Only use Apple's special cloth to clean Pro Display XDR

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    bulk001 said:
    Seriously... what is the purpose of 6K if the screen is only 32"? You'll need a microscope to read!
    If it was 55" I'd be interested.
    Why do you keep posting this? Do you have any concept of screen resolution or normal viewing distances? You don’t need a microscope to read an iMac screen, and this is the same density. Not to mention you can adjust the OS scaling to your liking.
    Because he wants a bigger screen? Just guess in’ I mean if you are going to drop 6k on a screen that needs its own special cloth you may as well get what you want right?
    Thanks, genius. They are suggesting there's something wrong with 6K resolution on a 32" screen, which is ridiculous as it's the same density as the 5K iMac. There's also no reason to believe reading on this screen would be any different.
    Ah well, you know how some people can’t wait to criticize anything they don’t understand? These people obviously don’t need a high Rez screen, so they can’t comprehend the advantages. Years ago, I also didn’t think more than 150ppi on a monitor was worthwhile. But I’ve learned differently. All of us who do editing on any graphics lean into our monitors for detail. It’s normal. Higher Rez just makes it more useful, we don’t have to magnify and reduce nearly as much when viewing the full image either. Saves a lot of time and annoyance.
    edited December 2019 philboogiefastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 61
    Seriously... what is the purpose of 6K if the screen is only 32"? You'll need a microscope to read!
    If it was 55" I'd be interested.
    Is this idiot in every thread?
    Only if that thread is 23" short.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 61
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    melgross said:
    Canon invented this type of anti reflection surface a few years ago, and they use it on their pro lenses. Yes, it can be somewhat delicate, but it’s amazing at reducing reflections. You also have to be very careful cleaning it. I believe Nikon and possibly some others now use a similar coating. It is very expensive.
    Nikon/Nikkor calls their coating "Nano Crystal Coating" for anti-reflection in their marketing spiels. One of my favorite DX Format lens is the Nikkor AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 17–55mm f/2.8G IF-ED, it boasts the "Nano Crystal Coating". They never mentioned having to use a special cloth...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 61
    [sarcasm]
    You're cleaning it wrong!
    [/sarcasm]
    mobirdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 61
    mobird said:
    Nikon/Nikkor calls their coating "Nano Crystal Coating" for anti-reflection in their marketing spiels. One of my favorite DX Format lens is the Nikkor AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 17–55mm f/2.8G IF-ED, it boasts the "Nano Crystal Coating". They never mentioned having to use a special cloth...
    That's a nice lens!
  • Reply 46 of 61
    This guy says:

Also, I would definitely splurge on the Nano Texture glass – or matte finish – I have yet to see a single reflection on it.  Eliminating reflections makes a difference while grading and the finish on it feels like you’re looking at a film screen in the theater.   Word of note: beware the nano finish is delicate. I scratched mine on the first day moving the monitors around and Apple recommends you use the cloth they provide with the monitor to wipe it down – so in short: it’s a delicate finish.

https://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2019/12/10/macpro/
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 61
    This guy says:

Also, I would definitely splurge on the Nano Texture glass – or matte finish – I have yet to see a single reflection on it.  Eliminating reflections makes a difference while grading and the finish on it feels like you’re looking at a film screen in the theater.   Word of note: beware the nano finish is delicate. I scratched mine on the first day moving the monitors around and Apple recommends you use the cloth they provide with the monitor to wipe it down – so in short: it’s a delicate finish.

It’s probably fair to say that these are the best engineered stands every made.  But why would anyone care? Well if you’re OCD like me and want to perfectly line up two monitors side by side – these stands do that.   The bevel is so slim on these XDR monitors that you can almost go from one image to the next on 2-3 screens (but there is a bevel – it doesn’t interfere much at all though w a seamless screen to screen feel.) And you when you release them – they don’t budge even a millimeter.   Getting the monitor on and off is extremely elegant. Vertical .. horizontal. No sweat. For me the key though: when I release it it stays – and lining up 3X 32” monitors is NOT easy w/ VESA mounts.   At least not VESA mounts that are less than $700.

