Apple engineers reveal how they prevent Mac Pro overheating

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    GG1 said:
    cgWerks said:
    tht said:
    It’s the Internet where 90% of the comments are from trolls, wishful thinkers and increasingly bots (if you were on Twitter or Facebook). So, always keep that in mind.
    I suppose, but I think also just a ton of ignorant people. I saw a Twitter thread a bit ago where comments were saying you could build 10 PC with better performance for the price and stuff like that. I don't think most people have any clue what it actually is.

That argument is probably worth a closer look. If you can get 10 PCs working in parallel, do you get the same, better, or worse performance than a single Mac Pro? Google famously decided that a huge number of relatively basic machines, hooked up properly, would give better results in aggregate than a smaller number of more powerful machines - and that approach seems to have been the better one, but it's that "hooked up properly" step that took a huge amount of effort.
    This is an interesting read in favour of a single Mac Pro doing real-time image processing.

If anyone sees articles like these by 3D/VFX/compositing/game engine people, please post ‘em. So far it’s all been 8K video people that I’ve seen which is great, but I’d love to see the other stuff too. :)
    cgWerksthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 72
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    GG1 said:
    And the article gives the reason why there are no filters on the fans or enclosure, and why hemispherical holes were used.
    Thanks for the link. That is interesting about the no filters and why. I suppose as long as they aren't used by smokers. I have a hard time believing the dust buildup won't be an issue long-term, but I suppose they can be cleaned or blown-out to some extent at some point, too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 72
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    What about it is so bad?
    Well, for one, imagine the visibility the driver will have. Or, imagine trying to actually haul anything in a bed designed like that. Or, imagine how dangerous it would be to pedestrians. It's utter cr*p. I'd put it in a list of top 10 worst automotive designs, maybe top 5.
    1) The visibility seems great with those cameras in the driver's view showing the cameras replacing the side mirrors. Of course, that's still illegal in the US so if they have to add side mirrors I'd assume it's about as good as any other large pickup truck on the market. But let's remember that this is a modern vehicle that has sensors and AI that make it less prone to hitting objects than pick up trucks that don't have these features.

2) How is it different than another pickup with a 6.5' bed? Because it doesn't have flat sides? The only means it can't have some generic topper on it. I've seen countless trucks have crap fly out the back because they didn't secure it properly. This includes my own truck which had something int here that flew out that I forget was in there; if I had a rolling cover I'd probably using it, especially since it would secure the trunk contents. The Honda Ridgeline had a sloping bed in a unibody frame and there are countless trucks that have things added to the bed to make them poor hauler for different types of loads. This is why truck buyers consider their specific needs when determining a purchase, but it not being the right needs for you doesn't mean it's a bad engineering decision.

3) How is the Cybertruck any more dangerous than if you're hit by this pickup truck? And let's not get into how semi tractors are designed.

There are certainly hurdles for this next Tesla, but they are one I've already mentioned and others, but yours are not reasons I'd say that it's the worst engineering design of a truck.
    welshdogfastasleepnetmageStrangeDaysdocno42pscooter63
  • Reply 44 of 72
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Soli said:

2) How is it different than another pickup with a 6.5' bed? Because it doesn't have flat sides? The only means it can't have some generic topper on it. I've seen countless trucks have crap fly out the back because they didn't secure it properly. This includes my own truck which had something int here that flew out that I forget was in there; if I had a rolling cover I'd probably using it, especially since it would secure the trunk contents. The Honda Ridgeline had a sloping bed in a unibody frame and there are countless trucks that have things added to the bed to make them poor hauler for different types of loads. This is why truck buyers consider their specific needs when determining a purchase, but it not being the right needs for you doesn't mean it's a bad engineering decision.

Yeah the bed looks fine to me - maybe even superior to the typical irregualarly shaped bed with the wheel humps intruding. Current pickup manufacturers do a terrible job of innovating - particularly with the bed. There are so many things they could have done to make it easier to tie down cargo, cover the bed, adjust bed height etc. They constantly come up with stupid ideas they can sell only via massive marketing efforts. The US car companies need to put up a firewall between their designers and engineers and the marketing departments. Until they do that, their products will always be compromised.
    netmageSoliwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 45 of 72
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    I would imagine that Apple would have tapped into some of the engineering expertise and acoustic silencing strategies that have been used in submarine propulsion, machinery, and structural design over the past half century, especially as used in US and German subs. They’re all dealing with the same set of concerns about harmonics, beat frequencies, standing waves, resonance of various substructures and the chassis as a whole, blade shapes, etc. Much of the technology and mitigation strategies eventually find their way into commercial applications over time, but for somewhat different purpose. 

