CES Showstoppers: All the best product announcements

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2020
ShowStoppers is yet another CES staple, and for 2020, AppleInsider was in attendance checking out more of the latest accessories that spanned impressive Mac peripherals, innovative iPhone companion screens, to new smart home accessories. Here were our favorites.

CES 2020 ShowStoppers
AppleInsider is at CES 2020

Brilliant

In 2019, Brilliant announced HomeKit support was coming to its flagship wall switches. HomeKit still hasn't arrived, but Brilliant says that it is actively working with Apple diligently to bring that functionality to the product.

In the meantime, they've released two new products. There is a new single wall switch that doesn't have a built-in display. It can be tapped to turn lights on or off, or lights can be dimmed and brightened by sliding your finger up and down.

They've also debuted a new simple smart outlet. Both of which can be controlled from the Brilliant wall panel and, eventually, Apple's HomeKit as well.

OWC

OWC had a massive lineup of new announcements for CES 2020, so we focused on just the ones that looked the most exciting.

OWC ThunderBay FLEX 8
OWC ThunderBay FLEX 8

The new ThunderBay FLEX 8 is a massive storage and PCIe option for professionals that combines a Thunderbolt 3 dock, external storage, and a PCIe expansion solution.

There are eight bays inside that can house up 128TB of storage. On the front are two USB-A ports, a USB-C port, an SD card reader, and a CFExpress reader, all of which connect over Thunderbolt 3.

OWC Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock
OWC Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock

The new Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock has a variety of ports, including Ethernet, USB-A, DisplayPort, and eSATA. The back also has a switch to turn off that fan, which will run for 30 minutes before the heat becomes an issue.

Akitio Node Titan eGPU
Akitio Node Titan eGPU

Then we checked out the Akitio Node Titan eGPU enclosure. This enclosure is easily accessible from the top and can be done all without any tools. It can house a full-sized graphics card and can provide up to 650W of power as well as charge your machine at up to 85W over Thunderbolt 3.

Speck Predisio2

Speck Presidio2 iPhone cases
Speck Presidio2 iPhone cases

Speck has long-touted its Presidio line of iPhone cases, and CES 2020 is bringing the new Presidio2 generation. The updated design retains the internal ribs but adds an air layer around the outside to add an airbag-type effect when dropping the phone. The air inside compresses and absorbs much of the shock when a device hits the ground.

CastAway second-screen

CastAway successfully raised a significant amount of money through its crowdfunding campaign in 2019, and they were at CES 2020 to show their progress on the device.

CastAway multi-screen iPhone case
CastAway multi-screen iPhone case

For those not familiar, CastAway is essentially a second screen experience for iPhone and Android handsets. The display itself is just a Chrome-based tablet that sits next to your iPhone. It allows improved productivity, such as the ability to disconnect the CastAway device while you are on a phone call to take notes.

It also can turn into a larger full-screen keyboard when horizontal or perhaps even a removable gaming controller for the iPhone.

At ShowStoppers, we got to hold their non-functional prototype to see the progress on the housing and magnetic connections. It felt solid -- for a prototype -- but we are still a bit away from the device shipping this May.

Matias Apple & Windows keyboards

Matias aluminum keyboard
Matias aluminum keyboard

The Matias aluminum keyboards largely borrow their aesthetic from what Apple has already done, but they fill in the small gaps that Apple leaves out.

For example, their wireless keyboard has the multi-device connection feature as well as slightly larger right-hand keys for the European market. They also have keys such as "Home" and full-sized arrow keys, but don't go as far as adding the number pad.

Apple also discontinued its only wired keyboard, so Matias once more steps in with a wired version as well for the users that require it.

Stay tuned to AppleInsider for additional CES 2020 coverage. Be sure to check out our previous roundups covering the best of Unveiled and the best of Pepcom.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    why even show CastAway, it is just a concept mock-up just one step above slideware. 

Not sure why so many people still put their money into crowdfunding, the success rate of real usable and supported products coming out of crowdfunding is very low. I heard of more people giving their money who never saw the actual product. The reason these people go to crowdfunding verses VC, VC will not give them money since there people can not articulate a viable business plan. It take a lot more than a good idea and money to being a good idea to market and these people are trying to cut corners.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    bengbeng Posts: 34member
    I am looking for an outdoor camera with light and motion detection to replace one of my spotlights on the eve of my house.  It needs to be AC powered with wireless communication.  The location is hard to reach, so battery powered cameras are not a good solution.

