Two months later: AirPods Pro versus Powerbeats Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    This might sound stupid, but does anyone else ever experience “phantom cord syndrome”? Three years ago I chose BeatsX over the original AirPods as my first wireless buds. And for the longest time I would instinctively reach for the cord whenever I got out of bed or off the couch before remembering it wasn't there. After decades of being tethered, it took a while before that instinct faded away. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 38
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I’m over here recovering from an allergic reaction from the AirPod Pros my wife got me for Christmas. It was so much fun dealing with painful and itchy ears the entire holiday. Thanks Apple!

PS: I wear in-ear monitors for music all the time and never had a problem before...
  • Reply 23 of 38
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    Others offer hybrid solutions (www.westone.com/store/music/accessories/cables/bluetooth-cable) and I tried the OEM white wired that came with iPhone recently and while the sound seemed excellent for the price, I was reminded just how well something like Westones can isolate from noise without noise cancelling, with the pro series designed for stage musicians...
  • Reply 24 of 38
    chasm said:
    yusufd84 said:
    There are many voices around me and Greeks talk very loudly. Whenever i don’t want to hear noises  i used airpods pro  but unfortunately it doesn’t work anymore.
    Sorry you are having that problem, but your comments infer that you're not understanding what noise-cancelling will (and won't) do for you. ANC works well on steady, drone noise (like airplane engines or faraway crowd hubbub). It a) can't cancel all noise, and in particular b) does not even attempt to cancel irregular noise like people talking close to you or babies crying, dogs barking, that sort of thing. If it could do that, it could also cancel car horns seconds before hitting you when you cross the street, and nobody wants that.

I hope perhaps the better understanding of the limits of ANC helps you manage your environment a bit better. For better "every kind of noise" avoidance/reduction, you might consider a pair of over-ear ANC headphones -- but please be careful walking around with such things. I've seen a LOT of very close calls where people were lost in their music and were nearly run over/otherwise injured because they were not paying enough attention to their surroundings while blasting their music, which (incidentally) will also really do a number on your hearing later in life.
    Most of your comments are accurate, but since the OP is talking about the relative difference in ANC quality before and after the update, a discussion of how ANC is "supposed" to work is somewhat less than helpful for him/her.  He's comparing how his APP actually performed before and after the update, not how they perform versus how they should perform.  Apple's update apparently reduced actual capability.

And for the record, my Nokia ANC headset does just fine muting the sounds of people talking.  I use them specifically for that purpose all the time, working as I do in an office with lots of people on phone calls.

yusufd84
  • Reply 25 of 38
    rwx9901rwx9901 Posts: 100member
    I'm using the Pros. So far so good. ANC works well although I will say I'm somewhat of an ANC snob in that I currently use Bose Quiet Comfort headphones at the office. Nonetheless, it does what I wanted it to do. Pass-through is pretty cool also. Phone calls come in nice and clear. The knock I do have is that I can't seem to get the left earbud to stay in my ear no matter which silicone ear piece I use. I'm having to use the smallest one and sort of jam it into my ear canal in order for it to stay in. Outside of that this was a great Christmas gift.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 38
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Can't stand the size and hooks of the Beats. I prefer the AirPods Pro. Hoping someone makes foam tips for them soon to make them close to perfect. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 38
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    the left APP is insecure for my ear too. I'm just wearing them inside so far. Use AP2 for outside. But I've yet to do the exact fit tip test.... The noise cancellation I use without music too. Very pleasant.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 38
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    jkichline said:
    I’m over here recovering from an allergic reaction from the AirPod Pros my wife got me for Christmas. It was so much fun dealing with painful and itchy ears the entire holiday. Thanks Apple!

PS: I wear in-ear monitors for music all the time and never had a problem before...
    Could it be a case with itching powder?  If so, might clear up if you buy wife a new iphone. 😉
    jdb8167
  • Reply 29 of 38
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Soli said:
    davgreg said:
    The Powerbeats Pro are far more comfortable and are not made from the ugly white plastic that screams 2005.
    Case is nicer, battery life is better. Sound is fine for mobile. Nobody uses these things for critical listening.
    I do not want noise cancellation when out walking. 

I guess it depends upon your needs.
    That's a dumb comment. 

I am not sure why you think that is a dumb comment.

My use of the Powerbeats Pro is outdoors hiking & walking in various environments. I want a comfortable and secure headset that does not mask the sounds around me. The Apple branded headphones would end up falling out and lost on a trail or sidewalk and they do not fit well in my case.

The sound quality is not a huge consideration. When I use headphones at home I have a set of over the ears Bowers & Wilkins and my spekers are Focals -way beyond anything a bluetooth headphone by anyone can produce.