One interesting thing I see here is that Apple has brought human factors, psychology, and ergonomics into the acoustic signature reduction and shaping mix, which is something that’s radically different than a factor that submarine designers would be concerned about. As someone who is massively annoyed by dashboard rattles, PC fans, and unwanted resonances in HVAC systems I’m grateful for Apple’s efforts. The only minor point here is that there is a fair amount of disparity in hearing response and the induced psychological effects of certain sounds between individuals, so Apple's acoustic design may not be optimal for 100% of users. At some point you’d think, superficially at least, that an active noise cancellation approach would be considered, but I’m sure there’s sound reasons why it wasn’t used in this case.
    edited December 2019 pscooter63
  • Reply 46 of 72
    welshdog said:
    Soli said:

Yeah the bed looks fine to me - maybe even superior to the typical irregualarly shaped bed with the wheel humps intruding. Current pickup manufacturers do a terrible job of innovating - particularly with the bed. There are so many things they could have done to make it easier to tie down cargo, cover the bed, adjust bed height etc. They constantly come up with stupid ideas they can sell only via massive marketing efforts. The US car companies need to put up a firewall between their designers and engineers and the marketing departments. Until they do that, their products will always be compromised.
    The Honda Ridgeline has a flat bed. This is because it has a large trunk at the end of the bed and the spare tire they placed just ahead of it. This does affect the bed depth compare to other trucks, but I find that most people that are really into their classic American pickup truck want a truck for reasons that they believe makes their penis seem bigger more than needing a truck that can haul another truck up a hill, carry a ridiculously large boulder, or tug a barge into a dock.

That isn’t to say those trucks and their power options and features aren’t useful, only that they people that buy them tend to buy a lot more than they need for reasons of ego and self esteem. Doug DeMuro wrote an article about the Ridgeline with it’a unibody construction (something the Cybertruck will have), a sedan-like ride, deep trunk (which doubles as a cooler, complete with drain plug), tailgate with clever dual-hinge mechanism, and reasonable towing capacity as the vehicle truck-buyers should get…. but won't.

It'll be sad if truck buyers won't get a Cybertruck because of some unfortunate notion that "real" trucks should have ICEs or look a certain way.
    edited December 2019 fastasleepStrangeDayspscooter63dewme
  • Reply 47 of 72
    ralphie said:
    All fans are quiet, until they’re not.

Apple fans are quiet until the trolls start posting...
  • Reply 48 of 72
    Soli said:
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    What about it is so bad?
    Well, for one, imagine the visibility the driver will have. Or, imagine trying to actually haul anything in a bed designed like that. Or, imagine how dangerous it would be to pedestrians. It's utter cr*p. I'd put it in a list of top 10 worst automotive designs, maybe top 5.
    1) The visibility seems great with those cameras in the driver's view showing the cameras replacing the side mirrors. Of course, that's still illegal in the US so if they have to add side mirrors I'd assume it's about as good as any other large pickup truck on the market. But let's remember that this is a modern vehicle that has sensors and AI that make it less prone to hitting objects than pick up trucks that don't have these features.

3) How is the Cybertruck any more dangerous than if you're hit by this pickup truck? And let's not get into how semi tractors are designed.

There are certainly hurdles for this next Tesla, but they are one I've already mentioned and others, but yours are not reasons I'd say that it's the worst engineering design of a truck.

I won't dispute anything you said, since I am definitely not invested in Telsa and it's not even available here. The only thing I can comment on is the look. It looks like a pentagon on the move. A bit too radical for my taste.
    Soli
  • Reply 49 of 72
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Look like Apple found a sweet spot to balance the Industry design and functional electro-mechanical consideration. many other companies fail to do so - either ID+marketing get holed up in one corner = come out some "beauty", or hardware newbie with fancy school resume drum up ugly "beast" - any criticism will rub the ego feather or "geek central" mask.  Such a balance of design is hard to comeby.  bravo. (hopefully, the flow pattern not going to attract dust particles that impede heat flow as time goes by... such a small detail usually can not duplicated in lab "clean room - class 10,000, environment).  
  • Reply 50 of 72
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    I don’t know why there’s such an uproar over the price tag. I had a small consultation business and bought a pair of two Mac llcis for a bit over $6,000 each, in 1992 USD. Didn’t complain as it was powerful and made money. Dropping, say, 10k$ on a workstation one could create a new “Jurassic Park” on is nothing to complain about. In the original movie the park was controlled by a Mac Quadra 700, which cost $6000, back then!
    No kidding.  I still have the MacUser issue with the IIfx declaring it's $10k (!!) price tag. 
  • Reply 51 of 72
    Soli said:
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    What about it is so bad?

