Review: Linksys Velop Wi-Fi 6 mesh router provides the best speeds for your iPhone 11

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Linksys Velop mesh routers have been a fan-favorite, and now they've been updated with a new version that supports the latest Wi-Fi 6. We check out the new Linksys MX10 Velop AX routers to see if jumping on the Wi-Fi 6 bandwagon makes sense.

Linksys MX10 Velop AX mesh router

Wi-Fi 6 is still emerging technology. It was only standardized in September of 2019. Since then, only a couple Wi-Fi 6 routers have hit the market -- including the AX5300 Velop system from Linksys. Millions of people already own a Wi-Fi 6 device -- the latest iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max.

The Linksys MX10 Velop AX system is a mesh router that can be expanded to fit your home. Smaller homes may only need a single Velop node, while larger or multi-level homes may want a second or even third. A two-pack should cover a home up to 6000 square feet, depending on layout and wall materials.

Linksys MX10 Velop AX mesh router ports (from top to bottom) USB 3, four LAN ports, WAN port, & power
Linksys MX10 Velop AX mesh router ports (from top to bottom) USB 3, four LAN ports, WAN port, & power

It is a tall rectangle with a status light and vent ports on the top and a series of ports along the back. The ports include the power input, a WAN port, four LAN ports, and a USB 3.0 port.

The router supports three bands (one 2.4GHz and two 5GHz) and has 4x4 MU-MIMO for improved simultaneous connections. The whole router is powered by a 2.2Ghz quad-core processor and OFDMA technology for better speeds in high-density areas.

Setup

Linksys has gone to great lengths to simplify the setup process for its Velop routers. It is all done through the Linksys app -- same used for other routers including the lower-end Velop models.

Setup complete in the Linksys app
Setup complete in the Linksys app

Set up is simple. Connect the primary node to your ISP and power, connect satellite nodes to the network, then launch the Linksys app. It guides you through the painless process. Once the initial node is configured, you can add the second (or third) node or complete the setup.

From within the Linksys app, there is a swath of available functions ranging from administrative to informative.

Full menu in the Linksys app
Full menu in the Linksys app

The home screen of the app shows the network at a high-level. This includes internet connectivity, plus how many devices are paired. There is a share button to pass off the network credentials to others, a quick toggle for the guest network, set up for parental controls, and a shortcut for device prioritization.

Swiping open the left-hand menu brings other significant panes. There is a tab for Wi-Fi settings, control for external storage connected to the router's USB port, an in-app speed test, the notification toggle, Velop administration, Advanced network settings, and your account.

We won't go through everything listed, but we wanted to touch on a few useful aspects.

Home view of the Linksys app
Home view in the Linksys app

Device prioritization is useful to prioritize network traffic to essential devices such as a gaming console or 4K streaming box like an Apple TV. Only three devices can be prioritized -- for obvious reasons.

For those who keep a close eye on their network, the notifications can be helpful. They alert you whenever a node goes offline. It could signal a problem your entire network, or a node in particular. This helps troubleshoot issues before they become truly problematic for the user.

The speed test is helpful as it gives you a reading direct from the router, not what your phone is getting. Those will be the speeds straight from the ISP, which could tell you if the slow speeds are coming from your network setup or the ISP.

You can include a password to control access to connected storage. Even if users are on your network, they can't access your storage without a separate set of credentials.

Useful features

The Velop AC5300 tri-band (left) compared to the new Velop AX5300 Wi-Fi 6 router (right)
The Velop AC5300 tri-band (left) compared to the new Velop AX5300 Wi-Fi 6 router (right)

The MX10 Velop AX system has many useful features packed in, more than any other Velop router.

Most notably is support for Wi-Fi 6 802.11ax, which in-and-of-itself offers improvements over 802.11ac -- its predecessor. Linksys says you can expect up to four times better performance than an AC router. In the performance section outlined below, you will see the real-world speeds we experienced.

Thanks to Wi-Fi 6, users should also see a possible increase in battery life for their IoT and mobile devices. Wi-Fi 6 allows a device to negotiate when and how often it wakes up to send/receive data, which will substantially improve its battery life. To truly get a handle on this, we'll need to get more Wi-Fi 6 devices of various makes and models. We'll report back on this in the future.

Linksys MX10 Velop AX mesh router can expand to fit your home

Other improvements we appreciate was finally additional gigabit Ethernet ports and the USB port -- both of which we outlined above. If there were something we'd like to change, it would be trading out the USB-A for a USB-C port. A router -- especially one as new and future-proofed as this -- should last a long while, and it is frustrating to see the older port. That said -- we'd likely plug something in once and leave it, so not a huge deal.

One feature we don't see -- and Linksys has remained mum on -- is HomeKit support. Linksys promised HomeKit support would be coming in a forthcoming update to the tri-band Velop AC routers but won't comment on whether the Wi-Fi 6 version will get the same treatment. HomeKit support adds useful security features to your router, and we hope that Linksys updates these models as well.