...as someone with two medium-end VESA arms, I can attest to how not well engineered they are. They sink, wobble, lean, and worse - require a special key for tension adjustments. Sounds like they engineered a winner. Love seeing how easy it is to click-on the panel to the arm in iJustine’s video at 4:15:

https://youtu.be/TqjwSNRDrO8

edited December 2019 watto_cobraphilboogie
  • Reply 48 of 61
    This guy says:

It’s probably fair to say that these are the best engineered stands every made.  But why would anyone care? Well if you’re OCD like me and want to perfectly line up two monitors side by side – these stands do that.   The bevel is so slim on these XDR monitors that you can almost go from one image to the next on 2-3 screens (but there is a bevel – it doesn’t interfere much at all though w a seamless screen to screen feel.) And you when you release them – they don’t budge even a millimeter.   Getting the monitor on and off is extremely elegant. Vertical .. horizontal. No sweat. For me the key though: when I release it it stays – and lining up 3X 32” monitors is NOT easy w/ VESA mounts.   At least not VESA mounts that are less than $700.

...as someone with two medium-end VESA arms, I can attest to how not well engineered they are. They sink, wobble, lean, and worse - require a special key for tension adjustments. Sounds like they engineered a winner. Love seeing how easy it is to click-on the panel to the arm in iJustine’s video at 4:15:

Yeah, no doubt. I don't know what it costs to build a 15lb slab of aluminum with all these perfectly engineered parts in it, but in the long run I see these as totally worth it for the investment this screen already brings you.

I just need to do a pile more color work before I can justify one of these to replace one of my 30" ACDs. :)
    watto_cobraStrangeDaysphilboogie
  • Reply 49 of 61
    By the way, reflections should NEVER be a problem in a properly designed, and set-up studio. First of all, you never have lights behind you, where they can reflect into the screen. That’s a major no no. Yes, they can be on when you’re not doing work. But for work time, they go off. Gentle lighting behind the monitor can be ok, but it depends.

back when, we had Barco graphics monitors, which cost $16,000 in the early 1990’s. They had glossy screens. No reflections at all, because we had the lights off, and you wear dark cloths too. That’s really the proper way to do it. Matte screens really spread reflections around a large part of the screen, and muddy dark areas, while lowering saturation. People don’t realize that, because not seeing strong reflections has them thinking, incorrectly, that what little is left doesn’t matter, but it does. Matte screens are the bane of high quality color grading. The other reason is because even without esternal reflections, light from the screen itself hits the rear of the matte surface, and spreads across the face, still causing some deterioration. Again, most people don’t know this.
    edited December 2019 philboogie
  • Reply 50 of 61
    This guy says:

Fantastic article! Thanks for that; really informative. Plus, I agree with what he wrote.

• Reply 51 of 61
    melgross said:
    By the way, reflections should NEVER be a problem in a properly designed, and set-up studio. First of all, you never have lights behind you, where they can reflect into the screen. That’s a major no no. Yes, they can be on when you’re not doing work. But for work time, they go off. Gentle lighting behind the monitor can be ok, but it depends.

back when, we had Barco graphics monitors, which cost $16,000 in the early 1990’s. They had glossy screens. No reflections at all, because we had the lights off, and you wear dark cloths too. That’s really the proper way to do it. Matte screens really spread reflections around a large part of the screen, and muddy dark areas, while lowering saturation. People don’t realize that, because not seeing strong reflections has them thinking, incorrectly, that what little is left doesn’t matter, but it does. Matte screens are the bane of high quality color grading. The other reason is because even without esternal reflections, light from the screen itself hits the rear of the matte surface, and spreads across the face, still causing some deterioration. Again, most people don’t know this.
    Have you seen an XDR in person? 
  • Reply 52 of 61
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    jdw said:
    If it is truly the case that ONLY that Apple cloth will avoid hard to the nano-textured surface of the display, imagine setting the cloth on your desk after use (even temporarily), at which time it picks up small debris that were already present on your desk.  The next time you wipe your display, those debris could get pressed and rubbed against the display.  I can only imagine that could possibly induce the very scratches Apple seeks to have you avoid by using their approved cloth, especially if the said debris were rather hard.
    I can imagine all sorts of things.  Imagine if you typed on an Apple keyboard with gloves on; I imagine it would burst into flames because of the foreign material between your fingers at the keys!
    It is true you can imagine numerous things, but your current imaginations are totally unrelated to the topic at hand and therefore serve as little more than argument fodder.  The fact remains that there are potential issues with the nano-coated screen in terms of practical usability that the buyer should be aware of prior to purchase.  It therefore may be in their long-term best interest to go with the slightly more reflective glass screen instead.  If the screen was cheap, it wouldn't matter.  But this is one pricey display!
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 53 of 61
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    This guy says:

Ok - I still don't know if it's worth $1,000, but that is definitely one impressive stand!
  • Reply 54 of 61
    I laughed at how extra Apple seemed to be about the pricing etc, but it turns out that if you can afford it it is worth it. Whodathunkit.

From now on they basically could release a 5k toaster and I'd just assume it being worth it in some way that I'm not yet enlightened enough to understand.

