Amazon maintains massive lead over Apple in US smart speaker market

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    Most people could care less if it is audiophile grade. If they want to keep the Homepod product line, they need to improve Siri and have a version with a sub-$200 price point. They could still keep the existing Homepod as a "pro" model.
    OnPartyBusiness
  • Reply 42 of 53
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    dewme said:
    DAalseth said:
    Not really in the market for a speaker, smart or otherwise. 
    But if I was, there is no way I'd have one of those Amazon listening devices in my home. 

Same here!
    People debate the cost and functionality of these devices while ignoring the fact that, with one of them (or two if you include Google) you are paying a company to spy on you.  Plus, with potential hacking, it could be any number of others listening in as well.

Are people not aware of that? Or are they intentionally ignoring that inconvenient truth? Or maybe they just don't care?

I think it comes down to what individuals consider to be “spying” and the perceived cost-benefit of opting into these services. I helped design and implement a customer loyal program more than 20 years ago and the goals of these programs were and still are: 1) to get customers to spend more money with the retailer, 2) to avoid having to compete on price, especially against the “everyday low prices” competition (yeh, Walmart), and 3) to acquire personalized spending habits data to feed targeted marketing campaigns. That’s about what you’d expect when the source data was acquired from transactions captured at point-of-sale terminals that is correlated to a customer loyalty identifier and its backing metadata. Would you consider this “spying” when the customer opted into the program?

I don’t see what Amazon does with Alexa to be any different than what retailers have been doing for decades, keeping in mind that every Alexa device is also a pervasive point-of-sale terminal. Sure, they throw in some bells and whistles like playing music and having Alexa sing songs and tell jokes. The retailers who have loyalty programs do the same thing, like a free turkey on thanksgiving or free check cashing. Is this spying?

Where things get fuzzy is when the data collected from these loyalty programs gets pushed or sold to third parties. Even way back in the earliest days of the customer loyalty and frequent shopper programs there were buyers out there willing to scoop up all the transaction information fro all point of sale transactions, e.g., Coca Cola. These companies would do additional processing and data mining on bulk data to drive their sales and distribution, and also to resell to other producers who sell into the same channels. I always likened it to an oil well, where the individual stores collect the raw crude at point-of-sale and several layers of refineries convert it into other products for different uses. Again, is this spying? Maybe it’s analytics?

I don’t consider any of this to be spying, but (a big but), it does create a vast surveillance network and the infrastructure that real spies, e.g., the NSA, can exploit for their purposes. I don’t believe that Amazon is spying on me through Alexa, but I do believe that real spies could coerce (or hack) Amazon and take advantage of the surveillance network that Amazon has put in place. This may sound scary, but every single personalized relationship that you’ve established with any vendor or service provider is equally at risk, be it your bank, cable TV provider, employer, college, mortgage company, electric utility, email, Facebook, etc. If real spies want to spy on you they have so many ways to do it already, so the incremental risk posed by interactive voice assistance from Echo, Siri, Google, etc., aren’t going to make much of a difference. If you’re a Facebook subscriber you’ve already setup a honeypot of rich contextual data that’s so easy to acquire, so why worry at all about Siri or Alexa?

That's an excellent synopsis.
    But also a good example of moving the bar.   Collecting information on somebody without their knowledge or consent is spying no matter how its done or what the information is.  Yeh, many of those products put out a 30 page privacy statement.  But, it's mostly designed to muddy the waters and minimize the extent and value of information being collected -- so the person, even if they read it -- is still not fully aware of what goes on.   Or, if they are, the whole process is meant to enable them to deny it to themselves.

Yes, I realize that it is common and pervasive -- but I'll still call it "spying".

I think an analogy might be:  How many who ignore that Amazon and Google are watching and collecting their every word and move would object if the government put up a camera pointed at their house?  Yet, Amazon and Google probably know more about them than the government would with their camera.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 43 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    MacPro said:
    hodar said:

I have a HomePod for the downstairs TV.  I am less than impressed.  For the price, I have seen similarly priced Visio Sound bars that outperform the HomePod as used as an external TV speaker.  In my use case, the HomePod was purchased to link with the AppleTV, to provide a better sound for watching TV.

As a single unit, the HomePod sounds pretty good, playing music - but does not do as well reproducing dialog as a primary speaker for TV/movies.  The sound is muddled, and the vocals unclear - the build-in sound from my 2003 Panasonic Plasma TV does vocal and dialog sound from the shows better.  This is disappointing.

Most Home Theater units, including every iPhone, iPod and iPad have a built-in equalizer, to set the levels for different types of music (i.e.. jazz, classical, rock, etc.) and a home theater will also include EQ settings for movies, sports, etc.  The HomePod has no such setting at all.  Why?

IE.Q. is often used to compensate not only for the source but also the acoustics of the environment (the two are hard to separate).  The HomePods do this automatically and in real time.  Close the curtains and the HomePods adjust.

