Apple Maps improvements conclude with push into Alaska, Central & Southeast US

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,575member
    Soli said:
    zcave said:
    Here's the new year, and I still have the old maps for Alaska, southeast, and central US.  I wonder how long past their deadline we'll have to wait.
    I can't seem to find a deadline. Would you mind posting a link to where Apple has stated when map changes for different regions will be available?
    First sentence in the article Soli. 

At 2019's WWDC the company promised that by the end of the year (2019 LOL) its maps would include more detail regarding roads, bike paths, parking lots, parks, and more across the entire country.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    ArcaSwiss said:
    I don't get why Apple has their own maps. Google Maps is what I use and don't think Apples are as good
    AI/DED has written many articles about it. Do you remember when Apple used Google Maps in iOS? Do you remember that Google wouldn't offer Apple vector mapping or turn-by-turn directions unless Apple ponied up copious amounts of personal user data? 
    FWIW DED was not privy to the negotiations between Apple and Google over maps so he's guessing at who wanted what and why, just as we all are. 
    Apple had started putting together their own mapping resources years before those negotiations too so things are not as one-sided as DED portrayed it IMO.

"Privacy" became the public excuse bandied about but the plans were in place to dump the partnership long ago, just 2 years after the iPhone was introduced. No doubt Google was even more aware of what was going on within Apple and geo-services.
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/01/apple_purchased_google_maps_competitor_placebase_report

Also FWIW Google Maps for iOS does have an "Incognito mode".  Certainly not perfect privacy but a major improvement.
    https://blog.google/products/maps/updates-incognito-mode-and-your-timeline-maps/ 
    All that really shows is that Apple was aware early on, that Google was working to exclude them from the latest developments and features, nothing more. 
    Six months give or take after the very first Android phone went to market? Not likely Mel.

You are as aware as anyone that Apple wants everything under their wing, as much as is rational anyway. Maps were rational since it was a big selling point for the original iPhone.  IMO there's no such thing as a long-term Apple partner outside of Foxconn (by necessity) and that one may get throttled back eventually. In recent years Foxconn itself has made noises about the unwise dependence on one major client.
    You have this all wrong. They came out with this much later. Like any very large company, Apple has many research projects going on. It’s easy to understand that as soon as Google copied the iphone with Android, and the statement, ingenuous as it was, from Google about how they didn’t want any phone OS ruling the air, that apple could suspect that Google wasn’t going to fairly compete. I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple shortly began to investigate how to get Google products competitively challenged by Apple. It’s not as though Apple banned Google’s products. If they had tried that, then what you say would make at least some sense, but not otherwise.
    Soli
  • Reply 43 of 44
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,499member
    I have occasionally used Waze and enjoyed it, and there's nothing "wrong" with Google Maps other than the data-mining and spyware built into all of its products. If you're okay with that, great.

I'm glad I have the option of Apple Maps, which doesn't do any of that -- and that it has continuously improved over the years, whereas my (now quite limited) view of Google Maps is that it has badly stagnated in terms of presentation. Apple Maps has -- for me at least -- always worked really well in most places I travel (big cities, by and large), but in recent years it seems to work just fine everywhere I go in North America, Iceland, and the UK (next year I get to explore some of Europe with it!).

When I quiz people who claim "Apple Maps suck," I have thus far always found that the last time they used it was shortly after it started, and that they live in an area generally underserved by all mapping companies. That said, Google had a big head start, worked hard on it, and came up with what was for a long time a superior product.

I'm glad Waze and Google Maps exist, but I prefer Apple Maps. I'm glad Spotify exists, but I prefer Apple Music. I'm absolutely not afraid of switching to another service if an Apple one doesn't meet my needs, but what's important to me is that there are competing services with clear differences to suit the tastes of those who prioritise differently than I do.