Apple working on radical iMac redesign using single sheet of glass

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Soli said:
    mattinoz said:
    DAalseth said:
    Before people freak out, this is a patent drawing. The drawing is for explanatory purposes only. IF, and I emphasize IF Apple came out with a system based on this concept, it would go through a lot of user testing and refinement. It would look almost nothing like the drawing in the patent application. 
    If history tells us anything radical Patents like this generally turn out to be for something new altogether than the device noted in the patent, that is if they turn up in anything at all.

Downgrades are a bit painful with that system though.
  • Reply 62 of 79
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,664member
    Just a parent for a cool idea whose time has not yet come. 

The new iMac won’t be like the figures shown here. 

But this way, apple gets to stop others from making it without getting royalties and bragging rights. 

• Reply 63 of 79
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    Ha Ha Ha……
    williamlondon
  • Reply 64 of 79
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    When I get excited about a new computer it is due to what can be done with it, not as much about how it looks. A new GPU architecture, AI features, a large number of CPU cores, built in cellular data, an edge to edge micro-led screen and so on. Sure it's great if the computer looks awesome, but design takes a back seat to functionality.
    So I guess you weren't a fan on the Jony Ive era where he thought it should look good first and then have functionality that was then limited by his design appearance first. 
  • Reply 65 of 79
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Why has this been resurrected?
    macplusplus9secondkox2FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 66 of 79
    crowley said:
    Becuase many people want more than a Leader (Marvel Villain) Mac Mini computer or a Laptop computer using the new SOC chips?
    edited July 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 67 of 79
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I wonder if there's some software to assist in writing patents.  I found the process tedious, but I was gratified that the patent attorney we retained to submit our patents asked me, after his first review, if I had been a patent attorney in a previous career.  Nope, just a high school grad, self-taught software engineer, graphical & U/X, business logic and database designer, technical writer, project manager, company cofounder, business analyst, and apparently, patent author. 

I can imagine some tools that would walk an engineer through the process of thoroughly covering all aspects of describing an invention and the process of deconstructing it into claims, along with a very good search engine overlay to vet the invention against prior art, compile references, etc.  Such must already exist, yes? 
  • Reply 68 of 79
    macxpress said:
    When I get excited about a new computer it is due to what can be done with it, not as much about how it looks. A new GPU architecture, AI features, a large number of CPU cores, built in cellular data, an edge to edge micro-led screen and so on. Sure it's great if the computer looks awesome, but design takes a back seat to functionality.
    So I guess you weren't a fan on the Jony Ive era where he thought it should look good first and then have functionality that was then limited by his design appearance first. 
    That era probably did not exist. 

Sure, there were some products that were designed around a tech roadmap that failed to materialize, but that’s not some intent on Ive’s part. It’s a failure of tech partners at that time. Hence Apple Silicon. 

Just because Ive could combine great function with terrific form does not mean he sacrificed one over the other. His Macs and other devices are renown for functionality as well as looking good while doing their thing. The two products or so that some haters like to point to are a much bigger story than Ive’s involvement. 
    danoxFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 69 of 79
    danox said:
    crowley said:
    Becuase many people want more than a Leader (Marvel Villain) Mac Mini computer or a Laptop computer using the new SOC chips?
    Leader with the big ol’ head?

LOL

Thats actually pretty funny. 
    danox
  • Reply 70 of 79
    I wonder if there's some software to assist in writing patents.  I found the process tedious, but I was gratified that the patent attorney we retained to submit our patents asked me, after his first review, if I had been a patent attorney in a previous career.  Nope, just a high school grad, self-taught software engineer, graphical & U/X, business logic and database designer, technical writer, project manager, company cofounder, business analyst, and apparently, patent author. 

I can imagine some tools that would walk an engineer through the process of thoroughly covering all aspects of describing an invention and the process of deconstructing it into claims, along with a very good search engine overlay to vet the invention against prior art, compile references, etc.  Such must already exist, yes? 
    It’s amazing to me how the self-taught end up being the innovators and the teachers of others. That’s some experience you have there. 

This Sounds like something you should create. 
  • Reply 71 of 79
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 612member
    Instead of a cracked screen, you now have a cracked computer.
    darkvaderwilliamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 72 of 79
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Still not height adjustable.

In five seconds I can conceive a better iMac and could release this year: same design as iMac but bit thicker to allow all ports in rear. Make stand height adjustable. Put MagSafe iPhone charger in the stand and allow 18W charging even when iMac is in sleep mode or fully shut down. Wired Apple Keyboard “Pro” with hub of ports for close by convenience.
    edited July 2022 darkvader
  • Reply 73 of 79
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    crowley said:

No clue.  This is one that was breathtakingly stupid the first time around, and now is still just as stupid.

No sane person wants a desktop computer with an attached keyboard.  Even if you think it looks cool (and it doesn't) it's going to be a service nightmare.  Keyboards attract drinks.  And now you don't just need a new keyboard.  Liquid spills destroy more laptops than any other cause.

At least with the Apple ][ the keyboard was high enough off the desk surface that spills were unlikely to get to it, and if they did it was far enough from the logic board that it would probably not destroy the computer - and it wasn't that hard to replace.  Knowing Apple's current bad design, they'd probably put the logic board under the keyboard to ensure maximum damage.
    williamlondon9secondkox2FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 74 of 79
    ireland said:
    Still not height adjustable.

In five seconds I can conceive a better iMac and could release this year: same design as iMac but bit thicker to allow all ports in rear. Make stand height adjustable. Put MagSafe iPhone charger in the stand and allow 18W charging even when iMac is in sleep mode or fully shut down. Wired Apple Keyboard “Pro” with hub of ports for close by convenience.
    32” XDR Monitor case.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    danox said:
    crowley said:
    Leader with the big ol’ head?

LOL

Thats actually pretty funny. 

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby….
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 76 of 79
    I am hoping the entire Mac would be embedded in glass, including the display and circuitry. Reminiscent of the original iMac but with a modern take. the ports would stick from the side. You would see the wiring and all. Of course no upgrade possible, which is where the consumer market is headed anyways. 
  • Reply 77 of 79
    Ughhh. No good! How in the world would anyone want a screen that close to the keyboard. The Mac Book is portable and one deals with it, but never in an iMac, a system. I'll just keep upgrading my old iMac if this new glass design as all that's available from Apple.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 78 of 79
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    Today is Monday, September 4, 2023.

This article was originally posted on January 24, 2020...

roundaboutnowfastasleep
  • Reply 79 of 79
    RIP anyone that wants to adjust their display or have recommended ergonomics