Apple's iPad extends global market lead thanks to affordable 10.2-inch model

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2020
Apple extended its lead over the global tablet sector in the fourth quarter of 2019, according to fresh statistics from research firm IDC, with the company gobbling up 36.5% of the market on strong demand for the new 10.2-inch iPad.

IDC Tablet 2019

Apple's latest 10.2-inch iPad variant, released in September as an affordable alternative to iPad Pro, accounted for 65% of 15.9 million total iPad shipments during the three months ending in December, IDC estimates.

The tech giant maintained its dominant position during the important holiday quarter with a 36.5% marketshare, up 22.7% from 12.9 million shipments and a 29.6% share notched in the year ago quarter. Full-year metrics reveal similar results, with Apple taking 34.6% of the market on shipments of 49.9 million iPads, up 15.2% from a 43.3% marketshare on 43.3 million units shipped in 2018.

Apple's success comes as the wider industry contracts. Slate tablet shipments fell 79.3% to hit an all-time low during the last quarter of 2019, while full-year tablet shipments shrunk 1.5% year-over-year.

Samsung trailed Apple in quarter four with 7 million units shipped for a 16.1% share of the market, down 7.4% from 7.6 million shipments and a 17.3% marketshare in the same period last year. The Korean tech titan shipped 21.7 million units across 2019, down 7.2% from the year prior.

Huawei and Amazon placed third and fourth, respectively, on shipments of 4 million and 3.3 million units. While Huawei experienced a slight 2.8% slowdown in growth year-over-year, Amazon suffered a massive 29% downturn over the same period. Despite dismal holiday sales, Amazon was the only company aside from Apple to exhibit growth during a tough 2019.

Lenovo rounded out the top five with 2.5 million units shipped to capture 5.8% of the market during quarter four, up 8.3% year-over-year. Whole year sales dipped 4.3% from 8.8 million to 8.5 million, consistent with industry trends.

Apple is expected to release refreshed iPad Pro iterations in the first half of 2020, with rumors suggesting the platform will introduce an all-new rear-facing 3D sensor to bolster augmented reality applications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    So, is the Microsoft Surface buried in the "Others" category?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    TomPMRI said:
    So, is the Microsoft Surface buried in the "Others" category?
    Probably so sense the PC crowd could never spend more than a $1000 or so for a computer. The Surface is aimed at the elusive customer who recognizes that it is not a $400 computer. 
    TomPMRIwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Apple is killing it! 

22.7% up, while just about everybody else is in a steep decline.

It's good that Apple offers the budget model 10.2 iPad.

There's an iPad available for all people and all budgets. From the cheaply priced 10.2, all the way up to a maxed out iPad Pro.

I recently bought an iPad Air to give to somebody as a present, which falls right in the middle, between the 10.2 and the Pro.

Who the hell would spend money on one of the crap tablets from somebody else when they can just get an iPad?

The few people buying Android tablets are not very smart people, I don't care how little they paid for them. Being poor is no excuse for ignorance. It's just a bad purchase, no matter how you cut, slice and dice it. The tablet eco-system on Android is virtually non-existent, the hardware is garbage and the devices will have a much shorter lifespan than any iPad. Perhaps that's why many poor people remain poor, they're not known to make wise financial decisions.
    edited February 2020 razorpitpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    apple ][ said:
    Apple is killing it! 

There's an iPad available for all people and all budgets. From the cheaply priced 10.2, all the way up to a maxed out iPad Pro.

I recently bought an iPad Air to give to somebody as a present, which falls right in the middle, between the 10.2 and the Pro.

Who the hell would spend money on one of the crap tablets from somebody else when they can just get an iPad?

The few people buying Android tablets are not very smart people, I don't care how little they paid for them. Being poor is no excuse for ignorance. It's just a bad purchase, no matter how you cut, slice and dice it. The tablet eco-system on Android is virtually non-existent, the hardware is garbage and the devices will have a much shorter lifespan than any iPad. Perhaps that's why many poor people remain poor, they're not known to make wise financial decisions.
    You're comments regarding Android tablets are based on what YOU think people do with them.  I think I am very smart for paying $25-30 for a cheap Amazon tablet to use as remote controllers around the house for my Sonos system.  I have a friend that uses them to control his saltwater aquarium water treatment system in his home.  The Amazon Fire10 tablet can be had (every now and then) for $80.  It makes an EXCELLENT media viewer to stream from my Plex media server when traveling and is not junk.  I can even expand it with a microSD card (something you can never do with Apple).  I agree that none of the Android tablets can compare to the iPad, but to say that buying a low cost android tablet is "just a bad purchase" is a narrow minded opinion since you have no idea what the use is.

