How to export your Apple Card monthly transactions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Users are now able to export their Apple Card monthly transactions, allowing them to import the data into third-party financial management apps.

Apple Card

One of the biggest complaints that users of the Apple Cardhave had is that there's no way to import their transaction history into third-party money management apps, such as Mint. There's a reason for this-- Apple's privacy policy. Apple is not too keen on third-party companies having access to your private financial data.

Starting January 21 with a gradual server-side rollout, Apple has a solution. While you still won't be able to give third-party apps direct access to your Apple Card transactions, you are able to manually export your transactions from the wallet app. Once exported, you can take that data wherever you'd like.
    To export your Apple Card transaction data:
  • Open the Wallet app.
  • Tap Card Balance.
  • Tap your desired monthly statement.
  • Tap Export Transactions
How to export your Apple Card monthly transactions

Once exported, you'll have a CSV -- comma separated value -- file, which can be imported into most money management apps, such as Mint and Quicken. Of course, you could also import that list into Numbers or Excel, if you want to go truly old school.

The caveat is that you can only export transactions from a full month. However, for those who rely on apps such as Mint or Quicken to maintain their budgets, it makes a big difference. It also proves that Apple has taken customers' concerns seriously and is willing to work to improve their experience.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    This is good news for some folks here at AI.  I remember seeing comments of people upset that they were not able to export their Apple Card data into Quicken and the like. I really like this card.. just wish it would match the cash back % of some other cards. I would like to make this my only card, but the cashback isn't there yet. Hopefully that will change as the service matures.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    About time....

It wasn't that you couldn't get the data, but it was previously only available as a PDF.   My attempts to then cut and paste the data from those PDF's in Excel/Numbers didn't work (except for the first (beta) month).   Which was infuriating.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    jcs2305 said:
    This is good news for some folks here at AI.  I remember seeing comments of people upset that they were not able to export their Apple Card data into Quicken and the like. I really like this card.. just wish it would match the cash back % of some other cards. I would like to make this my only card, but the cashback isn't there yet. Hopefully that will change as the service matures.
    You should be aware that the perks of "elite" cards are paid by someone -- in particular, the retailer whose product you purchased with the card (maybe you if the price is hiked because of the cost of the plastic). I spoke to one retailer and asked why they don't take American Express. He said he can't afford to pay for American Express customer's airline tickets. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    If you have all your Apple devices configured properly, exporting your statement to your Mac drops it in your download folder without any interaction. Once there they open almost perfectly in Numbers (amount column isn't designated as currency but easy and quick fix). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    larryjw said:
    jcs2305 said:
    You should be aware that the perks of "elite" cards are paid by someone -- in particular, the retailer whose product you purchased with the card (maybe you if the price is hiked because of the cost of the plastic). I spoke to one retailer and asked why they don't take American Express. He said he can't afford to pay for American Express customer's airline tickets. 
    Definitely.

I've posted about this before, but the number of middle-men in a credit card transaction is astonishing, and they all want part of the money changing hands. Merchant, terminal vendor, terminal network, card processor, card brand, issuing bank, backing bank ... The margins of any individual party between the merchant and the backing bank are razor-thin, so removing even one layer of middle-men can significantly improve profit or allow those margins to be redirected into things like cash back. For example, Walmart became their own credit card processor, which let them cut prices a tiny bit (or get a tiny bit more money where they didn't cut prices).

Otherwise, the rewards are paid pretty directly by the merchant. There's a reason nobody really offers more than about 2% without an annual membership fee.

He may be talking about the physical card, though. I certainly wish it had better cash back. Only 1% means I'm never going to use it unless my 2% card gets frozen due to fraud. With how nice the physical card is, that's a shame.

Would sure be great if Apple Card's existence got other companies to offer nicer physical cards instead of the same plastic ones we've all had for decades.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    larryjw said:
    You should be aware that the perks of "elite" cards are paid by someone -- in particular, the retailer whose product you purchased with the card
    This is the reason the U.S. is so behind other countries in cashless acceptance. Elsewhere, it costs the merchants nothing (China) or close to nothing (Europe) to accept debit cards. But most US merchants balk at paying a 50¢ transaction fee plus 3% for you to buy your $2 taco. 

