Catalina flaw

Posted:
in macOS
I upgraded from Mojave to Catalina today.  Unfortunately, this name appears across the screen - in large type -and I haven't found a way to delete it

(3)/system/library/desktop pictures/catalina night.heic

I've tried other desktop pictures, but they all have their names across most of the screen.  Does anyone know how to delete it?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Haven't seen this one. Seems like a missing file.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    macgizmomacgizmo Posts: 102member
    Open Terminal app and type the following:

defaults write com.apple.dock desktop-picture-show-debug-text -bool FALSE;killall Dock

OR

Download Onyx (awesome free utility). There is a checkbox to toggle this feature on and off.

My apologies if this is a duplicate post. I typed a response to this earlier but it still hasn't appeared in this thread).
  • Reply 3 of 3
    macgizmomacgizmo Posts: 102member
    That's actually a hidden feature. Virtually nobody can accidentally activate it, so I have no idea how you managed to do it (or maybe it was a random glitch during the upgrade process). But that's not important at this point. You can fix this in one of two ways.

The Easy Way:
    Download a free app called Onyx, click the Parameters Icon at the top, then select the General Tab. You'll see the "Show the location path of the current desktop picture on the desktop" item. Uncheck it (or check then uncheck it if it isn't checked).

The Easier Way:
    Open Terminal app, type the following and hit return at the end.
    defaults write com.apple.dock desktop-picture-show-debug-text -bool FALSE;killall Dock

This should do the trick.