Performance

Network administration can be an arduous undertaking. There are so many variables from ISP issues, to router placement, to what devices are connected that can cause a sizable impact on performance. So while these are our results, you can't necessarily expect identical speeds of your own.

To test the router, we wired it up to our Gigabit Ethernet network. Our ISP says speeds should be at 960Mbps down and 40Mbps up. While we can't control the actual data transfer speed from the ISP or the sites/servers we access, that will be our baseline. Each test was performed multiple times.

The first thing we tested was a wired connection with a Thunderbolt 3 Ethernet adapter. Our MacBook Pro was regularly reaching speeds of 950Mbps when using Fast.com and Speedtest.net. During that test, we also saw it peaking above 1Gbps.

Linksys MX10 Velop AX mesh router has amazing speeds
Linksys MX10 Velop AX mesh router can achieve amazing speeds

We next turned to mobile with our brand new iPhone 11 Pro Max. The entire iPhone 11 family support Wi-Fi 6 802.11ax -- the first and only Apple devices to do so. When we ran several speed tests next to the primary node, we were averaging speeds around mid-700Mbps. At times, it spiked above 800Mbps.

For comparison, the same test on our Linksys Velop tri-band 802.11ac router, we only garnered speeds around the mid-100's.

We repeated the test near our second node, testing the speed when the network has to wirelessly go from our iPhone, to the secondary node, to the primary node. We were able to confirm which node it was connected to form within the Linksys app. This time, we too saw speeds above 700Mbps, though maybe slightly closer to 700Mbps than 800Mbps.

Should you grab one?

If you have an iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, or another Wi-Fi 6-enabled device, it is possibly worth considering if you already need a new router and want to take advantage of the best speeds possible.

The rub is that as there are so few devices thus far that can fully take advantage of the router, most people won't notice vast differences in the speed. If you are one who likes to future-proof your setup and need a router, we recommend the Linksys MX10 Velop AX with the anticipation everything will be moving there in the next couple years -- including Apple's newest Macs, iPads, and Apple TVs.

Two Linksys MX10 Velop AX mesh routers in their box

Another limiting factor may also be the speeds you are getting from your ISP. If you are only subscribing to 50Mbps Internet, then having a router that supports well beyond that is just extra headroom for growth, or bandwidth for network connections between devices like a network-attached storage appliance or similar.

There is no doubt that the Linksys MX10 Velop AX mesh router is excellent -- it showed significant real-world speed on our iPhone 11 Pro Max. Other devices show minor speed improvements as well because of the power of the router itself -- but with the price still so high for Wi-Fi 6, it is hard to justify for the vast majority of people.

Pros
  • Supports Wi-Fi 6 802.11ax

• Four gigabit Ethernet ports

• USB 3.0 port for printers and storage

• Great mobile app

• Pairs with the latest iPhone 11 line

• Easy setup
Cons
  • New technology is still expensive

• Much larger than other Velop routers

• Not many devices support Wi-Fi 6 yet

• No explicit HomeKit Router support

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

-- assuming you're in the market for a Wi-Fi 6 router right now. Otherwise, you probably should wait a generation for prices to fall.

