Apple TV+ set to buy 1980s dramedy with 'Damages' and 'X-Men' star Rose Bryne

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2020
Industry reports say Apple is close to ordering "Physical," a new series, set in 1980s Southern California and starring Rose Byrne as a housewife who turns to aerobics for success.

Rose Byrne in
Rose Byrne in "The Turning" (source: Robert Connolly)

Rose Byrne is returning to star in series television for the first time since "Damages" in 2012, as Apple TV+ is reported to be about to greenlight the drama/comedy "Physical." The show follows a struggling housewife in 1980s Southern California, who achieves success through aerobics.

According to Deadline magazine, "Physical" is created by Annie Weisman, most recently known for Fox's new drama, "Almost Family."

The series is to be executive produced by Alexandra Cunningham, who worked with Annie Weisman on "Dangerous Housewives."

"Physical" is also an example of the kind of complex deals that are normal in television. If reports are correct, then Apple TV+ will be buying a show that is made via a development deal between the Fabrication production company and Tomorrow Studios -- which is itself a partnership between producer Marty Adelstein and the UK's ITV Studios.

Fabrication is the production company run by Alexandra Cunningham with Sera Gamble and John McNamara, who will also executive produce the new series. Between them, these producers have worked on shows ranging from "Leverage" to "Supernatural," and the previously collaborated together on NBC's "Aquarius."

Star Rose Byrne is chiefly known for her television work on "Damages," but she has also appeared in both X-Men: First Class and X-Men: Apocalypse.

While Deadline has not confirmed the "Physical" deal, and Apple has not yet commented, the new deal would be just one of very many that the Apple TV+ service has been pursuing. That includes recent discussions about Apple considering a deal to potentially acquire MGM.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Wow, Apple is just knocking it out of the park with such interesting shows....        :s
    SpamSandwichtrashman69
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Ar40Ar40 Posts: 10member
    razorpit said:
    Wow, Apple is just knocking it out of the park with such interesting shows....        :s
    Yes. They are.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    No, really, what's the second part of the pitch they gave. There must be more than this. She goes under-yoga mat to solve murders. She is really a CIA operative. She operates a combination jazzaercise studio with comedy club called Giggles And Jiggles.

Whatever, this is a very "Cali" concept Apple is buying. Not sure if even Rose Byrne can help this.
    trashman69
  • Reply 4 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    razorpit said:
    Yes, because a show starring a woman is apparently not interesting or is a problem for you? Seems to be a reoccuring theme in your posts. Not a good look.

As for the pitch or more details, we simply don't have them, other than to know it's a show starring Byrne. Impossible to declare it sucks, as the only thing we know is it's a show starring a woman in California.
    edited January 2020 minicoffeefastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I assume (based on basically nothing) that it would be like Desperate Housewives or that ilk. Success or failure is determined more by the chemistry of the characters and the quality of the writing than the setting or theme. What was the pitch for "This is Us"? I'm sure that was pretty mundane and that show is one of the biggest hits of network television.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Hmm... OK..
  • Reply 7 of 12
    The actress’s name is misspelled in the headline, but correct in the main text.
    sanswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Uh oh. I can imagine this being a hit with women of a certain age, who will on mass join gyms featuring jazzercise classes, which they will attend wearing their old hi cut g string leotards and flouro leg warmers they have dug out of the bottom drawer.
    The show itself will have regular special guest appearances of Olivia Newton John’s daughter, appearing as her mother.*

Let’s  get physical, physical, let’s get physical!

* her father spends his time in the den with this new tangled thing called a macintosh playing Daleks all day. He is happy.

edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    StrangeDays said:
    Yes, because a show starring a woman is apparently not interesting or is a problem for you? Seems to be a reoccuring theme in your posts. Not a good look.

As for the pitch or more details, we simply don't have them, other than to know it's a show starring Byrne. Impossible to declare it sucks, as the only thing we know is it's a show starring a woman in California.
    Well, I'm not sure his comment was all that misogynistic, altho I don't follow his post history.

To me, it speaks of an Apple PR department failure, i.e. not enough description of a future show to trigger much interest. Missed opportunity for a product (ATV+) that lags a long way back from other streamers as it is--and I really like most of their shows. 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    13485 said:
    StrangeDays said:

Well, I'm not sure his comment was all that misogynistic, altho I don't follow his post history.

To me, it speaks of an Apple PR department failure, i.e. not enough description of a future show to trigger much interest. Missed opportunity for a product (ATV+) that lags a long way back from other streamers as it is--and I really like most of their shows. 
    Apple hasn't even acquired it yet. FTFA (in the first sentence even): "Industry reports say Apple is close to ordering...". PR failure for not announcing a show they haven't even officially bought yet? JFC.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    13485 said:
    StrangeDays said:

Apple hasn't even acquired it yet. FTFA (in the first sentence even): "Industry reports say Apple is close to ordering...". PR failure for not announcing a show they haven't even officially bought yet? JFC.

There are so many folks on here convinced that every move Apple makes with ATV+ will be a failure. Using a decade old service ( Netflix ) as the measure. Like the post you commented on.. doesn't matter that the show isn't even purchased yet.. facts don't matter. Apple's PR department is a failure ..umm what? and ATV+ lags a long way back from other streamers.. the shit is unreal hahaha wow... 

They act as if Amazon and Netflix are just FILLED with nothing but amazing programming ( they aren't ) and after 2 months ATV+ is a complete failure.  It's comical now.. I read the comments just to see what people come up with. I haven't even really watched ATV+ since getting my phone and activating my free year.. I think I need to now so I can see how horrible things really are ... B)
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    razorpit said:

Maybe he doesn’t like aerobics. Or Southern California. Or 80’s culture. Or Rose Byrne. Why would you automatically pull out the misogyny card? It’s impossible to declare, as the only thing we know is that it’s a show that he has no interest in. 

Your incessant attacks on everyone in this forum that don’t conform to your way of thinking is growing tiresome.