Update Firefox now, because the Department of Homeland Security is telling you to

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,912member
    Or just use Safari and be done with it....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 30
    The thing about this that leaves me questioning the bigger picture is what interest would the ‘Department of Homeland Security’ have in alerting people and advising them to update to a newer version web browser. How would this affect ‘Homeland Security’? I smell a rat.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    MisterKit said:
    The thing about this that leaves me questioning the bigger picture is what interest would the ‘Department of Homeland Security’ have in alerting people and advising them to update to a newer version web browser. How would this affect ‘Homeland Security’? I smell a rat.
    What about this page helps DHS act in some sort of nefarious way? I only skimmed it, but it all seems like good advice, and I can see how if Americans are targeted through cyber attacks, especially those that work within the gov't, will our security and safety as a nation become more compromised. So what is this rat you're smelling?
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,410member
    I prefer and use Safari almost exclusively. I'm on an older OS so even an updated Safari will have security issues. Because of its age Safari sometimes won't render a site so only then do I use FF. 

I don't update FF all the time because it seems like I get an update every other day. But DHS says Houston has a problem, so why not.

Why does DHS care? Maybe they've had Mozilla enclose monitoring code so they can watch us from the inside. I think they're just trying to catch up to the FBI's 'restart your router' advisory. 'See? We at DHS care about America too!!'

I expect the NSA will tell us to rebuild our desktop next. Maybe the DEA will have to boot without extensions, or run Nortons's DiskDoctor. I've got my TechTools disc on standby. And I updated FF. Like somebody said earlier it only took a minuted and it didn't interfere at all.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Yeah, update now! Because having a "critical security issue that could allow attackers to take control of affected computers" that was previously unreported sounds like a great selling point. Yeesh.

Maybe delete Firefox and switch to a different browser. 
    Switching to a different browser solves nothing as they all have their own share of flaws.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 30
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,997member
    jcs2305 said:
    Yeah, update now! Because having a "critical security issue that could allow attackers to take control of affected computers" that was previously unreported sounds like a great selling point. Yeesh.

I literally updated yesterday. What's the big deal? Like other software haven't had critical vulnerabilities. *cough* Flash *cough* For that matter, why don't you chuck your computers since Intel vulnerabilities still exist?

What's the big deal with the OP hinting at removing this browser? People are defending Firefox like they are employed by them.. ease up. Flash has zero to do with this or the OP's opinion. Sheesh..

I also don't recall Flash or the goto fail bug granting control of a person's machine to an outside attacker. I could be wrong for sure.. just don't recall hearing that specifically. Or the federal government making a statement about either of them. Maybe the fact the the Dept of Homeland Security is telling folks that this exploit has been around for a while and has positively been exploited in the wild makes it bit more real and unnerving to some folks.  

Personally I use Frirefox on my Windows wok machine, but none of my macs or IOS devices so it wasn't that big of deal for me to update either.
    People aren't defending Firefox, they're attacking the supposition that one should quit using a piece of software because it has had a security bug that is now patched. As multiple other people have posted out, this would exclude not only every other browser on the market, but every operating system as well. 

As for Flash, there was a near continuous stream of bugs that allowed outside access to your system. Perhaps not complete control, but pretty close. Just do a google search for "Adobe Flash Arbitrary Code Execution" - there's more than a few.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 30
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member

No doubt. I used to do a lot of website design, so needed every browser around. But, I don't use FF much anymore, so maybe better if it is just gone.

I've actually been using Brave more when not using Safari. It is utterly amazing how useable and fast some sites (that otherwise aren't) get with Brave.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 30
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,439moderator
    macgui said:
    I prefer and use Safari almost exclusively. I'm on an older OS so even an updated Safari will have security issues. Because of its age Safari sometimes won't render a site so only then do I use FF.
    It would be nice if Apple separated Safari updates from the OS. I get that they have to update webkit but why not just keep everyone's webkit and browser up to date. A browser is an app, it shouldn't be treated as a system component. When they stop supporting OS updates on older hardware, it requires switching browser for security and compatibility and it causes a support headache for developers because they can't tell everyone to just update their browser if it's an old computer.

Auto-updates for browsers also help with security issues and can easily be done in the background. Firefox usually updates itself on launch but I suppose if people don't quit the app it wouldn't update.
  • Reply 29 of 30

I don't get the snarky title; CISA has been publishing these type of advisories for 10 years and it includes all the major platforms.  They published a security advisory for Apple back in December regarding iOS, Catalina, etc.  It's nothing out the ordinary and they don't order people to do it; the verbiage is, 'encourages users and administrator to apply the necessary updates.'

edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 30
    macxpress said:
    Or just use Safari and be done with it....

Why? Safari is worse than Chrome in terms of customizability. There's barely any working ad blocker on it and Privacy Badger isn't available on it. I use FF because it's just so easy to customize. And then there are the things I'd rather not have to customize, like when you have Chrome open a link in a new tab, it opens it as a background tab rather than jumping to it. If you find your browser to be adequate, fine. But don't go telling me it's great, because it's not. On balance, FF gives me the best combination of power and customizations.
    edited January 2020