Regulatory filing points to new MacBook Pro launch in coming months

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I am still a bit chagrined about the lack of the backlit Apple logo and the "charging/fully charged" light on the charging plug. The non-inclusion of the extension cord for the power brick also rankles.
    1) What purpose did the glowing logo serve you? For Apple it was advertising.

2) I guess there is a slight purpose of the light on the plug, but how often did you use that over the Mac? I use the Mac because it also told me the percentage. As noted there are plenty of options for having a charging light on the cable from respected companies and since it's a cable and not a PSU it's safe. There are also options for regaining MagSafe-like disconnections, but I've never seen a need with how long batteries last on a single charge and how easily USB-C disconnects.

3) I recently purchased a longer USB-C cable for my MBP. Despite having owned a MBP with a removable USB-C power cable for a couple years now it only recently occurred to me that there's no reason to travel with two cords, and one of those cords being extra thick for providing AC power. This also can be tedious by having the power brick weighting down the cables in the middle. Having the power bring in the outlet with only a USB-C PD cord is considerably more elegant than the other solution where I sometimes I had to get a chair or luggage to balance the heavy PSU on when when traveling.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 22 of 36
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    DuhSesame said:

This is a much-needed move.

I recently sold off my disastrous, overpriced 2019 MBP15", and got the 16": the difference in the keyboard is like night and day, I am happy to say. Moreover, the exact same configuration on the 16" (as my 15") cost me 30% less. Go figure. 

I am still a bit chagrined about the lack of the backlit Apple logo and the "charging/fully charged" light on the charging plug. The non-inclusion of the extension cord for the power brick also rankles.
    Here you go.
    Very nice. But I am a little wary of their-party charging hardware...
    Well got to see the reviews, I can't complain, some of these third-party stuff is really bad, though there are great stuff and often one is enough.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    DuhSesame said:

I recently sold off my disastrous, overpriced 2019 MBP15", and got the 16": the difference in the keyboard is like night and day, I am happy to say. Moreover, the exact same configuration on the 16" (as my 15") cost me 30% less. Go figure. 

Here you go.
    Why? Think there’s something special about Apple USB-C cords? You can replace yours with one of any length, negating the need for the heavy AC extension cord - there’s literally no need for those anymore. 

Also, I have a third party charging brick made by Nekteck, permanently at both my home and office desks, they work just fine. 
  • Reply 24 of 36
    DuhSesame said:

Here you go.
    Why? Think there’s something special about Apple USB-C cords? You can replace yours with one of any length, negating the need for the heavy AC extension cord - there’s literally no need for those anymore. 

Also, I have a third party charging brick made by Nekteck, permanently at both my home and office desks, they work just fine. 
    I'm still looking for a 100W gallium nitride (GaN) charger for my MBP. I wish Anker had one since their products are surprisingly solid. Even Apple sells their 30 and 60W versions in their online store.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Soli said:
    DuhSesame said:

Here you go.

I'm still looking for a 100W gallium nitride (GaN) charger for my MBP. I wish Anker had one since their products are surprisingly solid. Even Apple sells their 30 and 60W versions in their online store.
    Yeah it's interesting to think about, you can have a 4m (13ft) long Type-C cable at 100W.  Since it don't have to deal with high voltages, it's much more convenient than extension cords.

These Type-C adapters allows you to have variable length on the laptop side & saves the charger become useless when you break them.  The down side is that could take a enormous space on your power strip.
    edited January 2020 fastasleep
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Soli said:
    No offense intended, but that is just an arrogant twaddle of a question. At multiple levels.

Soli said:
    2) I guess there is a slight purpose of the light on the plug, but how often did you use that over the Mac? I
    Not sure "use" is the right word, but yes, I did look at it all the time. There is little point in letting something draw phantom power for longer than necessary.

• Reply 27 of 36

DuhSesame said:

Here you go.

If one used a non-Apple cord or charger for charging -- and assuming one didn't lie when asked -- does the warranty still hold?
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Soli said:
    No offense intended, but that is just an arrogant twaddle of a question. At multiple levels.

Soli said:
    2) I guess there is a slight purpose of the light on the plug, but how often did you use that over the Mac? I
    Not sure "use" is the right word, but yes, I did look at it all the time. There is little point in letting something draw phantom power for longer than necessary.

Design language changes overtime.  On top of that, these hollow logo can be annoying especially when you use it under bright conditions.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Soli said:

Soli said:

1) No offense taken because it's not a dumb question to wonder why, as an end user, would give a shit about a design choice that serves no purpose to the end user except as a status symbol and clearly intended to help advertise for Apple.

