compared the screens of the Xs and the Xr side by side in the store and there was virtually no difference between them. Try as I might, I couldn't tell any practical difference in the resolution, either. 

My wife is what I would call a typical smartphone user. She checks email, facebook, etc. Occasionally will watch a Netflix or youtube video but if she's going to do a ton of watching she'll use an iPad. (seriously - if you're worried about 4K HDR, why are you using a 5.8" smartphone?) She compared the iPhone 11 and 11pro in the Apple store and when I pointed out the differences she could see them but really didn't care. The other thing to remember is that when you use your phone, you're not using it side by side, comparing it with the best phone on the market, you're just using it. The real question is, will you be thinking "Damn - I wish I had a better screen." or will you be using your phone and not thinking about the screen?

The 11pro has an incredible screen, but the screen on the 11 still awesome, just not incredible. For some people these differences may matter. For the tech geeks that like to compare specs they will certainly matter, but the vast majority of users will be completely happy with the screen on the 11. Figure out what kind of user you are, look at the screens independently in the store and get the one you like, but don't waste money on a screen that makes someone else happy.
    philboogiegatorguynetmagewatto_cobraguscatdoozydozen
  • Reply 25 of 31
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,303member
    Just get QCOM chips back in the next iPhone; the OLED displays will all be excellent.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    This isn’t the first time we’ve heard this, but I have difficulty believing the low end phone will be OLED.  The screen is one of the big differentiators, having OLED on the low end is going to push many people that direction.  A faster phone at the high end isn’t enough to spend an additional $300+.

Now if the low end OLED is relatively low quality (not likely knowing Apple) people might just not upgrade or buy the discounted previous generation.

The only reason I can think of, of going all OLED is to keep a uniform design and it’s not possible with LCD screens...like a zero bezel design.
    A separate rumor has it that Apple will be releasing an iPhone 8 based "SE2" and that that will be the 'low-end' machine.
    I have trouble believing that Apple will continue the wide bezel format, but either way, it is likely to be a entry level LED display.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    Gaby said:
    mike1 said:
    Uhm no.... 5.8” in point of fact. That’s why this holds no water in my opinion. 
    The rumor has been for months 5.4/6.7”, instead of 5.8/6.5” for the Pro/Pro Max, multiple sources including Kuo, who time and again nails the display sizes. The previous rumor of 5G on all three, which never made sense unless the prices for the 12/12 Pro and 12 Pro Max were going to be $999, $1,299 and $1,399 (i.e. no chance in hell), or if 5G was an optional upgrade.

Now we’re starting to get more nuanced rumors, such as ProMotion for the Pro models, 5G optional and only available on one model, which could be the 5.4” or the 6.7”; I suppose the 6.7” is most likely. The Y-octa tech makes no difference, that’s all about cost. 
    I was actually responding to the commenters that said they had always had 5.4” screen....

however I still disagree with your comment! They’re not going to shrink one of their top end devices by almost half an inch. That’s ludicrous. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 28 of 31
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Likely 120Hz for the high-end pro models, while sticking with 60Hz for the base model. Hopefully Apple can reliably create a 120Hz OLED, as the fastest smartphone OLEDs currently on the market (via Android) seem to top out at 90Hz. 
    edited November 2019 guscat
  • Reply 29 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,246member
    1983 said:
    Likely 120Hz for the high-end pro models, while sticking with 60Hz for the base model. Hopefully Apple can reliably create a 120Hz OLED, as the fastest smartphone OLEDs currently on the market (via Android) seem to top out at 90Hz. 
    Asus ROG Phone 2 runs at 120Hz, but it is a fairly recent release. I'd expect several more phones with similar displays in the next few months.

