New Apple iPhone 11 ads show off Slofies on a snowboard

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple premiered two new iPhone 11 ads on Sunday, showing off the Slofie feature in the hands of a pro snowboarder.

iPhone 11 capturing a Slofie on a snowboard
iPhone 11 capturing a Slofie on a snowboard

Slow motion Selfies, or Slofies, are one of Apple's newest features on the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro. Capable of capturing slow motion video at 1080p and 120fps, the iPhone can help you get a bit more creative with your selfies.

The first spot is called "Whiteout" and shows a professional snowboarder crashing through a snow drift using the front facing camera's slow-mode feature.

The second video "Backflip" is the same snowboarder performing a backflip in slow motion.

Apple coined the term "Slofie" and has since used it in all of its marketing. While you might not find yourself on a snowboard or at the other end of a hairdryer, Slofies are a fun, if not silly, capability of the new iPhones.

If you want to try your hand at making Slofies, check out AppleInsider's iPhone 11 Price Guide to find the best deal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    I prefer an Insta360 One R, a DJI MAVIC MINI or a EVO II. iPhone 11 Pro? Never!
  • Reply 2 of 10
  • Reply 3 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    ivanh said:
    Any relation to Dougd?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    iMore has a great article on this Apple Once Again Tries to Get Us to Use Slofies

They sum it up in the tl:dr section at the top
    • Apple has shared two YouTube videos reminding everyone slofies exist.
    • But we'd really rather forget it ever happened.
    • Really though, who uses this stuff?
    Because most of us are not pro snowboarders we won't be using them. I honestly feel by this time next year all mention of Slowfies will have disappeared from Apple's web site and literature. 
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I would love to be playing poker with Apple - they are making big bets, trying real hard to convince us they have something, but it’s obvious they’ve got nothing.  I wish they would drop this crap.

Not to blow things out of proportion - critique doesn’t extend to the OS or other Apple initiatives - just this ridiculous campaign to try to make sl@$!e (shudder) a thing.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    How many "slofie" commercials do we need? One (or zero) was enough, we get it....
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    ivanh said:

How do you fly Drones and work a camera while physically snowboarding? Is that possible? Hahaha You mention 2 models of Drone and a camera in your comment. I am wondering how a person uses these things for a selfie while snowboarding?

I agree the Slofie thing is silly ( Maybe not for younger kids ) but your comment confused me.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jcs2305 said:
    ivanh said:

How do you fly Drones and work a camera while physically snowboarding? Is that possible? Hahaha You mention 2 models of Drone and a camera in your comment. I am wondering how a person uses these things for a selfie while snowboarding?

I agree the Slofie thing is silly ( Maybe not for younger kids ) but your comment confused me.
    There are many drones that can autonomously follow a subject. Here’s the Mavic Mini he mentioned:

https://youtu.be/fWuBDM9uHOQ
  • Reply 9 of 10

DAalseth said:
    iMore has a great article on this Apple Once Again Tries to Get Us to Use Slofies

Because most of us are not pro snowboarders we won't be using them. I honestly feel by this time next year all mention of Slowfies will have disappeared from Apple's web site and literature. 
    People who complain vocally about features they won’t use forget there are other types of people out there. All this is, is an awareness campaign to let people know their new iPhones’ cameras have capabilities that they didn’t have before. There are tons of ways one could use this, and will. Hint: it’s not about snowboarding! Your lack of imagination does not apply to everyone. Pretending like it’s a useless feature because of this marketing push is myopic at best. 
    chasmdedgeckokurai_kagejony0
  • Reply 10 of 10
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member

DAalseth said:

People who complain vocally about features they won’t use forget there are other types of people out there. All this is, is an awareness campaign to let people know their new iPhones’ cameras have capabilities that they didn’t have before. There are tons of ways one could use this, and will. Hint: it’s not about snowboarding! Your lack of imagination does not apply to everyone. Pretending like it’s a useless feature because of this marketing push is myopic at best. 
    Exactly. What I like to say who say that Slofies is a dumb feature, go to Tik-Tok and Instagram and just do a search for #slofie.
    chasmfastasleepjony0