I can't confirm it, but I see no reason to kill this simple solution to this effective marketing tool than new engineering choices making it infeasible. Since this occurred when Apple started using thinner top cases I can't see of another reason outside of the backlight setup being a different technology. If you're upset that Apple removed it when it serves no functional purpose to you just imagine how much Apple had to think it over when it does serve a clear marketing purpose to them. Once Apple moves to OLED for their laptops this will truly become impossible since the previous design used the all-white, all-on backlight to create the effect.

I doubt they removed it for its negative effect of projecting an Apple logo onto the display when the light on the backside of the open lid was more powerful than the display light, but that effect also shouldn't be ignored in a discussion about the translucent llid logo.

2) Phantom power? I'm not familiar with that term outside of audio equipment.

DuhSesame said:

Here you go.

If one used a non-Apple cord or charger for charging -- and assuming one didn't lie when asked -- does the warranty still hold?
    Surely you've been to an Apple Store, been to apple.com, or read comments where people mention that Apple sells 3rd-party products. Why would you assume that using a 3rd-party USB-C cable that Apple sells would somehow void a warranty?
    edited January 2020 fastasleepmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 36

DuhSesame said:

Here you go.

Uh, do you have some evidence to suggest that’s not the case? First I’ve ever heard of something like this. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

Soli said:

1) No offense taken because it's not a dumb question to wonder why, as an end user, would give a shit about a design choice that serves no purpose to the end user except as a status symbol and clearly intended to help advertise for Apple.

I can't confirm it, but I see no reason to kill this simple solution to this effective marketing tool than new engineering choices making it infeasible. Since this occurred when Apple started using thinner top cases I can't see of another reason outside of the backlight setup being a different technology. If you're upset that Apple removed it when it serves no functional purpose to you just imagine how much Apple had to think it over when it does serve a clear marketing purpose to them. Once Apple moves to OLED for their laptops this will truly become impossible since the previous design used the all-white, all-on backlight to create the effect.

I doubt they removed it for its negative effect of projecting an Apple logo onto the display when the light on the backside of the open lid was more powerful than the display light, but that effect also shouldn't be ignored in a discussion about the translucent llid logo.

DuhSesame said:

Here you go.

Surely you've been to an Apple Store, been to apple.com, or read comments where people mention that Apple sells 3rd-party products. Why would you assume that using a 3rd-party USB-C cable that Apple sells would somehow void a warranty?
    I'd think it has nothing to do with the thickness, the glowing logo itself is just another sheet of transparent material.

The glowing logo has been used for two decades, so it's good time for a change.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 32 of 36
    DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

Soli said:

DuhSesame said:

Here you go.

I'd think it has nothing to do with the thickness, the glowing logo itself is just another sheet of transparent material.

Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't seem like it would need too much thickness but it would be more than just a piece of milled aluminium since the plastic piece does need to be adhered to the aluminum. It's not much, but Apple does like to push the envelope, which is why we had a keyboard design that would stop working properly with nearly interruptible crumbs getting under the keys.

I still lean toward a different backlighting setup (or planning for a different backlighting setup), but I can't rule out that it's due to a lack of additional space in the top cover design.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Soli said:
    DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

Soli said:

DuhSesame said:

Here you go.

Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't seem like it would need too much thickness but it would be more than just a piece of milled aluminium since the plastic piece does need to be adhered to the aluminum. It's not much, but Apple does like to push the envelope, which is why we had a keyboard design that would stop working properly with nearly interruptible crumbs getting under the keys.

I still lean toward a different backlighting setup (or planning for a different backlighting setup), but I can't rule out that it's due to a lack of additional space in the top cover design.
    Think how people modify their iPhones to have the glowing logo, the story is pretty much (not exactly) the same.  The major difference here is you can't disassemble the panel or it will be a suicide.

The keyboard got other things to talk, more than just "dusts in the way", but that's another topic.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    I certainly think changing from glowing to metal is moving toward another language, pretty much everything else in 2015 besides MacBooks opted a metal logo, all of them have the room to fill one.  Metal also makes it look much unified to rest of the case.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 35 of 36
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Soli said:
    DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

Soli said:

DuhSesame said:

Here you go.

As I understand it, and was discussed at the time, it was due to the change in backlighting on the newer displays. Previously, the display used a single LED backlight. This had some "wasted" output, since it was basically just a light shining in there, so someone had the clever idea of putting a translucent bit of plastic on the back so that the excess light could shine through. (I had an HP at work that used the backlight to illuminate the keyboard through a small mirror at the top of the screen. Not as good as a backlit keyboard, and not as cool as a glowing logo.) The newer screens use a more efficient diffused backlight system, so a translucent panel wouldn't show the same nice, even glow, but rather a stripy one, if at all. Rather than add another LED just for the glowing logo, they removed it.

The new backlighting system also enabled them to make the display thinner. So the logo wasn't removed to make it thinner, the design changes that made it thinner resulted in the glowing logo no longer working.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    given the number of sales going on, seems like Macbook Air is very likely