Apple TV app, AirPlay 2 to gain Dolby Atmos support on LG TVs in 2020

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Apple TV app released to select 2019 LG smart TVs in early February -- but it launched without support for Dolby Atmos. Now, LG has announced that support is coming in 2020.

Apple TV app, AirPlay to gain Dolby Atmos support on LG TVs in 2020

On February 3, LG announced owners of compatible televisions can access the Apple TV app and corresponding streaming service via the LG Home Launcher.

LG was the first partner to offer Dolby Vision streaming from within the Apple TV app, but Dolby Atmos support was missing. When asked, the company confirmed that it had support in the works.

"Support for Dolby Atmos will be coming later this year," LG told FlatpanelsHD, referring to both the Apple TV app and AirPlay 2.

No specific dates were given, so it's anyone's guess as to when the support will finally roll out. It's also unknown if this applies to all LG TVs that feature the Apple TV app and AirPlay 2 or only select models.

LG plans to bake the Apple TV app into the series UM7X and UM6X UHD television sets in February, while both the app and Apple TV+ will be made available on 2018 model year TVs later this year through an over-the-air firmware release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    So, this Apple TV app that is now built in to some of these televisions can be a replacement for a separate Apple TV hardware device, correct?
    Ar40
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Ar40Ar40 Posts: 10member
    It can be a replacement for the TV app, though it's not an Apple TV. Apple TV allows you to play Apple Arcade. It also allows you to download other apps like the Netflix app, within the Apple TV ecosystem rather than the LG ecosystem. This is mainly to allow Apple TV+ and the all in one Apple TV Channels to reach more people.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    e500e500 Posts: 8member
    Sure would be nice if Apple would also upgrade AppleTV 4K to support HDR. I had to purchase a Roku device so I could watch the Superbowl the way it was transmitted. AppleTV 4K only gave you SDR.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Any word on 2019 Sony’s getting ATV app? I’ve got the AirPlay support already but ATV app would be great.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    So, this Apple TV app that is now built in to some of these televisions can be a replacement for a separate Apple TV hardware device, correct?

Mostly, yes. Depending on what other apps your tv gets or can’t get compared to an ATV. I’d assume your tv gets most of the major ones. However, also depending on your tv, if things like Atmos, Dolby Vision, HDR are important to you, then an ATV might be more useful.

• Reply 6 of 11
    e500 said:
    Sure would be nice if Apple would also upgrade AppleTV 4K to support HDR. I had to purchase a Roku device so I could watch the Superbowl the way it was transmitted. AppleTV 4K only gave you SDR.

Incorrect. Go to settings>video and audio>format
    4K HDR is the first choice 
    slow n easy
  • Reply 7 of 11
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    Depends on how you use an Apple TV. The Apple TV app replaces the same app on Apple TV boxes, and does the same thing that it does on there. It does not fully replace everything an Apple TV can do -- the Apple TV app has the (former) iTunes movie/tv buy/rent functionality, but doesn't have Apple Arcade (yet) or the TVos App Store (which offers dozens of streaming services, games, and other apps you won't find preinstalled on any TV set).

It also doesn't offer the privacy protection, app safety curation, and security protection that an Apple TV box offers, but apparently that's only important to a select group of people.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    e500 said:
    Apple TV 4K does have HDR including Dolby Vision.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    e500 said:
    Make sure you’re using a good quality HDMI cable.  You may need to upgrade it if you’re not getting the HDR option. 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    dbvapor said:

Make sure you’re using a good quality HDMI cable.  You may need to upgrade it if you’re not getting the HDR option. 
    I had to buy an HDMI cable from Apple directly to get this to work. I can’t remember the manufacturer (wasn’t apple branded), but it wasn’t cheap. My previous attempts with cheaper cables would cut out HDR intermittently as well as having hang ups while just browsing around/GUI freezes. It’s labeled as high speed cable of that helps. But yes ATV4K absolutely has HDR support, I use it almost every day.

*edit* just looked up my order, it’s a “Belkin UltraHD 4K/8K HDMI Cable. $30 USD. Much more than I’m used to paying for these types of cables but just didn’t work with the other “high speed” hdmi cables I tried before. Apple should include this damn thing if I HAVE to use it, considering it was more than just HDR comparability, it was impossible to use the interface with the amount of Lag I was getting. I suspect it was something to do with the ATV trying to kick on HDR constantly and not being able to, that caused the lags. Or some sort of data throughput  limitation. Though I don’t get what data is being sent thru HDMI aside from the video/audio signal and ARC signals. 
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Thanks for the answers.