Where to buy

A single Linksys Velop AX5300 MX10 router will set you back $399 on Amazon while a two-pack saves you a hundred and runs $699.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    WiFi 6 will add some relief to already congested WiFi networks but true benefit of WiFi 6 speed won't be realized until 6Ghz clear channel will be implemented in routers,devices.
    matrix077
  • Reply 2 of 15
    The other thing about Wifi 6 is that its supposed to have better speed at the max range of the wifi.  So depending on the size of your house a single Wifi 6 router may do a better job of covering your house then a previous generation router.  I have a gaming router that struggles out in my garage but covers the rest of the house.  Hopefully with the new standard i can stick with a single router rather than going with a mesh solution(nothing wrong with Mesh solutions at all, I just prefer as few hops in the routing as possible).  I would be curious how much latency, if at all noticeable, is introduced when connecting to the extension vs the hardwired node these.
    edited December 2019 caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    wood1208 said:
    WiFi 6 will add some relief to already congested WiFi networks but true benefit of WiFi 6 speed won't be realized until 6Ghz clear channel will be implemented in routers,devices.
    What is “6Ghz clear channel”?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    If you were only getting 100Mb/s on your 3 x 3 ac deployment there was very obviously something wrong with that test.   Clearly the comparison is wrong, you won’t be getting 8x performance.  
    fastasleepmatrix077watto_cobraJustSomeGuy1
  • Reply 5 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    wood1208 said:
    What is “6Ghz clear channel”?
    In WiFi 6, 6 Ghz (5.925 GHz up to 7.125 GHz); legacy Wi-Fi 4 and Wi-Fi 5 devices will not be allowed. Wi-Fi 6 radios on these frequencies will not have to compensate for Wi-Fi 4/5 radios barging into their transmissions. WiFi 6 6Ghz(not WiFi 6 2.4/5Ghz) will have clear channel/band/frequencies for itself for transmission.
    edited December 2019 matrix077watto_cobrarundhvid
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I bought the AC5300 last year (3 node system) because of the glowing reviews and it's been very troublesome. The remote nodes drop out frequently for no apparent reason, the range is not particularly remarkable, and the management software is horrid. I'm pretty sure this one has the same issues. Pass.
    StrangeDaysmatrix077watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    I just bought a second AirPort Extreme ac to improve coverage in my house. $35 and practically brand new. I think I’m good. :)
    matrix077watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    These look fantastic. Great job on the video. Once the price comes down it seems like it's time to upgrade. I'm using an Apple Time Capsule from 2013 along with an Airport Express to cover my 3 story home. Since setting up here last year I have experienced "stuttering" of my network that impacts my Apple TV, Libratone speaker, etc. It's so bad on the Libratone speaker that I mostly use the Blue Tooth connection because the music drops in and out with Airplay. The Apple TV 'stutters" and sometimes you wait up to a minute for the streaming to continue. Since the house is located in the city on a populated intersection, there are many nearby networks. I've tried changing channels and other basic trouble shooting. If anyone has any tips on how to diagnose and or correct this I would be very appreciative. I'm tried searching google but I'm not sure that I'm searching for the correct terms or words. Suggestion welcome.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I bought the AC5300 last year (3 node system) because of the glowing reviews and it's been very troublesome. The remote nodes drop out frequently for no apparent reason, the range is not particularly remarkable, and the management software is horrid. I'm pretty sure this one has the same issues. Pass.
    Yeah some friends bought the one sold in the Apple Store. One node was flaky and it was seemingly impossible to re-configure it, couldn't get the app to recognize it. Even when working the speed loss from the wired node to the wireless nodes elsewhere in house was dramatic; certainly not some kind of "mesh magic". Meh.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    These look fantastic. Great job on the video. Once the price comes down it seems like it's time to upgrade. I'm using an Apple Time Capsule from 2013 along with an Airport Express to cover my 3 story home. Since setting up here last year I have experienced "stuttering" of my network that impacts my Apple TV, Libratone speaker, etc. It's so bad on the Libratone speaker that I mostly use the Blue Tooth connection because the music drops in and out with Airplay. The Apple TV 'stutters" and sometimes you wait up to a minute for the streaming to continue. Since the house is located in the city on a populated intersection, there are many nearby networks. I've tried changing channels and other basic trouble shooting. If anyone has any tips on how to diagnose and or correct this I would be very appreciative. I'm tried searching google but I'm not sure that I'm searching for the correct terms or words. Suggestion welcome.
    Grab something like NetSpot or any WiFi scanner app that can show you all the networks around you and their channels and how strong they are. Try changing the channel to something that's not being used by anything else nearby.

Also check that the "line of site" between your router and other router, or devices that use WIFI, don't have any major obstructions. Keep in mind that a shallow angle going through a wall may cause way more obstruction than a perpendicular angle going straight through it. 
    watto_cobraavon b7
  • Reply 11 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Holy pricing batman
  • Reply 12 of 15
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    These days single or mesh router is too expensive.
    Even current 5Ghz wifi still has less congestion then 2.4Ghz wifi.
    I will wait for price come down to under $200.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    This was on sale for $299 so I bought one to upgrade my main Velop node (It will work with the old ones)
    Setup didn't go so well as their upgrade process did not work correctly, also when you do upgrade it does not keep any of your settings from the old master node.
    But once I got it setup its been working really good. This definitely has a range improvement over the older Velops and everything is working better. I'm seeing improved speeds even on my 802.11 AC devices and iphone 11 is about 200, 300Mbps more.
    The one down side is the Ethernet ports are only 1g. That is not much future proofing. I have 1gig internet connection but our provider will be rolling out 2 Gig in a year or so and my PC can be upgraded to 2.5/5gb Ethernet pretty cheaply. I'm hoping that they will add support to the USB 3.1 port to enable using a 5/2.5GBe adapter.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I much prefer Netgear's Orbi mesh system. Currently have a router and two satellites on a wired backhaul. Works wonderfully.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    A word of caution for anyone considering purchasing this product. The original Velop had a firmware update four months ago (Nov 2019) that disconnected Tp-Link and Lifx plugs and light switches. To date there has no been fix provided except rolling back the firmware to an older version. It does not appear that Linksys has any intention of fixing this error -after all how long should it take to fix a firmware that was functional once - and yet they continue to market what can only accurately be described as a faulty product to an unsuspecting public. Talk about unethical business practices!!!

The information about this firmware problem is true and accurate and can be confirmed at  Linksys Community.  PSA - 1.1.10.197424 FOR WHW0301, WHW0302, WHW0303 POSTED

edited March 2020 avon b7