Apple TV+ to sign 'SNL' star Cecily Strong for musical comedy

Posted:
in General Discussion
The creators of "Despicable Me" are reportedly close to signing a deal with Apple TV+ to produce a musical comedy starring "Saturday Night Live" regular Cecily Strong.

Cecily Strong on
Cecily Strong on "Saturday Night Live"

Apple TV+ is reportedly about to add musical comedy to its slate, if industry sources are correct that it will sign Cecily Strong to an as-yet-untitled new series.

The unnamed show is created by Cinco Paul and Ken Daurio, who are together best known for writing the three "Despicable Me" films.

According to Variety, the comedy will be set in a magical town called Schmigadoon. A couple hope their backpacking vacation will bring them closer together, but instead traps them in this town where everyone behaves as if they;'re in a 1940s movie musical. The only way to get out of the town is to find true love.

There's no more indication of cast, but star as well as being best known for "Saturday Night Live," Cecily Strong has appeared in films such as the 2016 version of "Ghostbusters," plus television comedies including "Superstore."

Strong will also be a producer on the series, while Cinco Paul will be the showrunner. The series is backed by executive producers including Lorne Michaels, who has famously created "SNL."

Apple has yet to comment, but Hollywood industry sources have recently been announcing signings with Apple TV+ including "Physical," a 1980s-set dramedy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Apple TV+ is become a haven for all the WOKE, Me too, etc...type shows!  It will interesting if Apple corporate will release viewership numbers or will it be like CBS Access and just stay all their shows are # one!  Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Picard have the same storyline believe it or not; it a dig on President Trump and on traditional Star Trek’s fan base! Neither of them are welcome in the new CBS Access Star Trek universe.
    edited January 2020 chemengin1holmstockd
  • Reply 2 of 13
     Yawn

• Reply 3 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    Apple TV+ is become a haven for all the WOKE, Me too, etc...type shows!  It will interesting if Apple corporate will release viewership numbers or will it be like CBS Access and just stay all their shows are # one!  Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Picard have the same storyline believe it or not; it a dig on President Trump and on traditional Star Trek’s fan base! Neither of them are welcome in the new CBS Access Star Trek universe.
    Huh?! How does a yet unnamed comedic show about a magical town where everything is out of a 1940's musical some "WOKE, Me too, etc… type shows!" agenda? Is it because it'll star a woman? Does it really bother you that women get cast in leading roles?
    jony0lolliverms6_boostfastasleepbaconstangroundaboutnowStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Soli said:
    Huh?! How does a yet unnamed comedic show about a magical town where everything is out of a 1940's musical some "WOKE, Me too, etc… type shows!" agenda? Is it because it'll star a woman? Does it really bother you that women get cast in leading roles?
    Probably wondering how she made it so far from the kitchen.

Just sad they're that scared.
    SolibaconstangStrangeDaysSpamSandwich
  • Reply 5 of 13
     Yawn

Predictably lazy sexist takes from the resident CHUDs in this forum with any post on a new TV property with a female lead. Yawn, yourselves. Your blatant misogyny is tiring. 
    SolibaconstangroundaboutnowStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I'm excited. 

As a big fan of Cecily Strong, I'm grateful, again, to Apple for recognizing talent.

Soliroundaboutnowbaconstang
  • Reply 7 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,267member
    ms6_boost said:
    Soli said:

Well to be fair the OP said nothing about his views on women, so let’s not pile on a straw’man’ here, and truth be told Star Trek Discovery really was a travesty trashing all over TOS.

As for this comedian, never seen her, sounds like an interesting premise. Putting musicals in a otherwise real situation could be a funny gag for at least three episodes.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 8 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,050member
    Hate to break it to ya buddy, but Star Trek TOS was woke before there was woke. Roddenberry was a SJW and TOS had the first interracial onscreen kiss, controversial with your sort at the time. 

Sounds like you’re no true Trekkie. (When did Gamergate types take claim ownership of all sci-fi? Nuts)
    baconstang
  • Reply 9 of 13

Soli said:
    I make predictions before reading the comments on these articles and am right every time — the AI mouth breathers show up anytime a woman, minority, or gay is featured. Can you imagine the distress they must experience when being put off by at least 50% of the population? It’s a woman, big deal bros. Get out of the basement and meet people. It’s a pretty planet out here. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 10 of 13
     Yawn

Predictably lazy sexist takes from the resident CHUDs in this forum with any post on a new TV property with a female lead. Yawn, yourselves. Your blatant misogyny is tiring. 
    If I were mod I’d ban these troglodytes back to the stone era they transported in from. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 11 of 13
    entropys said:
    ms6_boost said:
    Soli said:

Well to be fair the OP said nothing about his views on women, so let’s not pile on a straw’man’ here, and truth be told Star Trek Discovery really was a travesty trashing all over TOS.
    Subjective opinion. We really enjoyed Discovery and had no problems with an assertive black female lead. The only thing that bothered me is JJ Abrams absurd use of lens flare. You should
    rewatch TOS, you may be surprised how bad so many of them were. I enjoyed the way the brought back some familiar characters. 

And yes; the OP absolutely did state his opinion on women, when he suggested this was woke and me too because woman star. Dur. 
    edited February 2020 Solifastasleep
  • Reply 12 of 13
     Yawn

Guy - relax...there are no Misogynists here...  Take it easy.  You guys should stop freaking out over any critical comments.  You sound like a bunch of swj Antifa weirdos with blue hair.  Apple TV+ Is focused on a certain demographic (middle aged to retired old women with high estrogen levels.) And If you want a very limited subscription base - then there is nothing wrong with that.     

Now go make me a sandwich.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 13 of 13
    entropys said:

As for this comedian, never seen her...
    You should watch Saturday Night Live sometime. Have you heard of it?