Qualcomm working to deliver 5G iPhone 'as fast as we can'

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
Qualcomm President Cristiano Amon on Wednesday said the chipmaker is hard at work on a 5G modem solution for Apple's iPhone, the first major project in a renewed partnership the companies struck in April.

5G iPhone

Amon provided commentary on Qualcomm's multi-year licensing agreement with Apple at the Snapdragon Tech Summit, saying an important first step will be the introduction of a 5G iPhone, reports PCMag.

"Priority number one of this relationship with Apple is how to launch their phone as fast as we can. That's the priority," Amon said.

To do so, Apple might not use Qualcomm's RF front end, a package of antennas, tuners and other circuitry that sits between network signals and a device's cellular modem. The advent of 5G has placed renewed emphasis on RF front end design, as the right mix of components can bolster access to the burgeoning wireless technology.

Amon suggests Apple was in the process of finalizing its 5G iPhone modem setup when the two companies settled a worldwide legal dispute in April. As such, Apple will likely rely on a Snapdragon modem with a front end assembled from components supplied by other manufacturers, at least for a 5G handset expected to debut in 2020.

"We have a multi-year agreement with [Apple.] It's not one, it's not two, it's multi-year for our Snapdragon modem. We're setting no expectations on front end, especially because we engaged it very late," Amon said. "We re-engaged probably later than both of us would like, and I think we've been working together to try to get as much as possible done, and take as much possible advantage of what they've done before so that we can actually launch a phone on schedule with 5G."

PCMag notes Apple will need to use Qualcomm parts if it intends to produce iPhone models compatible with mmWave 5G technology, as the chipmaker is the sole manufacturer of antennas that work with networks operated by Verizon and AT&T. That lines up with an analyst report on Tuesday which claims two of the four iPhones Apple plans to market next year will support mmWave 5G. All four models are thought to be compatible with the slower, but more robust sub-6GHz 5G spectrum.

Looking beyond 2020, Apple could transition to a complete Snapdragon solution, or what Qualcomm calls a "modem-RF system."

Apple is rumored to be working toward an in-house 5G modem that could be ready by 2022. The tech giant is anticipated to leverage assets purchased from previous modem partner Intel to complete the project, with an eye on integration in its A-series system-on-chip designs by 2023.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    So Verizon and AT&T are locked into a proprietary modem for the supposed 5G standard. Is 5G a standard or is it proprietary? 
    docbburkmattinozGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    i hope apple rips the rug from qualcomm

look at them crowing and they have not done a thing except extort.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I can guess who won this battle.
    cy_starkman
  • Reply 4 of 20
    When I read an article that has multiple absolutes as this article has, I start looking for the information that was purposely excluded. 

Apple has been doing R&D on mmWave antennas for a while and has been working closely with Verizon specifically on mmWave antenna technology. 

With Qualcomm’s next court date approaching, the company is pushing its view hard and a complicit tech media looking for as many clicks as possible will unquestioning regurgitate anything that sounds clickable. 

cy_starkmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    irrespective of Qualcomm's jibber-jabber talk, we know Apple will release 5G iPhones in 2020.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    rob53 said:
    So Verizon and AT&T are locked into a proprietary modem for the supposed 5G standard. Is 5G a standard or is it proprietary? 
    Article doesn’t state that Verizon and AT&T are locked into a proprietary modem. It states that they need antennas for their specific frequency bands. 
    Solimike1
  • Reply 7 of 20
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    flydog said:
    rob53 said:
    Article doesn’t state that Verizon and AT&T are locked into a proprietary modem. It states that they need antennas for their specific frequency bands. 
    Which are only provided by Qualcomm. Sounds proprietary to me. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    There are only 3 certainties in life: death, taxes, and Qualcomm losing Apple as a client within 5 years. 
    cy_starkmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    rob53 said:
    flydog said:
    rob53 said:
    Which are only provided by Qualcomm. Sounds proprietary to me. 
    I don't think radio frequencies can be owned. They can be reserved and managed, therefore illegal to use, but not owned.

rob53 said:
    Ownership and being a standard aren't mutually exclusive. USB is one of countless examples of proprietary tech that is also a standard. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    While I'm sure Qualcomm's PR is working hard on trying to make their business not look exploitive (just another player in the industry folks! We're not domineering over this segment of the market at all!) I can't but help read this as: "All of Qualcomm's current 5G modems are garbage."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    From this news it seems like the onus is on being able get a 5G sticker on the box as soon as possible.

Logical if we suppose that the next window of opportunity would be late 2021.

The actual 5G solution would not be the finely tuned solution that both parties would actually prefer but it would get the sticker on the box.