I won't dispute anything you said, since I am definitely not invested in Telsa and it's not even available here. The only thing I can comment on is the look. It looks like a pentagon on the move. A bit too radical for my taste.
    No argument here. My comments after seeing the presentation were: It's ugly… I can't wait to get one. And I did. I ordered the 3 motor version—I don't care about the speed, but I do care about the 500 mile range.

I wonder if it's ugly because it's so different, because it seems like it's cheaply designed and made (even though I know you can't stamp that steel the way you can with thiner and softer sheets used across the automobile industry), it reminds me of the cheap looking vehicles with bad suspension seen in sci-fi movies, and/or something else.

This has 2 rows with 6 seats with a 6.5' foot bed and a front trunk. That's pretty impressive in terms of capacity even before we get into it's pulling power. I think the ultra hard 3mm (1/8") thick cold rolled steel body will be popular with vehicles that need to be used for things like a construction site. For starters, it will stand out if you want to put your business logo on it, but it will also prevent damage better than any other truck on the market and comes with a lockable tonneau cover built in.

The truck industry is finally including EV trucks, I hope they follow Tesla and at least offering a stronger material for the bodies. I'm personally annoyed that the truck I bought this year already has 3 small dents on the right fender away. I couldn't figure out how those were happening and then one morning I came out of my girlfriend's house to see that the lid for community trash can had been flipped up and was sitting on the bed edge of my truck. If I adjust how I pull into the parking space it makes the corner of the bin hit the side body panels. That's just hard plastic on those lids but it can still dent a typical truck when being flung open.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 52 of 72
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Excellent engineering.
    It would have been a lot easier if they used A(rm) socs instead of Intel Esbit.
  • Reply 53 of 72
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    What about it is so bad?

No argument here. My comments after seeing the presentation were: It's ugly… I can't wait to get one. And I did. I ordered the 3 motor version—I don't care about the speed, but I do care about the 500 mile range.

I wonder if it's ugly because it's so different, because it seems like it's cheaply designed and made (even though I know you can't stamp that steel the way you can with thiner and softer sheets used across the automobile industry), it reminds me of the cheap looking vehicles with bad suspension seen in sci-fi movies, and/or something else.

This has 2 rows with 6 seats with a 6.5' foot bed and a front trunk. That's pretty impressive in terms of capacity even before we get into it's pulling power. I think the ultra hard 3mm (1/8") thick cold rolled steel body will be popular with vehicles that need to be used for things like a construction site. For starters, it will stand out if you want to put your business logo on it, but it will also prevent damage better than any other truck on the market and comes with a lockable tonneau cover built in.

The truck industry is finally including EV trucks, I hope they follow Tesla and at least offering a stronger material for the bodies. I'm personally annoyed that the truck I bought this year already has 3 small dents on the right fender away. I couldn't figure out how those were happening and then one morning I came out of my girlfriend's house to see that the lid for community trash can had been flipped up and was sitting on the bed edge of my truck. If I adjust how I pull into the parking space it makes the corner of the bin hit the side body panels. That's just hard plastic on those lids but it can still dent a typical truck when being flung open.
    I hope you get your Cybertruck soon.
    Its probably the best - and most fun -   decision you ever made.
  • Reply 54 of 72
    knowitall said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    What about it is so bad?

I'm not sure if that's sarcasm. I may not get it. I usually don't like to spend that much on a vehicle (I ordered the top end with Auto Pilot) and I bought my current truck this year. It all depends on what my dividends are paying out when this finally drops. I doubt it will be a "best decision" but it could be considerably fun. At the very least it's a refundable deposit and I'm helping Tesla shake up the EV truck market a bit, even if I don't get one. I do love what Tesla has done to help push EV and modern automobiles into our lives. Kind of like how even if you hate Apple (regardless of the reason) you should appreciate what Apple has done for whatever non-Apple computing device you use. Tesla hasn't been nearly as prolific as Apple in that regard, but they helped make some waves. I appreciate that. The same goes for Uber and T-Mobile, even though I refuse to use Uber when Lyft is available and still use Verizon because I'm not sure T-Mobile service in my area will be good yet.
  • Reply 55 of 72
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    Soli said:
    knowitall said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    What about it is so bad?