I stand by the tired white look of the Apple branded product. Apple brought out white plastic earbuds in 2001- it is time for a color option 19 years later.

• Reply 30 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    amoonra said:
    I bought first gen airpods, but after 2 years I got just 2 at most hours of playtime and that was deal breaker that I am not gonna purchase another airpods, simply too expensive to be replacing them every 2-3 years... So in the September I bought powerbeats pro, just to try them and maybe let them go... Well now they are my daily carry. Sound is decent and I don't even know about "hook", I am not really fan of silicon tips so I am using the smallest ones and don't stick them deeply, just tip. But what is really bad about powerbeats is charging, many times they simply don't connect pins to charge them (last month I found out after few hours in charging case that they are still connected to phone...) that might be improved in second gen, but over all I think they are pretty great...
    Batteries wear out. I think of them as similar to another popular wearable — running shoes, which last much less time and cost about as much as APs. And you can’t even recycle them; they're much larger and go straight to landfill. 

Just bought a pair of the APP, and got the Apple Care. It has a battery service when below 80% or something (they replace them). Seems reasonable. 
    edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 38
    jkichline said:

Are you honestly trying to blame Apple for a supposed allergic reaction to AirPods? Wow. We have a winner.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    davgreg said:

My use of the Powerbeats Pro is outdoors hiking & walking in various environments. I want a comfortable and secure headset that does not mask the sounds around me. The Apple branded headphones would end up falling out and lost on a trail or sidewalk and they do not fit well in my case.

The sound quality is not a huge consideration. When I use headphones at home I have a set of over the ears Bowers & Wilkins and my spekers are Focals -way beyond anything a bluetooth headphone by anyone can produce.

I stand by the tired white look of the Apple branded product. Apple brought out white plastic earbuds in 2001- it is time for a color option 19 years later.
    You really don't see how it's a dumb comment to imply that AirPods Pro can't have ANC turned off (or Transparency Mode enabled) when you're "out walking"? If your goal wasn't to state a falsehood then what's the point of mentioning noise cancelation when walking as if it's feature that isn't optional?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 38

rwx9901 said:
    I'm using the Pros. So far so good. ANC works well although I will say I'm somewhat of an ANC snob in that I currently use Bose Quiet Comfort headphones at the office. Nonetheless, it does what I wanted it to do. Pass-through is pretty cool also. Phone calls come in nice and clear. The knock I do have is that I can't seem to get the left earbud to stay in my ear no matter which silicone ear piece I use. I'm having to use the smallest one and sort of jam it into my ear canal in order for it to stay in. Outside of that this was a great Christmas gift.
    Hate to break it to ya, but that isn’t a knock against the product — that’s your ear. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Soli said:
    davgreg said:

You really don't see how it's a dumb comment to imply that AirPods Pro can't have ANC turned off (or Transparency Mode enabled) when you're "out walking"? If your goal wasn't to state a falsehood then what's the point of mentioning noise cancelation when walking as if it's feature that isn't optional?
    I have this guy blocked, but if he happens to read my reply to your reply -- for what it's worth the normal AirPods have never spontaneously fallen out of my ears, used on many walks and more vigorous activities. YMMV, of course, depending on the shape of your ears. Which is why I just bought a pair of the APP for my SO, and they fit snug. You can turn off the ANC or even turn on mic-assisted pass-thru audio of your surroundings. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 38
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    jkichline said:

Are you honestly trying to blame Apple for a supposed allergic reaction to AirPods? Wow. We have a winner.
    !
  • Reply 36 of 38
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    I sure wish Apple would offer slightly larger tips for the AirPods Pro... or license the proprietary design to a 3rd party that will. I can't get an optimal seal with either ear.
    watto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 37 of 38
    rattlhedrattlhed Posts: 155member
    The Power Beats Pro is the only Apple product I've ever purchased that I regret.  I was looking for the best running headphones I could find and was hoping they would fit the bill.  The regular Air Pods let in too much wind noise for me when running (unless wearing a cap that went over my ears but that's only good in the winter).  I was hoping the in-ear feature of the Beats would solve that but I couldn't tell much of a difference.  I held on to them hoping I would come around, but never did.  Once the Air Pods Pro came out, these were the ultimate headphones I was looking for.  Unfortunately the Beats are now dead to me.  If you're looking at either option, I would highly recommend the Air Pods Pro.
  • Reply 38 of 38

rwx9901 said:
    Hate to break it to ya, but that isn’t a knock against the product — that’s your ear. 
    Absolutely, the OP should definitely get new ears and quite crabbing at Apple.  What a fool for thinking a $250 product might actually be able to adapt.  I am getting just sick and bloody tired of all these whingers with non-standard body parts blaming Apple for their problems.  What a bunch of losers!

/s