Oh, and yes, I also have a 3rd Gen iPad Pro 12.9.  Each device serves its purpose!
    edited February 2020 revenantcaladanianmuthuk_vanalingamMacPro
  • Reply 5 of 14
    apple ][ said:
    Apple is killing it! 

Hate to see the word “cheap” used in any reference to Apple products. Least expensive is more appropriate.  
    MisterKitrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I wonder how many of Samsung’s shipped tablets end up as giveaways?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    ITGUYINSD said:
    You're comments regarding Android tablets are based on what YOU think people do with them.  I think I am very smart for paying $25-30 for a cheap Amazon tablet to use as remote controllers around the house for my Sonos system.  I have a friend that uses them to control his saltwater aquarium water treatment system in his home.  The Amazon Fire10 tablet can be had (every now and then) for $80.  It makes an EXCELLENT media viewer to stream from my Plex media server when traveling and is not junk.  I can even expand it with a microSD card (something you can never do with Apple).  I agree that none of the Android tablets can compare to the iPad, but to say that buying a low cost android tablet is "just a bad purchase" is a narrow minded opinion since you have no idea what the use is.

Oh, and yes, I also have a 3rd Gen iPad Pro 12.9.  Each device serves its purpose!
    My opinions are of course just my opinions. If a small handful of people are happy with their Android tablets for whatever reason or if they are using it for a single application like as a remote control, then good for them.

Why would you view media on an Amazon tablet when you have an iPad Pro?

Do you not notice the difference in display quality, colors and smoothness? Are the streams you are watching very poor/low quality, low bitrate?

I don't have any fish, but if I did, I wouldn't trust them to any Android tablet, but that's just me. 
    StrangeDaysrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    apple ][ said:
    Apple is killing it! 

Hate to see the word “cheap” used in any reference to Apple products. Least expensive is more appropriate.  
    I know what you mean, but I did write "cheaply priced", not cheap.

When I bought my iPad Pro a while back, I was very happy with the price I paid and I would say that I got it for cheap! That doesn't mean that an iPad Pro is a cheap product of course.

I guess that's just the way I talk or write, especially when talking about items on sale, regardless of their cost.

If I saved 10% on a million dollar house purchase, then I'd also say that I got the house for cheap.
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Great news, iPads are great devices. Just imagine what share iPhones and Macs would have if they were more reasonably priced. 
    caladanian
  • Reply 10 of 14
    The 10.2” model is indeed a bargain. Even more so when they are on sale for $249. I am typing on one right now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    elijahg said:
    Great news, iPads are great devices. Just imagine what share iPhones and Macs would have if they were more reasonably priced. 
    They’re quite reasonably priced. Oh, you meant you wanted the top-tier offerings for entry-level prices, huh? Yeah no. The price of today’s macs blows away that of yesteryear especially when you account for inflation. And there are iPhones of many tiers, but they’re all still better than the sum of all the devices they’ve replaced in one. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Yup, I'm just waiting for the new iPad Pro 12.9" equivalent to drop.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    apple ][ said:
    ITGUYINSD said:

... I don't have any fish, but if I did, I wouldn't trust them to any Android tablet, but that's just me. 
    Lol, that’s the best thing I’ve read today...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    elijahg said:
    They’re quite reasonably priced. Oh, you meant you wanted the top-tier offerings for entry-level prices, huh? Yeah no. The price of today’s macs blows away that of yesteryear especially when you account for inflation. And there are iPhones of many tiers, but they’re all still better than the sum of all the devices they’ve replaced in one. 
    Ah right paying 4x the market rate for RAM and 2x the rate for SSD space is good value? Paying £1000 for a phone that is 3x the price of an Android phone but has 90% of the same features (minus privacy, of course) is good value too? Sorry I must somehow have completely misunderstood what "value" means.

Oh wait, no I haven't. Macs and iPhones are not good value any more. When do you define yesteryear? 20 years ago? Because 10 years ago Macs were better value than now. You realise no one pays any attention to you @StrangeDays, your head is so far up Apple's ass you're no better than a troll.
    edited February 2020 canukstorm