People are so proud of the 2% they get back, seemingly unaware that prices have all been hiked at least 3% to pay for all this. 
    FileMakerFellerlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    I’m glad to see they finally made it possible to import transactions, but their stated excuse of ‘privacy’ leaves a lot to be desired. If I allow Quicken or another program to download transactions, I’m expressly giving the program permission to access my account info. It’s not like this is some secret, nefarious action done without my permission like Facebook or Google do, and while this works, it’s still a royal PITA compared to the seamless transaction download that virtually every other card on the market allows. On a similar vein, is it possible to download your statement on anything but your phone yet?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 20
    MplsP said:
    On a similar vein, is it possible to download your statement on anything but your phone yet?
    If you mean can you download to anything else from the iPhone, the answer is yes. You can Airdrop, Message, or email it from the Wallet app. I assume the same from an iPad, but don't have it hear to check. If you meant can you access the Wallet app etc. on your computer, the last answer I got from them was no.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    larryjw said:
    jcs2305 said:
    Actually it is the people who pay interest on the card who is paying for all the cash back incentives. Think about that, those paying interest are the one who can lease afford it and they somehow thinking getting some cash back some how helps. They are just getting back a small portion of the interest they pay, the rest of us who pay off their cards each month benefits.

Most cards charge retailers 2% to 5% to process the transaction, American Express being on that high side. Also do not think retailer are not passing this cost on to every purchase. They do have some control over the selling price of an item and they roll up all their operating costs into the overall cost of the purchases item not everyone takes it out of their profits. I use to only buy with cash or ATM card thinking this was somehow saving me money. Then someone clued be in about above and the fact I am still paying the higher cost of the others using their CC and I do not get to use someone else's money for 30 days. If someone is willing to give me a Cash discount I take it every time, is some time 10% to 20% they will know off their service just to avoid a CC or Check transaction.
    edited January 2020 lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20

Once exported, you'll have a CSV -- comma separated value -- file, which can be imported into most money management apps, such as Mint and Quicken. Of course, you could also import that list into Numbers or Excel, if you want to go truly old school.

The caveat is that you can only export transactions from a full month. However, for those who rely on apps such as Mint or Quicken to maintain their budgets, it makes a big difference. It also proves that Apple has taken customers' concerns seriously and is willing to work to improve their experience.
    Just to be clear Quicken does not support CSV file import in the latest version of Quicken, it is all subscription based and it has to be direct download to work. In the past Quicken only supported CSV, but you had to use a third party utility to convert it to the correct format before importing. I use to have to do this with my companies 401K, had to export all the transaction into a CSV file then run it through the converter, then import into Quicken, it was a complete mess with lots of chances of screwing it up manually deleting things and starting over again. Today, I am luck every financial institute I use support Quicken, I got rid of any CC which would not support quicken accept for my Apple card, I am hoping Apple will open it up to quicken.

lostkiwiGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I've posted before that Apple would eventually to allow exporting data to QB, etc. It happened sooner than I expected.

Now the whines of 'Boo Apple! Everybody else's card does this! WTF!' can now turn to 'About time Apple! WTF!' or the every popular 'It's a crap card anyway. I'll stick with my AMES Black! The rest of you can eat cake!'

Anyway I like the card, and I'm concerned about cash back, except that it's my default card for Apple Pay. I use it at restraints or anywhere my card goes away to be charged. 

It's app for tracking purchases and money owed, etc., is fast and efficient. Another feature I like is the notification on the phone for each charge made on the card. I especially appreciated this feature for items that may be back order or have a some delay in shipping. As most places don't charge until the order ships, getting the notification tells me it's shipped. Often I don't check my email for the confirmation until I have to wade through it. I've got a few cards, but I use this one the most.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    MplsP said:
    On a similar vein, is it possible to download your statement on anything but your phone yet?
    If you mean can you download to anything else from the iPhone, the answer is yes. You can Airdrop, Message, or email it from the Wallet app. I assume the same from an iPad, but don't have it hear to check. If you meant can you access the Wallet app etc. on your computer, the last answer I got from them was no.
    It was the latter I was thinking of. I keep copies of my credit card statements for my records, so for the Apple Card the process is go to the wallet app on your phone, download the statement, use some means to transfer it to your computer, then move it to the appropriate folder. Good that it's possible to do, but hardly a smooth workflow. :neutral: 

macgui said:
    I've posted before that Apple would eventually to allow exporting data to QB, etc. It happened sooner than I expected.

