Apple releases macOS 10.15.3, iOS 13.3.1, iPadOS 13.3.1, tvOS 13.3.1, watchOS 6.1.2

Posted:
in iOS edited February 2020
Apple has released iOS 13.3.1, iPadOS 13.3.1, watchOS 6.1.2, macOS 10.15.3 Catalina and tvOS 13.3.1 to the public, with the latest versions offering bug fixes and performance improvements to iPhones and iPads as a smaller incremental release, rather than offering major new features.

Released on Tuesday, the update replaces the previous versions of the operating systems, iOS 13.3 and iPadOS 13.3, which shipped on December 10. Users can manually update their iPhone and iPad by accessing the Settings app then selecting General, then Software Update, followed by the option to install the update if it is made available to them.

Users with automatic updates enabled will be advised of when the update has been downloaded to their device, with a notification informing it is ready to be installed. The updates weigh in at 275.1 megabytes for iOS, and 181.7 megabytes for iPadOS.

For owners of the iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPad Air, iPad mini 2, and iPad mini 3, an update is also available that brings their iOS installations up to version 12.4.5.

The release arrives after a total of three beta cycles that took place throughout December and January. The most recent beta attempt was on January 22 for most of the operating systems, but January 24 for macOS Catalina.

While Apple declined to offer details of changes in the release notes for the betas, the incremental number change indicated the alterations would be small in stature, and not introduce new features.

The updates respectively contain:

iOS 13.3.1
  • Fixes an issue in Communication Limits that could allow a contact to be added without entering the Screen Time passcode.
  • Adds a setting to control the use of location services by the U1 Ultra Wideband chip.
  • Addresses an issue that could cause a momentary delay before editing a Deep Fusion photo taken on iPhone 11 or iPhone 11 Pro.
  • Resolves an issue with Mail that could cause remote images to load even when the "Load Remote Images" setting is disabled.
  • Fixes an issue that could cause multiple undo dialogs to appear in Mail
  • Addresses an issue where FaceTime could use the rear facing ultra-wide camera instead of the wide camera.
  • Resolves an issue where push notifications could fail to be delivered over Wi-Fi.
  • Addresses a CarPlay issue that could cause distorted sound when making phone calls in certain vehicles.
  • Introduces support for Indian English Siri voices for HomePod.
iPadOS 13.3.1
  • Fixes an issue in Communication Limits that could allow a contact to be added without entering the Screen Time passcode.
  • Addresses an issue with Mail that could cause remote images to load even when the "Load Remote Images" setting is disabled.
  • Fixes an issue that could cause multiple undo dialogs to appear in Mail.
  • Resolves an issue where push notifications could fail to be delivered over Wi-Fi.
  • Introduces support for Indian English Siri voices for HomePod.
macOS 10.15.3
  • Optimized gamma handling of low gray levels on Pro Display XDR for SDR workflows when using macOS
  • Improves multi-stream video editing performance for HEVC and H.264 encoded 4K video on the 16-inch MacBook Pro
watchOS 6.1.2
  • This update provides important security updates and is recommended for all users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Downloading to all of my Apple devices shortly.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Think I’ll hold off for a week and let the adventurous go first.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Always interesting that after there’s an OS update there’s usually a slew of app updates. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 4 of 24
    iOS/HomePod/iTunesMatch bug hasn't yet been solved by engineering [reported to Apple engineers about 3 weeks ago].

Bug: With an iTunes Match subscription (not Apple Music subscription) and HomePod set to recognize your voice, Siri is unable to access music in the iCloud Music Library. Example: requesting Siri play anything in your iCloud Music Library results in Siri stating the music is not in your library.