(I still want to boycott them for several reasons, but damn that's hard to do when they don't just set but alone actually are the benchmark in several areas.)
  • Reply 55 of 61
    melgross said:

Have you seen an XDR in person? 
    Yes, and now I imagine they’re in all Apple stores where everyone can see them for themselves, abet in poor lighting for this use.
  • Reply 56 of 61

MplsP said:
    This guy says:

Ok - I still don't know if it's worth $1,000, but that is definitely one impressive stand!
    The question of whether something is worth it or not is both objective, and subjective.

is the amount spent on R&D and manufacturing enough to warrant the price. Secondly, is what the device does worth it in the eyes of the potential customer?

having designed, and built both electronic and mechanical equipment over the years, professionally, I can say that this stand is worth the price from an objective point of view. For those needing a stand for this where it won’t be mounted on rails, it does much better than removable stands with other very expensive pro monitors, though pro in this case, for this monitor, is a diminutive.

shock at having “just” a stand cost $1,000 is understandable for those not used to buying commercial and industrial professional equipment, where things like simple handles can cost close to $1,000, and external SSD modules can cost over $3,000 for what most of us would pay $400.

in this context also, this stand is not overpriced. The reviews are pretty enthusiastic about the quality and performance.
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 57 of 61
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    mobird said:
    I'd have a large sign next to the monitor warning of imminent death if you touch the monitor...
    In 1986, I had a MacHD 20 in my office. The hard disk was starting to fail and I knew if the machine lost power, the drive probably wouldn’t start up again. 

I was going on vacation, so I put a similar sign on the computer with an additional warning not to shut the power off.  Mind you this was in a private office that wasn’t shared. 

When I returned from vacation, the machine had been powered down.  I flew into a rage. I had to send the drive to one of those data recovery services, but they didn’t get all that much.  

I always thought my secretary did it out of spite, but I couldn’t prove it. 
  • Reply 58 of 61
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Appleish said:
    I wonder if you can clean the cloth? I would probably just replace it. I'll know more when I get my XDR in January.

It does make me nervous about fingerprints or accidental beverage splatter. I know for sure that I will keep it covered when I'm not using it.
    Apple says you can clean the cloth (and doesn't need a special Apple cloth cleaning product, just soap and water):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210229

I think they just want to make sure people take care of it. All expensive monitor manufacturers do the same. Sony for their reference displays says to avoid touching the screen, avoid using liquids, use bundled cloth etc:

https://pro.sony/s3/2019/01/18055252/4488667141.pdf

In the following video they show a Sony reference monitor and it has a sticker at the top saying not to touch the display:

(the photo-shoot there is pretty neat with the monitor in portrait connected to a Macbook Pro showing the captured images directly)

It's a good idea to keep it covered when not in use, that will reduce the amount of cleaning it needs. There are dust covers ( https://www.amazon.com/kwmobile-Monitor-Cover-Apple-iMac/dp/B078KPNK57 ) but ideally something that never contacts the display:

Something like this could be used:

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Desktop-Mid-Tower-Protector-SZBRO

Since it's not big enough, buy a couple of them, cut the opposite sides and back off and tape them together. Then you can just quickly place it in front of the monitor when it's not being used.
    edited December 2019 philboogie
  • Reply 59 of 61
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    melgross said:

MplsP said:
    This guy says:

The question of whether something is worth it or not is both objective, and subjective.

is the amount spent on R&D and manufacturing enough to warrant the price. Secondly, is what the device does worth it in the eyes of the potential customer?

having designed, and built both electronic and mechanical equipment over the years, professionally, I can say that this stand is worth the price from an objective point of view. For those needing a stand for this where it won’t be mounted on rails, it does much better than removable stands with other very expensive pro monitors, though pro in this case, for this monitor, is a diminutive.

shock at having “just” a stand cost $1,000 is understandable for those not used to buying commercial and industrial professional equipment, where things like simple handles can cost close to $1,000, and external SSD modules can cost over $3,000 for what most of us would pay $400.

in this context also, this stand is not overpriced. The reviews are pretty enthusiastic about the quality and performance.
    Let's not forget about NVIDIA Quadros.

Which, the main difference between them and the GTX/RTX were only memory and drivers...yet they charged a ton more.  It's not for your average consumers.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    DuhSesame said:
    melgross said:

MplsP said:
    This guy says:

Let's not forget about NVIDIA Quadros.

Which, the main difference between them and the GTX/RTX were only memory and drivers...yet they charged a ton more.  It's not for your average consumers.
    There are some other small differences in the hardware, but it’s minor.