While the woofer adjusts in real-time the seven tweeters do not. They only readjust when the Homepod's proximity sensor indicates the unit has been moved. Acoustically that makes sense. The Google Home Max does the same general thing, the woofer adjusting itself in real-time which they refer to as SmartSound, even if the Homepod may have what is described as a more sophisticated method of initially adjusting to the room. In a lot of environments the end result will be the same. Only the bass is adjusted in real-time. 
    edited February 2020 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 44 of 53
    fahlman said:
    slurpy said:
    Can't believe people are comparing a $30 piece of trash that is literally included as a freebie with SO many tech products, etc, to a $300 audiophile grade, ultra high quality speaker as if theyre even remotely comparable.
    Echo Studio
    I still can’t understand why anyone would want a speaker that creates a fake “3-D” audio stream with a monophonic speaker.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 45 of 53
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    dkhaley said:
    Most people could care less if it is audiophile grade. If they want to keep the Homepod product line, they need to improve Siri and have a version with a sub-$200 price point. They could still keep the existing Homepod as a "pro" model.
    Hmm, I don't know. I merely use Siri on the HomePod to start, or stop, music. For that, it's ok.
    dewme
  • Reply 46 of 53
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    HomePod is a bust. Get it to work with every TV — e.g., by throwing in an HDMI slot — or watch it disappear into nothingness in the next year or so. 

What a wasted opportunity. At the moment, it’s just Apple’s stupid, sad HiFi speaker redux. 
    It works with every Appletv via airplay quite nicely.  Why in the world would they need to put an HDMI slot in this tiny speaker and take away one if it's strengths which is being able to be placed almost anywhere and still produce great sound..It's not a sound bar...  I have mine in a central location in my upstairs living room where everyone in the house can play music via airplay or with a Siri command.

It has some rumble but hardly the same as a dedicated soundbar with sub.. Maybe in a bedroom or small apartment it would make sense as a standalone for movies and tv?

edited February 2020
  • Reply 47 of 53
    fahlman said:
    slurpy said:
    Can't believe people are comparing a $30 piece of trash that is literally included as a freebie with SO many tech products, etc, to a $300 audiophile grade, ultra high quality speaker as if theyre even remotely comparable.
    Echo Studio

The graph in the article is as of Nov 2019.. Echo Studio was released 11/07/2019.  So as the OP said they are directly comparing the sales figures against $30.00 garbage for the most part.

eMarketer Smart Speaker

FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 48 of 53
    hodar said:

I have a HomePod for the downstairs TV.  I am less than impressed.  For the price, I have seen similarly priced Visio Sound bars that outperform the HomePod as used as an external TV speaker.  In my use case, the HomePod was purchased to link with the AppleTV, to provide a better sound for watching TV.

As a single unit, the HomePod sounds pretty good, playing music - but does not do as well reproducing dialog as a primary speaker for TV/movies.  The sound is muddled, and the vocals unclear - the build-in sound from my 2003 Panasonic Plasma TV does vocal and dialog sound from the shows better.  This is disappointing.

Most Home Theater units, including every iPhone, iPod and iPad have a built-in equalizer, to set the levels for different types of music (i.e.. jazz, classical, rock, etc.) and a home theater will also include EQ settings for movies, sports, etc.  The HomePod has no such setting at all.  Why?

I am so confused by this..  Is and was the Homepod marketed for Home Theater?  I have had one since launch and watched the Keynote when it was announced and do not recall ever seeing that?

I know folks here wanted to try that out with stereo pairing mode to see how it worked for movies and TV, but never have I seen anything from apple that suggests this using the HP in this way. So I think that is why you aren't seeing the settings that you are looking for.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 49 of 53
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jcs2305 said:
    hodar said:

I am so confused by this..  Is and was the Homepod marketed for Home Theater?  I have had one since launch and watched the Keynote when it was announced and do not recall ever seeing that?

I know folks here wanted to try that out with stereo pairing mode to see how it worked for movies and TV, but never have I seen anything from apple that suggests this using the HP in this way. So I think that is why you aren't seeing the settings that you are looking for.

Yeh, as I remember, they talked about the great sound from it but never said it was meant as a replacement for a high-end audio system.  But there was lots of chatter and debate about it.  I think folks simply thought it was capable of more than what it was meant to be -- but it was never clear if they thought the HP was so great or if they just lowered the bar for high-end audio systems.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Beats said:
    Apple invented Siri and Homekit and for these companies to steal these and outsell Apple is a shame.

Of course these numbers aren't accurate but Alexa is becoming a household name in a market that should have been absolutely dominated by Siri and Apple.
    Beats said:
    larrya said:
    dedgecko said:
    robjn said:
    Of course if you count the ‘speakers’ on all the iPhones, iPad, Watches, Macs and Apple TV’s you find that Apple’s assistant is everywhere and with a much broader international and multi-lingual reach.