Now the whines of 'Boo Apple! Everybody else's card does this! WTF!' can now turn to 'About time Apple! WTF!' or the every popular 'It's a crap card anyway. I'll stick with my AMES Black! The rest of you can eat cake!'

Anyway I like the card, and I'm concerned about cash back, except that it's my default card for Apple Pay. I use it at restraints or anywhere my card goes away to be charged. 

It's app for tracking purchases and money owed, etc., is fast and efficient. Another feature I like is the notification on the phone for each charge made on the card. I especially appreciated this feature for items that may be back order or have a some delay in shipping. As most places don't charge until the order ships, getting the notification tells me it's shipped. Often I don't check my email for the confirmation until I have to wade through it. I've got a few cards, but I use this one the most.

See Maestro64's comment above - the Apple card still doesn't do what every other card does. It doesn't allow financial software to connect directly and it doesn't export data to a QIF or QFX file that financial software programs use to import. CSV data provides a workaround but it's still a clumsy, cumbersome process.
    edited January 2020 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 20
    MplsP said:

You can also download the csv statement to any folder within iCloud Drive from your iPhone .
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    maestro64 said:

Just to be clear Quicken does not support CSV file import in the latest version of Quicken,  ....

Yes, that is my understanding as well.  
    Plus,  even if I could use it, it does me no good to download a file to my iPhone if I need Quicken to access it on my financial laptop.  TomPMRI above pointed out that you could save it to iCloud Drive -- so that may provide a means for the Windows laptop to access it, but iCloud on the web is pretty cumbersome -- not a smooth way of doing it at all.  In fact, I am not aware of a way to download from iCloud Drive to a Windows laptop.

It may be possible for Mint and others to access file and use it.   But, to the best of my knowledge, all financial applications except for Quicken are strictly and only cloud based -- your financial data sits on a third party server instead of your own equipment.   I won't go there.  I try to minimize my exposure to hackers and that means keeping as much as I can on my own equipment.

Apple:   I think you can do better.

• Reply 15 of 20
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    maestro64 said:
    larryjw said:
    jcs2305 said:
    Actually it is the people who pay interest on the card who is paying for all the cash back incentives. Think about that, those paying interest are the one who can lease afford it and they somehow thinking getting some cash back some how helps. They are just getting back a small portion of the interest they pay, the rest of us who pay off their cards each month benefits.

Most cards charge retailers 2% to 5% to process the transaction, American Express being on that high side. Also do not think retailer are not passing this cost on to every purchase. They do have some control over the selling price of an item and they roll up all their operating costs into the overall cost of the purchases item not everyone takes it out of their profits. I use to only buy with cash or ATM card thinking this was somehow saving me money. Then someone clued be in about above and the fact I am still paying the higher cost of the others using their CC and I do not get to use someone else's money for 30 days. If someone is willing to give me a Cash discount I take it every time, is some time 10% to 20% they will know off their service just to avoid a CC or Check transaction.
    Most credit card processors explicitly forbid cash discounts in their terms of service. They require the merchant to charge everybody the same price for the same item. The goal is to hide the extra cost of credit transactions.

Yes, lots of merchants still offer such discounts (or go the other way and charge a credit card fee; this is also generally forbidden by card processor agreements). They get away with it because the card processors operate on very thin margins, so they can't really afford to check thoroughly.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 20
    zimmie said:
    maestro64 said:
    larryjw said:
    jcs2305 said:

Most credit card processors explicitly forbid cash discounts in their terms of service. They require the merchant to charge everybody the same price for the same item. The goal is to hide the extra cost of credit transactions.

Yes, lots of merchants still offer such discounts (or go the other way and charge a credit card fee; this is also generally forbidden by card processor agreements). They get away with it because the card processors operate on very thin margins, so they can't really afford to check thoroughly.
    I never saw a merchant CC processor T&C and I doubt most people have, however, I do not believe this language exist. I will give you one example that proves this. There are many gas stations across the country that offer a lower cost for cash verse CC. There are many gas stations which are mom and pop shops who offer this so its not like the big bad oil companies strong armed the CC processors to allow for cash discount. 

