Adobe Flash disabled in latest Safari Technology Preview

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    jd_in_sb said:
    Flash had its day. It was revolutionary but ultimately just an interim step to HTML5. Now if we could just get rid of JavaScript...
    Javascript is the standard programming language for the Web. It will NEVER go away. Without Javascript, we'd have virtually no interactive websites or "web applications." You can just disable it but you lose the "experience." 

Flash on the other hand deserves to die. It was never part of the Web standards.  
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    netrox said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    Flash had its day. It was revolutionary but ultimately just an interim step to HTML5. Now if we could just get rid of JavaScript...
    Javascript is the standard programming language for the Web. It will NEVER go away. Without Javascript, we'd have virtually no interactive websites or "web applications." You can just disable it but you lose the "experience." 

Flash on the other hand deserves to die. It was never part of the Web standards.  
    He probably confused it with Java, which I assume most but not all of us understand is not the same thing as Javascript.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    davidw said:
    jd_in_sb said:

Now this is from a consumer using the internet point of view and not that of a developer or software engineer, where there might be other issues with javascript.   
    Software engineer perspective: if a website has any level of interactivity at all, it needs to use JavaScript unfortunately.  HTML is essentially just the layout for the elements on the web page (i.e. where to put text, images, videos, etc).  And yes, I hate JavaScript as much as the next person.  It's a poorly designed, kitchen sink full of ideas.  Unsurprisingly, it's where the vast majority of browser security holes come from (just like Flash was).
    edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 26
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    gatorguy said:
    netrox said:
    jd_in_sb said:

He probably confused it with Java, which I assume most but not all of us understand is not the same thing as Javascript.
    Java is actually quite a nice language/technology to use for creating server side apps.  Just not web apps.  Really, shoehorning any medium-to-large sized app into a web browser, be it created with Java, Flash, or JavaScript, tends to lead to a mess.  HTML and browsers (which are essentially for displaying HTML documents) were never designed to be dynamic and interactive.  It's just software developers searching for the cross-platform holy grail who have hacked them to be that way.  That and companies looking to track everything you do on your computer.

Imagine if someone said: "Hey, I want to build this amazing video editing application!  I'm planning on building it all within Microsoft Word!  What do you think?"  That's akin to what a lot of web application developers are doing.
    edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 26
    I wonder if they simply deactivated it in the code or if they just removed the NPAPI completely in the TP now. So the end of Flash will also mark the end of NPAPI …
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 26
    tobiantobian Posts: 151member
    Sadly, there is no substitute to Flash runtime technology. Even though I agree with that - it had to die, there will be no way to make animation rich, playful interactive web apps, like Flash did. It's simply unachievable with current HTML5 tools. Remember 2advanced.com?