Apple details how to install Mac Pro parts, upgrade RAM and more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26

Try taking your 128Gb MBA into an Apple store and tell them to fix it because its saying its full and see how that goes for you.  They won't even fix/upgrade the ones (2017) that it's physically possible (even fairly easy) to change out.  After they finish laughing, they'll tell you to buy a new one.
    You've seen an Apple Store employee laugh? Hmm, over here in Europe...never seen that on an issue like a failing laptop.

• Reply 22 of 26
    Rayz2016 said:
    Well, not perfect, but the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step...

Next up:   Making MacBooks repairable and upgradeable instead of disposable.

[MacBooks are] not disposable. They're recyclable.

Oh, now, that's different!   /s

Either way, it's past time for Apple to do for MacBooks what they are doing with the MacPro.
    My grandson wants a MacBook -- but I simply can't justify spending a grand (plus $250 for AppleCare) for a machine that becomes "recyclable" as soon as its tiny little SSD fills up.

It’s not. You sell it, and replace it with a Mac with the amount of storage you need. 

Maybe you do.  I don't.  A vendor only gets to sell me crap at high prices one time -- if that.
    Who is selling crap? 
  • Reply 23 of 26

Well, not perfect, but the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step...

They aren’t disposable. MBs can be serviced and repaired, which isn’t the same as user upgradable of course. Just like a flat panel TV or a printer — serviceable even if not upgradable. No idea why you keep confusing these different concepts. 

Try taking your 128Gb MBA into an Apple store and tell them to fix it because its saying its full and see how that goes for you.  They won't even fix/upgrade the ones (2017) that it's physically possible (even fairly easy) to change out.  After they finish laughing, they'll tell you to buy a new one.
    There’s nothing to “fix”. They’ll show you how to optimize your storage using iCloud, or how to offload unused files to an external drive. If you needed more space than 128GB, that’s on you. Exact same thing with an iPhone or iPad. 
    edited December 2019
  • Reply 24 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

They aren’t disposable. MBs can be serviced and repaired, which isn’t the same as user upgradable of course. Just like a flat panel TV or a printer — serviceable even if not upgradable. No idea why you keep confusing these different concepts. 

There’s nothing to “fix”. They’ll show you how to optimize your storage using iCloud, or how to offload unused files to an external drive. If you needed more space than 128GB, that’s on you. Exact same thing with an iPhone or iPad. 

Unacceptable.  Particularly unacceptable in a $1K+ laptop.   That's like Honda selling a car with a 2 gallon gas tank -- and then trying to sell their customer spare gas cans for the trunk.  Unacceptable.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 25 of 26
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    The Cheesegrater Mac Pro did not require all this to do basic upgrades. You can swap out the CPU in maybe 2 minutes and no tools.

10 minutes of cooling makes me wonder how hot this beast will be running.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    Rayz2016 said:

[MacBooks are] not disposable. They're recyclable.

Oh, now, that's different!   /s

Either way, it's past time for Apple to do for MacBooks what they are doing with the MacPro.
    My grandson wants a MacBook -- but I simply can't justify spending a grand (plus $250 for AppleCare) for a machine that becomes "recyclable" as soon as its tiny little SSD fills up.

But you don’t need to! It’s got TB 3 ports so you can just get an external hard drive. There’s clearly no need for a bigger SSD and anyone saying there is is just a troll. /s

That would work better if it were a desktop
    Yet that is the response many people here have - just lug a bunch of extra stuff around with your MacBook Pro. Nothing inconvenient about that - and if you forget something it's your own fault, not Apple's fault for only providing one port.
    My gut is telling me that that will be changing -- at least somewhat.  That Apple is beginning to tilt away from its obsession with thin, light, sleek designs and will be giving a greater emphasis to functionality.  That they will be returning to emphasizing both rather than one over the other.

I’ll believe it when I see it.