ViacomCBS plans streaming service built on CBS All Access

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2020
The recently merged ViacomCBS is reportedly working on an all-encompassing streaming service that combines assets from its impressive catalog of media companies including Comedy Central, MTV and Nickelodeon.

ViacomCBS

Citing people familiar with the matter, CNBC reports ViacomCBS executives are mulling an ad-supported streaming product built on the existing CBS All Access service. In addition to content currently available on CBS All Access, the prospective offering could include assets from BET, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Pluto TV and Paramount Pictures.

An ad-free version of the service is also being explored, as is a premium tier that offers access to Showtime.

Those involved in the project have yet to decide on a name or agree on pricing, though sources say the base service will come in under $10. Currently, CBS All Access is marketed at $5.99 a month with ads, while a $9.99-per-month tier offers an ad-free experience.

Introduced in October 2014, CBS All Access was among the first over-the-top services to debut from a major network. In addition to a slate of popular shows and sporting events including NFL games, the service now boasts original content like "Star Trek: Picard" and the rebooted "The Twilight Zone."

Last July, CBS All Access landed on Apple TV Channels.

Viacom and CBS merged in August 2019 in a deal valued at $30 billion. The as-yet-unnamed streaming service is the firm's answer to products fielded by industry incumbents and newcomers like Apple.

ViacomCBS appears to be following a content bundling strategy similar to those employed by AT&T's WarnerMedia, NBCUniversal's Peacock and Disney+, the latter of which attracted 28.6 million subscribers in less than three months. Unlike Apple TV+, which relies solely on original content, products from other major players combine live TV with sports, series, movie properties and streaming originals.

More information about ViacomCBS' streaming service is expected to drop when the company reports earnings on Feb. 20.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Not a fan of CBS All-Access. It’s the one local station I can’t watch live on the Apple TV even when authenticating with my cable provider. Rather annoying. 
    DancingMonkeyscurtis hannah
  • Reply 2 of 11
    So another streaming service.  We're being 10-dollars-a-month'ed to death. 
    slprescottDancingMonkeysdysamoriacurtis hannah
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ITGUYINSD said:
    All of this activity illustrates how immensely profitable these services are for these companies. In five years all of the broadcast networks will have built out streaming options and broadcast options will look like extended infomercials.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ITGUYINSD said:

Well, you don't have to subscribe, you know. A lot of people have suggested how you can subscribe to a service for a month, binge watch whatever you are interested in, cancel your subscription and move onto the next service.

I think that is the closest we'll get to an all-you-can-eat buffet at a reasonable price.

BTW, I just managed to catch the first episode of Picard. It is pretty interesting.

pscooter63minicoffee
  • Reply 5 of 11
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    ITGUYINSD said:

Well, you don't have to subscribe, you know. A lot of people have suggested how you can subscribe to a service for a month, binge watch whatever you are interested in, cancel your subscription and move onto the next service.

I think that is the closest we'll get to an all-you-can-eat buffet at a reasonable price.

BTW, I just managed to catch the first episode of Picard. It is pretty interesting.

That is true.

People were whining for the longest time about Cable and how they should be able to pick and choose.

Well, what they wanted is now available to them.

I ditched my cable about a half a year ago, and I now subscribe to various streaming services and I jump between them from month to month. Most of them aren't interesting for more than a month at a time, in my opinion.

I've subscribed to almost everything, amazon, netflix, cbs all access, hbo, cinemax, starz, disney, hulu etc., just not all at the same time. I watch what I want and then I move on.
    edited February 2020 pscooter63minicoffee
  • Reply 6 of 11
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,046member
    supadav03 said:
    Not a fan of CBS All-Access. It’s the one local station I can’t watch live on the Apple TV even when authenticating with my cable provider. Rather annoying. 
    Local TV streaming depends upon a contract with the owner of the local CBS affiliate.

• Reply 7 of 11
    Viacom/CBS has an interesting collection of assets.

Viacom started out as a syndicator for off network CBS programming and later diversified into cable channels like MTV, VH1, BET, CMT, Comedy Central and Showtime.
    CBS also has launched an ad supported 24 hour news channel called CBSN and has since launched localized versions for New York City, the SF Bay area, and Los Angeles where they own local affiliated stations. They also own half of the CW Network. Another thing is Entertainment Tonight and they have launched a 24 hour streaming ET channel. CBS Sports Channel is also streaming.

Through the Viacom and Paramount libraries they have a large collection of content to stream on demand. CBS News is the US content partner for BBC News and has certain option rights for BBC News produced content.

Finally add in the Paramount production studio, the LA CBS Studio City complex and the CBS Broadcast Center complex in Manhattan (West 57th street) that has considerable studio facilities.

It would be pocket change for Apple to buy up this company and it would add a lot of valuable assets. Lots of content, a lot of production capacity and a collection of valuable brands. Then they have the AFC package for the NFL...
    mistertrick
  • Reply 8 of 11

Viacom started out as a syndicator for off network CBS programming and later diversified into cable channels like MTV, VH1, BET, CMT, Comedy Central and Showtime.
    CBS also has launched an ad supported 24 hour news channel called CBSN and has since launched localized versions for New York City, the SF Bay area, and Los Angeles where they own local affiliated stations. They also own half of the CW Network. Another thing is Entertainment Tonight and they have launched a 24 hour streaming ET channel. CBS Sports Channel is also streaming.

Through the Viacom and Paramount libraries they have a large collection of content to stream on demand. CBS News is the US content partner for BBC News and has certain option rights for BBC News produced content.

Finally add in the Paramount production studio, the LA CBS Studio City complex and the CBS Broadcast Center complex in Manhattan (West 57th street) that has considerable studio facilities.

It would be pocket change for Apple to buy up this company and it would add a lot of valuable assets. Lots of content, a lot of production capacity and a collection of valuable brands. Then they have the AFC package for the NFL...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,134member
    apple ][ said:
    ITGUYINSD said:

That is true.

People were whining for the longest time about Cable and how they should be able to pick and choose.

Well, what they wanted is now available to them.

I ditched my cable about a half a year ago, and I now subscribe to various streaming services and I jump between them from month to month. Most of them aren't interesting for more than a month at a time, in my opinion.

I've subscribed to almost everything, amazon, netflix, cbs all access, hbo, cinemax, starz, disney, hulu etc., just not all at the same time. I watch what I want and then I move on.
    Yes indeed. This is now the new normal. I'm all for choices, options, tiers...as long as it is clear what you're buying, and that it actually works. Toss in the local library for older content (even streaming content) and we have way more options, at better overall prices that we did from cable. Fairly, I have a good selection of OTA content where I am, but YMMV. I still fondly recall taking my cable box back to them 5+ years ago. 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Yay, Viacom wasn’t big enough. Now it’s bigger. Hooray. Acquire all the companies. Consolidation until it literally challenges the existence of nations. Yay.

Yay more billing, more accounts, and more work trying to figure out who owns and streams the content you want to watch at any given time...

Some people love to go on and on about how we are living in an exciting time where we have so much technical capability and opportunity... Whereas it seems to me that we live in a stealth dystopia.
    gatorguytenthousandthings
  • Reply 11 of 11
    davgreg said:

I agree fully with this statement, a lot of Market insiders think this the ViacomCBS merger is short-lived in these massive megaliths of industry (Disney with ABC, Comcast with NBC etc.) And while maybe it's not the cheapest asset out there, it seems inevitable that someone is gonna take them over. If Apple doesn't move on this opportunity, Google or Amazon likely will, And THEY have deep pockets as well
    edited February 2020