The Brydge Pro+ keyboard adds a trackpad to your iPad Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    If I traveled more, I'd get one of these. When I travel and expect to spend substantial time working, I take a laptop, but when I travel and expect only brief check-ins, I take an iPad and the Bluetooth keyboard from my desk setup. However, it does feel clunky reaching forward to the screen to click things, since I'm so used to the laptop setup with the trackpad nestled under my hand.

I haven't tried a mouse/trackpad with an iPad yet. I'm curious whether that feels the same as using a Mac, or is still comparatively inefficient. Making text selections is particularly annoying on a touch screen.
    edited January 2020 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 42
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    melgross said:
    The trackpad will be much more useful when apple stops playing games and moves the mouse control from an accessibility item to screen options and provide more options for the mouse pointer. Right now, iPadOS mouse support feels like they don't really want to provide it.
    Apple tends to go at these things slowly. After all they’ve never had mouse support before in iOS. To me, this is a test for them, if it seems people really do want it, not just a small number, they will probably expand on it next year. After all, in the betas, from requests, they have given smaller mouse pointers than originally. I believe there’s hope for more.

Or, like admitting that the butterfly keyboard was a piece of crap, they are simply dragging their feet out of some false sense of purity or ideology.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    MplsP said:
    I stopped reading at "Bluetooth connectivity..."

The continuing absence of a decent third-party smart connector keyboard for iPads -- four years after the intro of the SC -- is both surprising and distressing.
    The Apple keyboard & pointers use BT. What's the main disadvantage, having to charge it? They rate it at 3-months between charges:

https://www.brydge.com/products/brydge-pro-plus-for-ipad-pro?affiliate_id=90151&click_id=2959333671&utm_source=pepperjam&utm_medium=affiliate&clickId=2959333671
    We have several apple BT keyboards and mice and work and routinely have issues with connectivity, and yes, even though they need charges infrequently, charging is an issue because they lose their charge at inopportune times. My wife had a BT keyboard with her old iPad Air and regularly had connectivity issues with it as well. Then there's the issue of the environmental cost of an additional lithium battery.

I have a Logitech folio keyboard for my iPad Pro that uses the smart connector and it's always connected, I never have connectivity issues and I never have to charge it. It's a shame there aren't more options for the smart connector. As apple moved it to the short side with the newer generation of keyboards they actually made it less useful, so unfortunately I expect we won't see any more.

davgreg said:
    I have the Logitech case/keyboard for my iPad Pro and wonder how the Brydge compares on keyboard quality.

I really do not think the trackpad is necessary when you can just touch the screen.
    I got my wife a new iPad Air with a bridge keyboard for Christmas and can attest that it's well built with a good feel to it. It's comparable to the Logitech keyboard I have for my iPad Pro. As others have mentioned touching with your finger doesn't cut it if you need fine precision. I like my iPad for a lot of uses and a trackpad would be awesome. 

Do you then also advocate for using Cat 6 cables over WiFi?  They are faster, more secure and more reliable.  /s

Apple walked right past any bluetooth issues long ago with both the AirPods and the Apple Watch. 
  • Reply 24 of 42
    MplsP said:

Wow!   At VERY Long Last -- the iPad has grown up and become a real computer!

Congratulations iPad!

It will be interesting to see how it compares to the MacBooks.  Apple has upgraded the operating system to include many of the necessary features required of a full OS and the main thing lacking was a mouse / trackpad and cursor.  

So, how will this impact MacBook Air sales? 
    It's very possible the iPad Pro will not only be faster and more powerful but far more flexible because it not only has a touch screen but it can function equally well (actually better!) as a tablet.

This could very easily become THE choice of students.
    Except iOS is still very clunky and difficult to use for many workflows. 

You mean it isn't all convoluted and bloated like MacOS?    For the vast majority of people and the vast majority of uses, iPad OS works perfectly well and it is getting better at a steady rate.

Hell, I can't stand to even browse Apple News or FaceBook on my MacBook -- but it works like a charm on my iPad and iPhone.

While iPad OS is never likely to replace MacOS for hardcore power users, the vast majority of people would find iPad OS not only perfectly adequate but far easier to use and more friendly -- which is the underlying essence of all Apple products.  Plus, with this, you can use it either in tablet mode or laptop mode.  For the mass majority of users this iis a very big win and long overdue.

Added:   This could have a side benefit for MacBooks:   As Apple went all in on their thin & light designs, they forced too many compromises on the MacBook line, and sacrificed functionality for their obsession with thin & light.   By letting the iPad take over the common, low level functions of most users, they free up the MacBook line to emphasize functionality over portability and better serve the needs of those who really need a highly functional product.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 25 of 42
    bigpics said:

Congratulations iPad!