I'm not sure if that's sarcasm. I may not get it. I usually don't like to spend that much on a vehicle (I ordered the top end with Auto Pilot) and I bought my current truck this year. It all depends on what my dividends are paying out when this finally drops. I doubt it will be a "best decision" but it could be considerably fun. At the very least it's a refundable deposit and I'm helping Tesla shake up the EV truck market a bit, even if I don't get one. I do love what Tesla has done to help push EV and modern automobiles into our lives. Kind of like how even if you hate Apple (regardless of the reason) you should appreciate what Apple has done for whatever non-Apple computing device you use. Tesla hasn't been nearly as prolific as Apple in that regard, but they helped make some waves. I appreciate that. The same goes for Uber and T-Mobile, even though I refuse to use Uber when Lyft is available and still use Verizon because I'm not sure T-Mobile service in my area will be good yet.
    I find it interesting that Tesla can dump a mostly unfinished prototype on the market, without much thought of how it will actually be manufactured, put it up for preorder, and Elon's fan base goes nuts. Gotta love smoke and mirrors!

I don't think that the Big Three are too concerned about the "Cybertruck", mostly because they have yet to see Tesla generate any revenue, though credit to Elon for accounting tricks to make it seem so, and subsidies have been a lifesaver.

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/tesla-cybertruck-very-likely-receive-medium-duty-classification

"Tesla Inc. told California regulators this week its upcoming Cybertruck will be classified as a medium-duty pickup, putting it in a separate class from the Ford F-150 that CEO Elon Musk has been quick to pit the electric pickup against. 

"While we have not yet begun production of the Cybertruck, we expect it to have a towing capacity of 7,500-14,000+ lbs., and it should very likely qualify as a 'Class 2B-3 medium-duty vehicle,'" Sarah Van Cleve, Tesla's senior managing policy advisor, said in a Dec. 9 letter to the California Air and Resources Board."

Sure sounds like marketing bullshit at this point in time, not anything close to a finished design.

edited December 2019
  • Reply 56 of 72
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    The old PowerMac G5 was like having a space heater under your desk but was quiet. The Cheesegrater Mac Pros are less of a space heater and are still quiet after all of this time despite having a lot of fans running. Dead quiet and could easily be used in a recording studio.
  • Reply 57 of 72
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    tmay said:
    I find it interesting that Tesla can dump a mostly unfinished prototype on the market, without much thought of how it will actually be manufactured, put it up for preorder, and Elon's fan base goes nuts. Gotta love smoke and mirrors!

Sure sounds like marketing bullshit at this point in time, not anything close to a finished design.

Elon is about to run out of runway.

He has piddled around and lost most of the first mover advantage at a time when tax incentives are drying up and a number of carmakers are about to get real on EVs.

VW dropped something like $50 Billion on EV platform technology and spent more elsewhere within the Audi and Porsche subsidiaries. The ID.3 sedan - aimed directly at the Tesla 3 - is rolling off the line in Germany as we speak and a whole family of EVs is going to be following in short order. 

Unlike Tesla, VW knows how to build cars profitably and the CEO recently commented that the cost to produce EVs is roughly 40% less than ICE models using the first generation EV platform they have developed. At the same time VW has been building out charging networks that allow for fast charging. If VW can produce EVs profitably for 40% less than conventional and Tesla is still struggling to consistently generate a profit, you do not have to be a finance guy to know what that means.

I used to own stock in Tesla, but got tired of waiting for him to make the company profitable.
    tmay
  • Reply 58 of 72
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    knowitall said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    What about it is so bad?

I don't think that the Big Three are too concerned about the "Cybertruck", mostly because they have yet to see Tesla generate any revenue, though credit to Elon for accounting tricks to make it seem so, and subsidies have been a lifesaver.

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/tesla-cybertruck-very-likely-receive-medium-duty-classification

"Tesla Inc. told California regulators this week its upcoming Cybertruck will be classified as a medium-duty pickup, putting it in a separate class from the Ford F-150 that CEO Elon Musk has been quick to pit the electric pickup against. 

"While we have not yet begun production of the Cybertruck, we expect it to have a towing capacity of 7,500-14,000+ lbs., and it should very likely qualify as a 'Class 2B-3 medium-duty vehicle,'" Sarah Van Cleve, Tesla's senior managing policy advisor, said in a Dec. 9 letter to the California Air and Resources Board."

