Apple under fire for onerous independent third-party repair terms

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    DAalseth said:
    Right to repair advocates won’t be happy until every mellonhead with a screwdriver gets to try to fix Apple products with Apple on the hook for warranty replacement if they accidentally drop their Coke into the system while it’s running.
    I've never seen a right to repair advocate express any expectation that the OEM is on the hook for a warranty replacement.  But just so you know, 3rd party repair does not automatically void the warranty.  That would be illegal. Magnuson-Moss. Certain conditions have to be met for that 3rd party repair voids a warranty.
    I stand by my statement. I have read articles her and elsewhere, and talked to RTR supporters in person. A regular opinion is that Apple, and other manufacturers should be forced to provide anyone including the owner with manuals, instructions, and parts. Anyone at all regardless of skill should be given whatever they want or need to try. If the device is damaged, or the battery shorts, well, then the manufacturer needed to design it better. That’s what some have told me to my face.

I will only take my computer or device to Apple or an Apple authorized repair station. Anyone else is Russian Roulette.
    DancingMonkeys
  • Reply 22 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    For all those defending Apple here, you know nothing of us 3rd party repair businesses. This program was supposed to FINALLY be Apple working WITH us to ensure customers were had options and where properly taken care of. It was SUPPOSED to provide us the OPTION of providing customers original OEM parts as well as maintaining our various options such as 3rd party parts.

It was never going to allow us to provide warranty care, it was never intended to make us into an Authorized Apple Repair facility, it was supposed to give us options that only helped Apple and their customers.

Being able to access custom tools wasn't a big thing as they are readily available everywhere, but having access to genuine software tools is a boon, and only helps customers in the end.

This clauses basically strip EVERYTHING this program was supposed to be. As stated in the contact, even though we are supposed to be independent, we aren't allowed to provide 3rd party parts... which is how this industry works, period. Having to provide records of customers is a privacy violation, and fines for doing what we do? Come on!

I myself have 25 years repairing Apple equipment, I've been an Apple Certified Tech, I've worked at a number of dealerships, I've OWNED my own Value Added Dealership... I know how suffocating Apples rules can be... and this is no different.

I chose to open a 3rd party repair place because of those oppressive rules, it allows me to serve customers in much better ways then Apple does. Don't get me wrong... I tell all customers under warranty to go to Apple, I'm upfront to customers about their choice using 3rd party parts.

But, being able to repair 10-12 year old computers and devices, replace screens for customers that were denied by Apple because of a dent in the case, makes me very happy, and allows me to provide the proper level of customer support.

Great example, a year ago, a custom walked in with a 20 minute old iPhone 8... his SIM card go stuck in the phone... Apple refused to do anything about it, gave him the option of a $800 replacement for his 10 minute old phone. I opened it, popped out the SIM card inside of 5 minutes....

THAT is the kind of customer service Apple is trying to prevent companies like mind from doing!

www.thestemsupport.com
    Rick Gold - Owner

Thanks, that was insightful and you made some solid points.
    As for the example:  Yeh, that sucked.   My experience with Apple Stores and odd ball situations is:  If you talk to 5 Apple people you get 5 different answers.  I would have come back the next day and tried again with somebody else who (hopefully) wasn't being an asshole.   The problem particularly happens when you ask one of their sales people instead of a technician.   The technicians tend to be a lot more responsive while the sales people just want to sell stuff.   I was hopeful that that nonsense would have changed whenever Arhends left (or was fired) and maybe it has, but not by a lot (or enough).   My last trip in there I ended up educating one of their sales people on Apple's extended AppleCare+ program -- initially he swore I was wrong but ended up apologizing and thanking me (he was the exception -- usually they won't ever admit being wrong and instead talk down to you -- particularly if you have grey hair).
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 25
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    This is almost a non-story. Bring a copy of this article to any shop that does independent but AUTHORIZED repairs for pretty much any brand and you will find either the same or worse.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 24 of 25
    LeoMCLeoMC Posts: 102member
    For all those defending Apple here, you know nothing of...
    Most of the people that commented couldn't care less about Apple, they care about themselves.
    Just like we don't care about Apple, we don't care about you - 3rd party repair shops - and what this program was supposed to do for you.
    I understand your point of view but the customer interest outweigh it.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    There sure are a lot of people who afraid of my breaking my warranty (which I don’t have), extremely concerned for my safety, and outright worried sick I might fix something for lower cost than Apple would.