Temporary work-around: Turn off "Recognize My Voice" in the Home app on your iOS device. Siri will then be able access all your music in the iCloud Music Library.
    emoellergregoriusmrazorpitdoozydozendysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 24
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I wish Apple, despite all of it security features, would recommend one or more security programs such as Malwarebytes or Norton.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    All updated OK:without issues

3 Apple TV's
    2 iPads
    1 iPhone 
    1 Apple Watch 
    1 iMac (running Mojave so there were just Safari and security updates)
    2 MacBook Pros
    2 HomePods

caladanian
  • Reply 7 of 24
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    bluefire1 said:
    I wish Apple, despite all of it security features, would recommend one or more security programs such as Malwarebytes or Norton.
    Recommend them for what? They are worse than worthless for non-business users on macOS. At least on iOS, they aren't actively harmful, but they also couldn't do anything meaningful.
    mdriftmeyerElCapitanMacProdocno42redgeminiparazorpitdoozydozendysamoria
  • Reply 8 of 24
    emoeller said:
    All updated OK:without issues

3 Apple TV's
    2 iPads
    1 iPhone 
    1 Apple Watch 
    1 iMac (running Mojave so there were just Safari and security updates)
    2 MacBook Pros
    2 HomePods

All this and what should be a tremendous quarterly report.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    bluefire1 said:
    Norton? What decade is this? 
    ElCapitancaliban11docno42redgeminiparazorpitdoozydozendysamoria
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    bluefire1 said:
    Apple isn't in the habit of recommending malware that slows your system to a crawl and sifts through your personal data.
    docno42redgeminiparazorpitdoozydozendysamoria
  • Reply 11 of 24
    The combo update page (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2030?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) links to 10.15.2. Waiting for an update...
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Updated today and for the first time since updating my HomePods to iOS 13, mine are accessing my iTunes matched playlists. 

hcrefugee said:
    iOS/HomePod/iTunesMatch bug hasn't yet been solved by engineering [reported to Apple engineers about 3 weeks ago].

Bug: With an iTunes Match subscription (not Apple Music subscription) and HomePod set to recognize your voice, Siri is unable to access music in the iCloud Music Library. Example: requesting Siri play anything in your iCloud Music Library results in Siri stating the music is not in your library.

Temporary work-around: Turn off "Recognize My Voice" in the Home app on your iOS device. Siri will then be able access all your music in the iCloud Music Library.

• Reply 13 of 24
    Had a problem with a MacOS update for the first time in a long time. Apparently this update wasn't compatible with my SoftRAID enabled OWC 4 Thunderbolt disk array.

After the Mac continued the install after the first reboot, it just kept on rebooting. Sometimes updates will reboot a couple of times in a row so I didn't think much of it until I noticed that it was still rebooting a few minutes later. I pulled the Thunderbolt connection and then the update continued normally. After the install was completed, I had to reinstall the SoftRAID drivers and then I could plug in my RAID again and reboot normally.

Update problems are so rare for me that I forgot what kind of heartbeat elevation can occur with an install problem.
    edited January 2020 ca_mac_minirazorpitdysamoria
  • Reply 14 of 24
    hcrefugee said:

You updated and tried it already? Just because it isn't in the release notes doesn't mean it is not fixed. BTW, I reported back in early December to support.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Also Security and Safari updates for 10.14.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    hcrefugee said:

You updated and tried it already? Just because it isn't in the release notes doesn't mean it is not fixed. BTW, I reported back in early December to support.
    Of course. Updated and tested before posting. Bug is still present.
    razorpitdysamoria
  • Reply 17 of 24
    My macbook pro 2019 16" has had its performance halved with the 10.15.3 update.

With 10.15.2 & below, the macbook pro 2019 16" was constantly freezing & force restarting when doing intensive tasks:

A lot of users suspect there has been a bad batch from apple, and instead of issuing these high paying customers with replacements, they have applied a performance throttle to the faulty batch.

My bottom of the line macbook 2016 13" and mid range iMac 2015 27" now outperform my macbook pro 2019 16" rendering the exact same projects. This is daylight robbery.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 18 of 24
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    philux said:
    My macbook pro 2019 16" has had its performance halved with the 10.15.3 update.

With 10.15.2 & below, the macbook pro 2019 16" was constantly freezing & force restarting when doing intensive tasks:

A lot of users suspect there has been a bad batch from apple, and instead of issuing these high paying customers with replacements, they have applied a performance throttle to the faulty batch.

My bottom of the line macbook 2016 13" and mid range iMac 2015 27" now outperform my macbook pro 2019 16" rendering the exact same projects. This is daylight robbery.
    Interesting. Let us know what Apple did to fix it after you call support.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    The combo update page (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2030?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) links to 10.15.2. Waiting for an update...

Fixed. It's the combo update for 10.15.3 now.

• Reply 20 of 24
    Scrolling is sooo much more smooth with this update.