I'll give you a second example which is local to me, my corner bakery which uses Square to process its payment, say it will not process any CC for any than less than $15, they would only except cash, they also state if you pay cash for order over $15 they will give you a 5% discount. Also if the language did exist it would be an anti-trust case that any State AG would take up in a second.

My example was not about a retail chain, but I have seen in the past where a retail change would offer incentive to people not to use a CC, it was cash and carry. My example was for businesses that offer some sort of service not a product they buy and resell. Many time if you pay cash they be happy to give you a discount, why they do not have to wait 60 to 90 days to get their money from the CC companies.

Businesses are free to transact as they like and incentivize various payment methods as they see fit.
    edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20
    macgui said:

My Chase card does this, anytime I use Apple Pay with my Chase card I get a notification of the transactions completion on my phone or watch. I could have it send me notification for every transaction even card swipes, but that is over kill. Chase is really good about fraud, anytime it see any transaction is deems out of the ordinary it blocks the transaction sends me notice asking if I made this transaction and ask me to confirm whether to allow the transaction to go through.

For people like me who track their financial all in one place like Quicken, the Apple Card lack this very important integration. Beyond this the Apple card has no real advantage other than it being Apple. My chase app show me all the details apple shows, plus more like credit monitoring and credit score. they have paperless statements and rewards points plus they seamless integrate with financial software. Plus quicken mobile give me a complete overview of all my income and expense activities in one place the Apple card sits outside of this other seeing the full payment in quicken when it shows up.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 20
    maestro64 said:

Just to be clear Quicken does not support CSV file import in the latest version of Quicken,  ....

Yes, that is my understanding as well.  
    Plus,  even if I could use it, it does me no good to download a file to my iPhone if I need Quicken to access it on my financial laptop.  TomPMRI above pointed out that you could save it to iCloud Drive -- so that may provide a means for the Windows laptop to access it, but iCloud on the web is pretty cumbersome -- not a smooth way of doing it at all.  In fact, I am not aware of a way to download from iCloud Drive to a Windows laptop.

It may be possible for Mint and others to access file and use it.   But, to the best of my knowledge, all financial applications except for Quicken are strictly and only cloud based -- your financial data sits on a third party server instead of your own equipment.   I won't go there.  I try to minimize my exposure to hackers and that means keeping as much as I can on my own equipment.

Apple:   I think you can do better.

Last time I looked there were 3 main financial software packages for Mac - Quicken, Banktivity (formerly iBank) and Moneydance. All 3 offer non-cloud based options. Quicken is limited in that it does not allow syncing across computers (i.e. i have a desktop and a laptop. The only way to use quicken on both devices is to copy the data file locally, use it, save and close the app and then upload it again to icloud)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    zimmie said:
    maestro64 said:
    larryjw said:
    jcs2305 said:

Cash vs cards....
    I just started an interesting little experiment:  I just bought a wallet case for my iPhone that holds a credit card and my driver's license.  I will see how I do with just an iPhone, credit card and driver's license (plus my Apple Watch).   For most of my life I've been lugging a bunch of cards and cash.  Hopefully that lump in my pocket is a thing of the past.

And, hopefully, eventually I will be able to make do with just my Apple Watch.  Actually, except for the driver's license, I could probably do that now because I avoid places that do not take ApplePay anyway.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 20
    zimmie said:
    maestro64 said:
    larryjw said:
    jcs2305 said:

Cash vs cards....
    I just started an interesting little experiment:  I just bought a wallet case for my iPhone that holds a credit card and my driver's license.  I will see how I do with just an iPhone, credit card and driver's license (plus my Apple Watch).   For most of my life I've been lugging a bunch of cards and cash.  Hopefully that lump in my pocket is a thing of the past.

And, hopefully, eventually I will be able to make do with just my Apple Watch.  Actually, except for the driver's license, I could probably do that now because I avoid places that do not take ApplePay anyway.

I am almost there, there is only a few places today which I still need my CC the main one is restaurants. You still need your Plastic (Titanium) to pay you restaurant bill. I go to Canada all the time and all there restaurants bring the terminal to your table, but they do not support Apple Pay on those mobile POS terminals. I wonder if the US more to those mobile POS for restaurant.
    GeorgeBMac