It will be interesting to see how it compares to the MacBooks.  Apple has upgraded the operating system to include many of the necessary features required of a full OS and the main thing lacking was a mouse / trackpad and cursor.  

It's very possible the iPad Pro will not only be faster and more powerful but far more flexible because it not only has a touch screen but it can function equally well (actually better!) as a tablet.

That's still a rev or two away, IMO.  But seems part (not all I'll venture) of where they're heading.

I agree -- they are like someone dipping their toe in the water afraid to jump in.  Rather uncharacteristic of Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    shanklinlandshanklinland Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    I'm a fan of Brydge (been using it on my iPad Mini 4 for a few years) and the addition of mouse support was frustrating at first but once I accepted the mouse as a "finger" my frustration went away. But I agree that Apple needs to up its capabilities.

I don't buy the "accessibility" pitch. The folks that need this to navigate the iPad needed it in 2010 on day 1. They added it in year 9. It's not like suddenly some new handicap came along that they could no longer ignore.

As for claiming they made this for people who have a hard time navigating the iPad they could not have made it more difficult to activate. That's a lot of navigating around to get to the point where they can actually use it to navigate around. Baby steps I guess.

If I do get the Pro 11 for my birthday I'll be getting one of these. 

edited January 2020
  • Reply 27 of 42
    GeorgeBMac said: 

Do you then also advocate for using Cat 6 cables over WiFi?  They are faster, more secure and more reliable.  /s

Apple walked right past any bluetooth issues long ago with both the AirPods and the Apple Watch. 
    Well, I for one do emphatically advocate for using a wired connection rather than wifi, when it's available and there's no need for wifi.  WiFi is also a waste of power when it's not needed.

With regard to Apple having "walked right past any bluetooth issues long ago with both the AirPods and the Apple Watch," is that why it takes two or three tries to connect my BT headset to my MBP?  The same headset that connects to my iPhone, my wife's Android, and my kids' various phones without a hitch?  Is that why my co-worker can't keep his freaking AirPods, AirPods, connected to his MBP without them disconnecting themselves after 30 or 40 minutes?  Is that why virtually everyone in my office who uses non-Apple BT products has problems connecting, or keeping them connected, with their MBPs when those devices connect with their other devices just fine?

Apple's implementation of BT is good, even excellent at times.  It's not perfect, by any means.
    MplsP
  • Reply 28 of 42

The continuing absence of a decent third-party smart connector keyboard for iPads -- four years after the intro of the SC -- is both surprising and distressing.
    The Apple keyboard & pointers use BT. What's the main disadvantage, having to charge it? They rate it at 3-months between charges:

https://www.brydge.com/products/brydge-pro-plus-for-ipad-pro?affiliate_id=90151&click_id=2959333671&utm_source=pepperjam&utm_medium=affiliate&clickId=2959333671
    Bluetooth signal can be dodgy and laggy and frustrating.
    I always buy wired keyboards and trackballs for my Macs for just that reason.

Why couldn't they just have a flat 90° angle USB-C connector for it? And include a couple of USB-C jacks in the thing, too?
    Here's the product you're looking for: https://www.apple.com/macbook-air/.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    MplsP said:

Congratulations iPad!

You need to upgrade if you've still got iOS on your ipad.  ;)

https://www.apple.com/ipados/

On a more serious note, people are looking for MacBook Pros in the shape and cost of an iPad; and that will just not happen in quite some time (give it ~2 years for things to merge for software developers), and yet they buy iPads and try to turn them into MBPs, and then complain about the end result.

I've tried, every couple of years or so, switching from a MBP to an iPad, and unless you do all your work in a single app (like ssh/mosh into a server) it just isn't the same; if you need a proper computer your productivity will drop if you try to only use an iPad.

Apple could try to "fix" this "problem", but today that would just result in… the MacBook Air.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

I’ve been using the BT Apple keyboard, mouse, and trackpad for years on my iMacs without lag. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. 
  • Reply 31 of 42
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    MplsP said:

We have several apple BT keyboards and mice and work and routinely have issues with connectivity, and yes, even though they need charges infrequently, charging is an issue because they lose their charge at inopportune times. My wife had a BT keyboard with her old iPad Air and regularly had connectivity issues with it as well. Then there's the issue of the environmental cost of an additional lithium battery.

I have a Logitech folio keyboard for my iPad Pro that uses the smart connector and it's always connected, I never have connectivity issues and I never have to charge it. It's a shame there aren't more options for the smart connector. As apple moved it to the short side with the newer generation of keyboards they actually made it less useful, so unfortunately I expect we won't see any more.

davgreg said:
    I have the Logitech case/keyboard for my iPad Pro and wonder how the Brydge compares on keyboard quality.