FWIW Samsung already has the proper display in the works and IMO would be the likely source. I don't think LG currently has the chops for producing consistent high quality displays of that caliber which is why I'd expect LG to make the OLED for the base entry model, not the "pro" ones. 
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Gaby said:
    Gaby said:
    mike1 said:
    Uhm no.... 5.8” in point of fact. That’s why this holds no water in my opinion. 
    The rumor has been for months 5.4/6.7”, instead of 5.8/6.5” for the Pro/Pro Max, multiple sources including Kuo, who time and again nails the display sizes. The previous rumor of 5G on all three, which never made sense unless the prices for the 12/12 Pro and 12 Pro Max were going to be $999, $1,299 and $1,399 (i.e. no chance in hell), or if 5G was an optional upgrade.

Now we’re starting to get more nuanced rumors, such as ProMotion for the Pro models, 5G optional and only available on one model, which could be the 5.4” or the 6.7”; I suppose the 6.7” is most likely. The Y-octa tech makes no difference, that’s all about cost. 
    I was actually responding to the commenters that said they had always had 5.4” screen....

however I still disagree with your comment! They’re not going to shrink one of their top end devices by almost half an inch. That’s ludicrous. 
    Ludicrous is a perfect description of your deciding that the best source of display size forecasts is wrong just because you think he’s wrong. I think I’ll go with Kuo on this, no offense. 
    guscat
  • Reply 31 of 31
    MplsP said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    MplsP said:
    In a word, no. 
    Haha. I was about to say "absolutely, the blacks are so much better." I guess it's very subjective.

mike1 said:
    no, they're 5.8". 

The iPhone SE (the whole device, not the screen) was exactly 5.39" diagonal, so this would be a new small size class, or a return depending on how you look at it…
    yuck9 said:
    Might want to see a ophthalmologist.

In a word, no. 

Gaby said:
    MplsP said:
    In a word, no. 

It is absolutely subjective. It also depends on the type of use and the environment in which you're using your phone.

I'm well aware of the differences in the technical specs. The higher contrast ratios with OLED screens come primarily by making the blacks blacker and if you're watching a movie in a dark room you can tell the difference. Most people don't spend a lot of time watching 4K movies on their iPhones, though. Before I got my Xs, I compared the screens of the Xs and the Xr side by side in the store and there was virtually no difference between them. Try as I might, I couldn't tell any practical difference in the resolution, either. 

My wife is what I would call a typical smartphone user. She checks email, facebook, etc. Occasionally will watch a Netflix or youtube video but if she's going to do a ton of watching she'll use an iPad. (seriously - if you're worried about 4K HDR, why are you using a 5.8" smartphone?) She compared the iPhone 11 and 11pro in the Apple store and when I pointed out the differences she could see them but really didn't care. The other thing to remember is that when you use your phone, you're not using it side by side, comparing it with the best phone on the market, you're just using it. The real question is, will you be thinking "Damn - I wish I had a better screen." or will you be using your phone and not thinking about the screen?

The 11pro has an incredible screen, but the screen on the 11 still awesome, just not incredible. For some people these differences may matter. For the tech geeks that like to compare specs they will certainly matter, but the vast majority of users will be completely happy with the screen on the 11. Figure out what kind of user you are, look at the screens independently in the store and get the one you like, but don't waste money on a screen that makes someone else happy.
    I could not agree with you more. I had a X, and when I compared my phone to people who owned a XR, it was really hard to tell the phone screens apart. A couple of years ago, I upgraded from a 2014 MacBook Air to a 4K 21.5" iMac, and the difference in the screen quality blew me away. When I traded in my X for a XR, I didn't feel like the difference in those screens was remotely like the difference between my Air and my iMac screen, and I certainly didn't think the difference was worth $250. A lot of this of course is because as you've pointed out the XR/11 screens are really terrific screens, and a lot better than my Air screen was.

I really think a lot of the difference is psychological. You pay $1000+ for a phone, you want to believe the screen quality is way better than a phone that costs hundreds less. I also think there's a certain amount of self-flattery involved in which people get to talk about how much more perspicacious they are than the rest of us. But I'm with your wife. i feel like eh differences between my XR/now 11 screens and at least my X were slight at best, and certainly not worth $300 or more.