I think the reasons are understandable but I would also venture that the full QC 5G package that will be shipping on many Android phones in September 2020 will be more efficient.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Apple will have 5G in their phones before we know it. It's what everyone is going to have soon.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    avon b7 said:
    I think the reasons are understandable but I would also venture that the full QC 5G package that will be shipping on many Android phones in September 2020 will be more efficient.
    Why would an Android phone released in September 2020, be any more 5G efficient than an iPhone released in September 2020?  You don't think Apple engineers were aware that the company would settle with Qualcomm and be working on their solution long before that was announced?

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I can guess who won this battle.
    It's not clear that there were any winners.   But obviously there are many millions of losers as Apple continues to spin their wheels wondering around in circles. 

From Qualcomm
    to Intel
    Back to Qualcomm
    But maybe not -- they are now apparently trying to build a hodge-podge system from multiple venders
    And, eventually, hoping to do it all internally...

Meanwhile, while Apple, U.S. carriers and the U.S government flounder around, China and Huawei are forging ahead...  
    ... One looks like a world leader, the other looks like ....

• Reply 15 of 20
    avon b7 said:
    From this news it seems like the onus is on being able get a 5G sticker on the box as soon as possible.

The actual 5G solution would not be the finely tuned solution that both parties would actually prefer but it would get the sticker on the box.

But less so than Huawei's.   But, oh!  I forgot!   We hate Huawei!
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 16 of 20
    goofy1958 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Why would an Android phone released in September 2020, be any more 5G efficient than an iPhone released in September 2020?  You don't think Apple engineers were aware that the company would settle with Qualcomm and be working on their solution long before that was announced?

That has been Apple's history since getting into a pissing contest with Qualcomm -- having less efficient and effective gear. 
    We will see if Apple's hodge-podge approach improves up QC's integrated approach.   I have my doubts.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    goofy1958 said:
    avon b7 said:

Android vendors that go with QC will largely pick-up the whole package (optimised antenna array included in their designs). That, paired with the 865 looks to be a nice setup for Android vendors.

This article points to another situation where Apple possibly already has its design in the pipe and, seeing as the modem itself is the most important element and time is pressing, it reads as if that is the priority: getting a 5G modem into an iPhone ASAP. The rest can wait.

From the outside, I don't think Apple engineering knew 'long before' the deal was announced that QC would be the modem they would be using.

Some years down the road we will know how things played out but right now I believe intel failed to deliver in the timeframes Apple had mapped out and with the efficiency Apple demanded. When that failed we had another 'Yikes!' moment (similar to a previous famous Yikes! moment with the Power Mac G3) and ended up with QC (and everything involved with that marriage).

If Apple had planned this plan B long before, I doubt this kind of article would have been needed.

edited December 2019
  • Reply 18 of 20
    avon b7 said:

Ha! Yes. For sure.

Although I saw a rundown of the SD865 and it looks very good. Next year's 5G QC-Android phones will be very competitive and will make the wait to September 2020 (possible next iPhone launch) a hard slog for Apple.

Early 2020 will see some very important announcements for handsets and 5G will be right at the top of the feature lists of those handsets.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 19 of 20
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Ha! Yes. For sure.

Although I saw a rundown of the SD865 and it looks very good. Next year's 5G QC-Android phones will be very competitive and will make the wait to September 2020 (possible next iPhone launch) a hard slog for Apple.

Early 2020 will see some very important announcements for handsets and 5G will be right at the top of the feature lists of those handsets.
    SD865 does not have integrated 5G modem, right? Then how would it be more efficient than anything else (not sure what it is being compared against, assuming it is going to be next generation iphones)? Huawei has integrated 5G modem in the Kirin 990 SoC itself ALREADY in a shipping product (Honor V30 Pro 5G). And Android upper mid-range phones of next year will use Qualcomm's SD765 with integrated 5G modem. And in this case, I expect them to be more efficient than the phones with SD865 and other similar phones which do not have integrated 5G modem.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Ha! Yes. For sure.

SD865 does not have integrated 5G modem, right? Then how would it be more efficient than anything else (not sure what it is being compared against, assuming it is going to be next generation iphones)? Huawei has integrated 5G modem in the Kirin 990 SoC itself ALREADY in a shipping product (Honor V30 Pro 5G). And Android upper mid-range phones of next year will use Qualcomm's SD765 with integrated 5G modem. And in this case, I expect them to be more efficient than the phones with SD865 and other similar phones which do not have integrated 5G modem.
    I was speaking in general terms and not specifically about modem efficiency although from what I saw (a seven minute rundown) it certainly had some of that too (but in non modem areas). The 865 has notable improvements in virtually every area that matters for users. It won't have an integrated 5G modem like the Kirin 990 5G but what it does offer is most of what was missing from previous generations. 

On-SoC modems are obviously where vendors want to be and, as you say, Huawei is already there but I think competition is looking great for next year. The Huawei Nova 6 5G has just been announced too (also using the Kirin 990-5G). More 5G phones and prices are already coming down and we're not in 2020 yet.

I think MWC2020 is going to be a great event and we will probably get a look at the next gen QC and Huawei 5G multi-mode modems.
    GeorgeBMac