Personally, we love HomePod. It sounds great and interacts beautifully and effortlessly with all the other Apple stuff we have.

For example, with the new lyric feature in Apple Music, one of our favorite things is to play music from the Apple TV with the HomePods as a source. This is also a great setup for Music Videos. I can adjust playback from any iPhone or iPad in the house or even Apple Watch. This kind of integration is awesome!
    I can’t believe I had to get this far down for someone to call this to the comment community’s attention. DED would be ashamed of us.

The “smart” speaker is in nearly every Apple device. The only reason the Echo is what it is is because the Fire phone failed and Amazon wanted Alex in peoples home at the cheapest price possible. Never mind google assistant and Siri already on everyone’s phones.

Was it a successful pivot from Fire Phone to Echo Speaker?  We know that Amazon barely makes any profit on them given they are never NOT on sale. I’m sure they bring in a fair amount of revenue, but they definitely aren’t profit drivers. 

If you can't win sales, change the definition of Smart Speaker.  That does sound like DED.  

Apple NEVER intended to compete against Alexa and Google spy speakers. HomePod was in development before them. IDK why people think Apple invents their products in 3 months. Same with iKnockoff users who claim AirPods copied the first Galaxy Buds that released 3 months prior lol. Delusional. 
    Apple did NOT INVENT Siri. They bought the company that invented it. Just like with most Apple features. 

Where is your proof that the HomePod was in development before the others. You CANNOT prove. So STFU. 
  • Reply 51 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Beats said:
    Apple invented Siri and Homekit and for these companies to steal these and outsell Apple is a shame.

Of course these numbers aren't accurate but Alexa is becoming a household name in a market that should have been absolutely dominated by Siri and Apple.
    Beats said:
    larrya said:
    dedgecko said:
    robjn said:
    Of course if you count the ‘speakers’ on all the iPhones, iPad, Watches, Macs and Apple TV’s you find that Apple’s assistant is everywhere and with a much broader international and multi-lingual reach.

Personally, we love HomePod. It sounds great and interacts beautifully and effortlessly with all the other Apple stuff we have.

For example, with the new lyric feature in Apple Music, one of our favorite things is to play music from the Apple TV with the HomePods as a source. This is also a great setup for Music Videos. I can adjust playback from any iPhone or iPad in the house or even Apple Watch. This kind of integration is awesome!
    I can’t believe I had to get this far down for someone to call this to the comment community’s attention. DED would be ashamed of us.

The “smart” speaker is in nearly every Apple device. The only reason the Echo is what it is is because the Fire phone failed and Amazon wanted Alex in peoples home at the cheapest price possible. Never mind google assistant and Siri already on everyone’s phones.

Was it a successful pivot from Fire Phone to Echo Speaker?  We know that Amazon barely makes any profit on them given they are never NOT on sale. I’m sure they bring in a fair amount of revenue, but they definitely aren’t profit drivers. 

If you can't win sales, change the definition of Smart Speaker.  That does sound like DED.  

Apple NEVER intended to compete against Alexa and Google spy speakers. HomePod was in development before them. IDK why people think Apple invents their products in 3 months. Same with iKnockoff users who claim AirPods copied the first Galaxy Buds that released 3 months prior lol. Delusional. 
    Apple did NOT INVENT Siri. They bought the company that invented it. Just like with most Apple features. 

Where is your proof that the HomePod was in development before the others. You CANNOT prove. So STFU. 
    Well there was "this guy" in one of the Apple labs who in his spare time toyed with a compact speaker. That qualifies as "Apple was developing the HomePod" I suppose tho I don't know if was ever specified when "this guy" started toying with it. 
  • Reply 52 of 53
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Beats said:

Beats said:
    larrya said:
    dedgecko said:
    robjn said:

Apple in fact doesn't buy most of its technology. Until recently didn't engage in much in the way of mergers at all. Siri when released to the market was an Apple product, however after work done at Apple, so it is in fact an Apple product. Just like OS X.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    asdasd said:
    Beats said:

Beats said:
    larrya said:
    dedgecko said:
    robjn said:

Apple in fact doesn't buy most of its technology. Until recently didn't engage in much in the way of mergers at all. Siri when released to the market was an Apple product, however after work done at Apple, so it is in fact an Apple product. Just like OS X.
    "Most of it's technology" is an exaggeration, but "a lot" isn't inaccurate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Apple#Divestments   Until recently, Apple didn't have the financial wherewithal to engage in many acquisitions.  Remember, Apple didn't cross the $100 million revenue mark until 2011.
    Siri was not released to market as an Apple product.  Siri was an app that was already on the App Store before Apple acquired it.  Regardless, Siri certainly wasn't invented by Apple as the poster claimed.  Nothing that poster claimed is even remotely true.