I really do not think the trackpad is necessary when you can just touch the screen.
    I got my wife a new iPad Air with a bridge keyboard for Christmas and can attest that it's well built with a good feel to it. It's comparable to the Logitech keyboard I have for my iPad Pro. As others have mentioned touching with your finger doesn't cut it if you need fine precision. I like my iPad for a lot of uses and a trackpad would be awesome. 

Actually, yes, depending on the use. I work in healthcare and we have networked patient monitors that are all hardwired. Someone asked once about wifi or bluetooth and they were laughed out of the room.

As usual, your response lacks insight and nuance. There are times when a wireless connection has significant advantages that are worth the drawbacks. Other times even minor drawbacks make it a non-starter. A wired connection for the Apple Watch would make it all but useless so BT easily wins. The keyboard for my iMac never moves more than 6". What's the advantage of a BT connection? None. For a keyboard that is physically attached to the iPad, what's the advantage of a wireless connection if there's an easy dedicated connector light the smart connector right there? 
    edited January 2020 beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 32 of 42

I’ve been using the BT Apple keyboard, mouse, and trackpad for years on my iMacs without lag. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. 
    Maybe you're just lucky.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:

davgreg said:

Actually, yes, depending on the use. I work in healthcare and we have networked patient monitors that are all hardwired. Someone asked once about wifi or bluetooth and they were laughed out of the room.

As usual, your response lacks insight and nuance. There are times when a wireless connection has significant advantages that are worth the drawbacks. Other times even minor drawbacks make it a non-starter. A wired connection for the Apple Watch would make it all but useless so BT easily wins. The keyboard for my iMac never moves more than 6". What's the advantage of a BT connection? None. For a keyboard that is physically attached to the iPad, what's the advantage of a wireless connection if there's an easy dedicated connector light the smart connector right there? 
    Do you also get into discussions about regular soap and tell everyone how useless it is because it can't be used to disinfect operating theatres?

Wireless nowadays just works, and it's a cable less to have to deal with; and a port less to have to deal with. Just accept that progress happens.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 34 of 42
    GeorgeBMac said: 

Well, I for one do emphatically advocate for using a wired connection rather than wifi, when it's available and there's no need for wifi.  WiFi is also a waste of power when it's not needed.

With regard to Apple having "walked right past any bluetooth issues long ago with both the AirPods and the Apple Watch," is that why it takes two or three tries to connect my BT headset to my MBP?  The same headset that connects to my iPhone, my wife's Android, and my kids' various phones without a hitch?  Is that why my co-worker can't keep his freaking AirPods, AirPods, connected to his MBP without them disconnecting themselves after 30 or 40 minutes?  Is that why virtually everyone in my office who uses non-Apple BT products has problems connecting, or keeping them connected, with their MBPs when those devices connect with their other devices just fine?

Apple's implementation of BT is good, even excellent at times.  It's not perfect, by any means.
    LOL... You shoulda bought AirPods.   Like I said: 
    "Apple walked right past any bluetooth issues long ago with both the AirPods and the Apple Watch."

edited January 2020
  • Reply 35 of 42
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:

davgreg said:

Sorry, but I haven't seen a wired keyboard for sale in years.
    You could maybe get a used one on EBay if you really think they are better than BT.  But it would be better to just get with the times.

So:  Why use BT if a proprietary, hardwired connector is right there?   Because it serves no purpose other than to increase the cost of the iPad for no purpose than to limit 3rd party options while failing to provide any meaningful function.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member
    MplsP said:

Congratulations iPad!

You mean it isn't all convoluted and bloated like MacOS?    For the vast majority of people and the vast majority of uses, iPad OS works perfectly well and it is getting better at a steady rate.

Hell, I can't stand to even browse Apple News or FaceBook on my MacBook -- but it works like a charm on my iPad and iPhone.

While iPad OS is never likely to replace MacOS for hardcore power users, the vast majority of people would find iPad OS not only perfectly adequate but far easier to use and more friendly -- which is the underlying essence of all Apple products.  Plus, with this, you can use it either in tablet mode or laptop mode.  For the mass majority of users this iis a very big win and long overdue.

Added:   This could have a side benefit for MacBooks:   As Apple went all in on their thin & light designs, they forced too many compromises on the MacBook line, and sacrificed functionality for their obsession with thin & light.   By letting the iPad take over the common, low level functions of most users, they free up the MacBook line to emphasize functionality over portability and better serve the needs of those who really need a highly functional product.
    "Added:   This could have a side benefit for MacBooks:   As Apple went all in on their thin & light designs, they forced too many compromises on the MacBook line, and sacrificed functionality for their obsession with thin & light.   By letting the iPad take over the common, low level functions of most users, they free up the MacBook line to emphasize functionality over portability and better serve the needs of those who really need a highly functional product."

