Apple suppliers gearing up for 'iPhone SE 2' production

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2020
Rumors continue to mount, suggesting that the "iPhone SE 2" may be close to release as manufacturers begin full production of device components.

Apple's iPhone SE

Taiwanese compound semiconductor manufacturers are preparing to fill shipments of power amplifier, radio frequency, and other components. This all hints that hinting that Apple's "iPhone SE 2" may be gearing up for full production in the next few weeks, according to DigiTimes.

The publication claims that existing Apple suppliers Qorvo and Avago are among suppliers of radio frequency and power amplification components for the "iPhone SE 2." Win Semiconductors, Visual Photonics Epitaxy (VPEC) and Advanced Wireless Semiconductor (AWSC) are said not not be directly producing components for the phone, but are producing components intended for assemblies that other manufacturers will make.

The article also suggests that the "iPhone SE 2" will include structured-light 3D sensors with VCSEL components manufactured by Win Semi, and TSMC affiliate Xintec will process the diffractive optical elements. Apple will continue to design the LCD driver IC solution in-house and will be packaged by Chipbond Technology with chip-on-film technology.

Win Semi is reported to be the sole fabricator of VCSEL components for time-of-flight, AR, and depth-of-field photography applications. According to unnamed industry sources, the time-of-flight camera modules are also expected to be incorporated into the next generation of iPads and the "iPhone 12".

DigiTimes track record on predicting Apple product specifics or release timing is very bad. However, it does have a decent track record on examining the supply chain. Thursday's report is closer to the latter category, than the former.

These rumors come shortly after DigiTimes had suggested that has shifted the production of the "iPhone SE 2" to Taiwan, where the Coronavirus has not made significant impact.

The coronavirus outbreak continues to slow production of Apple components as factories continue to operate at sub-optimal capacities. It is predicted that smartphone sales will see as much as a 50% decline in China during this fiscal quarter. Apple was a fraction of its current size in 2003 and was able to handle the reduction in production during the SARS outbreak.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    "iPhone SE 2 will include structured-light 3D sensors with VCSEL components.”

Then will it have FaceID or a rear array similar to the upcoming iPhone 12?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member

I saw that too. I would think FaceID - the technology is a couple years old now, so they’ve had time to economize the manufacturing. The (rumored) SE 2 will be an economy phone, but I still see Apple moving away from TouchID
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 3 of 9
    MplsP said:

I saw that too. I would think FaceID - the technology is a couple years old now, so they’ve had time to economize the manufacturing. The (rumored) SE 2 will be an economy phone, but I still see Apple moving away from TouchID
    Perhaps moving away from the button version of TouchID.  But an under screen version would be something else and could be very desirable.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Interesting article.  But next time I sure would appreciate an overview of:

- Structured-light 3D sensors

- Diffractive optical elements

- VCSEL components

- Time-of-flight camera module

- AR photography application

- Depth-of-field photography application

I mean, what the heck is all this stuff and why is it needed?  Maybe even one sentence about it...

edited February 2020
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Glad they're staying with a range of sizes.  My wife has had an iPhone practically since Year One.  Though a longtime computer customer, I didn't switch to the phone until the SE arrived.  Then, we went in different size directions.  She moved to smaller.  I have an XR, now.

"Spice of life", etc..
  • Reply 6 of 9
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    M68000 said:
    MplsP said:

Perhaps moving away from the button version of TouchID.  But an under screen version would be something else and could be very desirable.
    Yes, if properly implemented, but that wouldn't show up on an iPhone SE first. The SE is a model that uses developed technology (and modules), putting them together in a lower cost package. If they do an in-screen fingerprint detector I'd expect to see it in the 12.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    With all the talk about the SE2/iPhone 9 I have seen where it is supposed to be similar to the 8? I personally would like the old SE body just slightly bigger! The issue I have the rounded design of my iPhone 6sPlus is the power button the side opposite of the volume buttons! I like it in the top like the SE! Is there any chance they will be using the old and much liked design???
  • Reply 8 of 9
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    With all the talk about the SE2/iPhone 9 I have seen where it is supposed to be similar to the 8? I personally would like the old SE body just slightly bigger! The issue I have the rounded design of my iPhone 6sPlus is the power button the side opposite of the volume buttons! I like it in the top like the SE! Is there any chance they will be using the old and much liked design???
    To help keep the price of an economy phone down, Apple would want to avoid using as little new design as possible, as they did with the 5/5s form factor, going to the SE.

The SE is too small to include much of the current tech, unlike back in March, 2016. I think that's why the rumors talk about the iPhone 8. To keep the cost as low as possible, I'd assume Apple would stay with the TID button. But the 8 is big enough that putting FID in it would probably be doable, but at what cost to the bottom line. Apple doesn't do loss leader.

So my uneducated guess is that TID would stay, as well as the sleep button on the side. If we must have a bigger phone, I'd still want the SE form factor in the size of the 6, instead of the 8's. I'm prepared to be disappointed but not yet to compromise.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    So disappointing if all the rumors are true. Biggest reason i still have an SE is because I didn’t like the 6,7,8 form factor. Wish they would have just shoved a new processor and bigger battery in the same tried and true case. Maybe add water resistance and call it good. Smaller glass area + metal back = 4 years in my pocket with original crack-free screen.