You mean like Steve Jobs showing off the iPhone in January 2007 without having the OS, its apps, or even the manufacturing down? Or how about just offering a white color in an iPhone 4? Or how about the AirPower engineering that kept resulting in delays and an eventual cancellation? You sound like the people that say that Apple is only good at marketing.

What I don't get is how people like you constantly refer to Musk as some sort of con artist when I can't go anywhere without seeing his cars on road. For someone that is only able to use "smoke and mirrors" without any ability to produce a product there sure are a lot or products everywhere. I think I read a stat that Tesla's Model 3 produced more vehicles than all BMWs in a single quarter.

thtfastasleep
  • Reply 59 of 72
    tht said:
    mknelson said:
    sjworld said:
    It’s air cooled. This machine is very much likely to start thermal throttling once it reaches 80C during heavy workloads.
    Ultimately all computers are air cooled. Liquid cooling gives additional heat-sink capacity and moves the heat to a radiator that releases the heat to the air.

The Mac Pro's CPU Thermal module is quite large and has a dedicated fan so should radiate quite nicely.
    You are right. The advantage of the liquid coolers isn’t the liquid in itself. It’s the flexible pipe that transports heat to a radiator with better oriented fans which produce better flow rate across larger heat sinks or radiators. You can get the same result using a heat pipe, like the ones in the iMac Pro or MBP, but the liquid allows flexible piping so that it can go into generic boxes where you don’t know where everything can be mounted.

PC air coolers that go directly on top of the CPU package have to go into a more constrained volume, so the size of the heatsink or radiator and fan will be limited if they want the product to be compatible to as many boards and boxes as possible.

Apple has a custom solution with a gigantic ~7” fan, that is about 2” to 3” thick, blowing across a gigantic heatsink. I don’t think there is a generic PC motherboard that can have something like this, so they have to trade for more noise, liquid coolers to move the heatsink and fan to a different location in the box, do a custom design like Apple, etc.
    Liquid IS the advantage of liquid cooling. It allows you to remove heat away from the silicon much faster than a regular fan/heatsink setup. There wouldn’t be any liquid cooling systems on the market if the properties of water weren’t such beneficial. The thermal conductivity between water/metal is much, much greater than air/metal. It’s not ever even about placement either, because you can cram a liquid cooling solution into the smallest case and achieve greater cooling than Apple’s custom unit.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    Soli said:
    tmay said:
    Soli said:
    knowitall said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    What about it is so bad?

You mean like Steve Jobs showing off the iPhone in January 2007 without having the OS, its apps, or even the manufacturing down? Or how about just offering a white color in an iPhone 4? Or how about the AirPower engineering that kept resulting in delays and an eventual cancellation? You sound like the people that say that Apple is only good at marketing.

What I don't get is how people like you constantly refer to Musk as some sort of con artist when I can't go anywhere without seeing his cars on road. For someone that is only able to use "smoke and mirrors" without any ability to produce a product there sure are a lot or products everywhere. I think I read a stat that Tesla's Model 3 produced more vehicles than all BMWs in a single quarter.

Uhm, so after the iPhone launched, it became a disruption in smartphones, and has been incredibly profitable, driving even more incredible spinoffs. Your whataboutism wrt to the AirPower is of note, but given that it is an accessory, not much of a fail as far as revenue, especially since Apple shut it down prior to delivery.

Would that Elon had not absorbed the Solar City business from his cousin, Tesla would not have the epic liability it now has due to roof fires, and investor lawsuits. Oh, and they still haven't actually delivered the "magical" roof tiles that look like wood shingles. 

So far, the innovation claims of Tesla haven't stood the test of time, and with massive investments by the traditional Automotive Majors, there is a rapid increase in competition, that Tesla will be hard pressed to survive. Tesla is probably the only company that is currently planning expansion of auto production in the Chinese automotive market, which is in current collapse in unit sales. Decidedly poor timing for Elon, but necessary for the "pump".

Your comment on BMW is likely in regard to BMW Manufacturing, of Spartanburg, SC whose 375,000 to 400,000 units yearly is in line with Model 3 output. Given that BMW sells in the neighborhood of 2.5 million vehicles yearly worldwide, it isn't much of a "brag".

Of note;

https://qz.com/1703260/teslas-model-3-may-never-catch-up-to-the-nissan-leaf/

I would also note that if you are living in California, where 40% of Tesla's sales occur, you probably see a lot of Tesla's. Unfortunately, the subsidies are drying up.