Agree with this:

iPad / iPadOS for mainstream users
    MBP / macOS for pro / power users
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 37 of 42
    svanstrom said:
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:

davgreg said:

Do you also get into discussions about regular soap and tell everyone how useless it is because it can't be used to disinfect operating theatres?

Wireless nowadays just works, and it's a cable less to have to deal with; and a port less to have to deal with. Just accept that progress happens.
    That was my point - wireless usually works, but not always. I and others I know have had multiple issues with BT connections. My real question is why make things more complicated if they don't need to be? The wired keyboard from my previous iMac still works perfectly. The cable is out of the way and nothing to deal with. I'm not against progress - just against needless complexity. 
    canukstormbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 38 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    bigpics said:

Has Apple said it will allow third party use of the SC?  And if so under what terms?

Just curious as to who's culpable for the lack of any accessories...
    I believe Logitech uses it.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    MplsP said:
    That was my point - wireless usually works, but not always. I and others I know have had multiple issues with BT connections. My real question is why make things more complicated if they don't need to be? The wired keyboard from my previous iMac still works perfectly. The cable is out of the way and nothing to deal with. I'm not against progress - just against needless complexity. 
    Well, I can't dismiss other peoples' actual experiences, but let's just say that they don't match up with my own, or those around me.

The whole thing just feels very much like when you see a parent struggle with a fairly basic problem on their phone, and then their preteen sighs and fixes it (for the umpteenth time) in half a second. Upon which the parent goes into a tirade about how all the new fandangled stuff never works, has ruined anyone younger than them, and probably is one of the four horsemen in disguise.

(My only problem with anything BT is that with the LE-stuff I neurotically check the batteries too often; and that I have to fight an urge to go into an old man-tirade about how batteries are magic nowadays.)

Your setup feels like an outlier as far as what companies must build their stuff to fit; and nowadays there's not much of a difference between adding a chip for wireless stuff, or adding a chip dealing with the wired communications. So they just make it work (without having to deal with what type of USB-connector they'll get hated for using); and this way they don't have to deal with the hurdles of Apple maybe, maybe not, in an unknown time period approving how they use the "Smart Connector" or lighting port (either of which might get replaced without any warning whatsover).

EDIT: Don't forget that BT, unlike the "smart" connector, is a safe way to make sure that people can use their iPad in portrait mode if they want to. Sure, it won't be as pretty if the whole thing is designed to only be used in landscape; but it works. For that extra long email or code review you just detach the two, and either use a stand or lean it against something.
    edited January 2020 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 40 of 42
    svanstrom said:
    MplsP said:
    Well, I can't dismiss other peoples' actual experiences, but let's just say that they don't match up with my own, or those around me.

The whole thing just feels very much like when you see a parent struggle with a fairly basic problem on their phone, and then their preteen sighs and fixes it (for the umpteenth time) in half a second. Upon which the parent goes into a tirade about how all the new fandangled stuff never works, has ruined anyone younger than them, and probably is one of the four horsemen in disguise.

(My only problem with anything BT is that with the LE-stuff I neurotically check the batteries too often; and that I have to fight an urge to go into an old man-tirade about how batteries are magic nowadays.)

Your setup feels like an outlier as far as what companies must build their stuff to fit; and nowadays there's not much of a difference between adding a chip for wireless stuff, or adding a chip dealing with the wired communications. So they just make it work (without having to deal with what type of USB-connector they'll get hated for using); and this way they don't have to deal with the hurdles of Apple maybe, maybe not, in an unknown time period approving how they use the "Smart Connector" or lighting port (either of which might get replaced without any warning whatsover).

EDIT: Don't forget that BT, unlike the "smart" connector, is a safe way to make sure that people can use their iPad in portrait mode if they want to. Sure, it won't be as pretty if the whole thing is designed to only be used in landscape; but it works. For that extra long email or code review you just detach the two, and either use a stand or lean it against something.
    Except the issues I’ve had have been with Kensington and Apple gear - not exactly ‘low end,’ and after you’ve paired the device, there’s nothing else to know or do. You should be able to ‘just use it.’ I did try erasing and re-pairing the devices but unsurprisingly this didn’t change anything. Unless there’s something more to BT that I’m not aware of? I can personally attest to the issues with batteries on LE stuff - I had a cheap pair of BT headphones that I got to work out with and despite keeping them charged they would turn up dead when I needed them. I ended up chucking them and going back to the Apple wired headphones. They always work.

Wireless is great for a lot of things, but a wired connection is virtually always simpler and more reliable. Personally, I’ve never had or even felt the need to have my iPad Pro in portrait orientation, but you’re right that BT has advantage for this use.