I havent seen any systems that match these specs.  Seems like a no brainer to me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Wired keyboard!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    As a whole, I really liked what I saw out of CES this year. Nice to see that Apple was back, even if that means absolutely nothing for us on this forum and probably for hardly anyone at the show.

It's a little odd to see automobiles at CES, but it also makes sense. It's very odd to see Impossible Foods at CES since it's not a consumer electronic in any sense of the term, so it makes it feel like how San Diego ComicCon has e"volved" into supporting anyone that wants to pay for a both.

edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    XSIVXSIV Posts: 1member
    The CastAway Case looks like a really cool idea.  I know of many many uses for this extra screen and I really like the fact that it can fit several sizes of iPhone models. I could potentially see help for people that have to carry two phones for work and personal. Since reading this, I have read about it on the crowdfunding site and it looks like it has some very good progress being made.  I like the fact that it can be disconnected or work together; isn't bulky, well designed, can charge your phone, has front and back cameras, a decent screen, can be used as a protective case, and can be used with Wifi or Bluetooth.  My only fear is disconnecting it and losing it.  Maybe they will add a beep alarm if it gets too far away from the host.

I agree with another comment about the crowdfunding of certain products.  Many of those involved in new ventures and ideas have never been through the whole process of creating a product.  The steps that appears to really foul things up are the concept to production process and fulfillment process.  Yet, the CastAway team has been pretty good about transparency of the product workflow and any issues being encountered. Much more information is available about the product and the timeline for concept to  production, and shipping to fulfillment appears to be well thought out.

It is designed in the US, but made China which means you are prone to delays. I wonder if the actual working model ever made it to CES.  Apparently, there are working models to show.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    It's called the Consumer Electronics Show but it's not a show for consumers. Consumers proper aren't even allowed in the show.  Not a consumers' show in any sense, it's for those who provide electronics products to consumers. 

As it is a show about lifestyle's and possibly foreword thinking people, I think it's more out-of-the-box marketing than odd to see Impossible Foods there, especially with the focus on health and fitness.

But even though I can't get in, I see an issue with eVolving becoming DeVolving of focus, and would hate to see $1000 bedsheets, Artisan coffees, designer neckties, or who knows what, without some fairly strong link to consumer electronics.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member

entropys said:
    Wired keyboard!
    Very handy to have along with a wired mouse if you need to troubleshoot your Mac.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    macgui said:
    It's called the Consumer Electronics Show but it's not a show for consumers. Consumers proper aren't even allowed in the show.  Not a consumers' show in any sense, it's for those who provide electronics products to consumers.
    Consumer Electronics Show is an apt name to showcase CE (Consumer Electronics). The name is an annual bazaar for companies to sell electronics to consumers.
    Radio_Signalpscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 14
    beng said:
    I am looking for an outdoor camera with light and motion detection to replace one of my spotlights on the eve of my house.  It needs to be AC powered with wireless communication.  The location is hard to reach, so battery powered cameras are not a good solution.

I havent seen any systems that match these specs.  Seems like a no brainer to me.
    Take a look at the HomeKit compatible cams from Eufy. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    yada yada
    The real show stoppers, if you can call them that, was AMD's release of the 4000 series mobile chips.    Threader ripper with 128 threads wasn't a bad deal either.    Both of these demonstrate just how woefully behind Intel is and with them Apple.  
  • Reply 11 of 14
    wizard69 said:
    yada yada
    The real show stoppers, if you can call them that, was AMD's release of the 4000 series mobile chips.    Threader ripper with 128 threads wasn't a bad deal either.    Both of these demonstrate just how woefully behind Intel is and with them Apple.  
    Why do you always come to AI to pimp AMD and disparage Intel? I feel like you’ve been saying that Apple would’ve better off going with AMD since the Intel Macs were announced. Personally, I’d prefer if Apple used neither, but I also don’t get upset that my wishes are not yet realized.

PS: Even with the new Mac Pro I was hearing people (mostly on AnandTech) claim that AMD’s soon-to-be releases CPUs would be a better fit in terms of perform a few and cost, yet I see they are $4k per chip. Not to mention that the Mac Pro was finalized well before those chips came out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Dear AppleInsider, Please cover CarPlay head units as well, we are also thirsty of new CarPlay hardwares like we yearn for new Apple devices year after year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    beng said:

Ring Stick Up Wired and Ring Stick Up Elite meet the functional requirement. If you want an integrated light the Ring Spotlight Camera fits the bill. None of these are HomeKit compatible. 
  • Reply 14 of 14
    If these are considered "show stoppers" in any sense of those words, I don't think I ever need to go to CES.
    watto_cobra