Apple releases updates for watchOS 6.1.3, watchOS 5.3.5 for legacy iPhones

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 2020
Apple has released multiple updates for the Apple Watch, with watchOS 6.1.3 released for up-to-date versions of the wearable device alongside watchOS 5.3.5 for owners of older iPhones that are not able to use the latest iOS releases.

Apple Watch owners can download the updates for watchOS by Watch app on their connected iPhone, selecting the My Watch tab then General, and then Software Update. Once selected, the update will automatically download and then install to the Apple Watch overnight, so long as it is placed on charge and is within Wi-Fi range of the host iPhone.

The updates today cover two software updates: watchOS 6.1.3 and watchOS 5.3.5. The update for watchOS 6.1.3 applies to all Apple Watch users who also have an iPhone using the latest version of iOS, while watchOS 5.3.5 is for those with older models of Apple Watch and legacy iPhones that simply cannot upgrade to iOS 13 or later.

According to the release notes for watchOS 6.1.3, the update includes improvements and bug fixes, with the download weighing in at 48 megabytes. The main highlight of the update is a "fix for an issue that prevented the irregular heart rhythm notification from working as expected for Apple Watch owners in Iceland."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Check your headline.  Watch OS 5.3.5 should be for legacy Apple Watches NOT legacy iPhones.

Thanks,
    Todd
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Greetings from Iceland!  :)
    Wgkrueger
  • Reply 3 of 9
    microtard said:
    Check your headline.  Watch OS 5.3.5 should be for legacy Apple Watches NOT legacy iPhones.

Thanks,
    Todd
    Wrong, it’s both. Watch Series 0 but also iPhones 6 and under which cannot upgrade to iOS 13, regardless of Watch Series. 
    bonobob
  • Reply 4 of 9
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,642member
    microtard said:

Thanks,
    Todd
    Wrong, it’s both. Watch Series 0 but also iPhones 6 and under which cannot upgrade to iOS 13, regardless of Watch Series. 
    Watch Series 0 will not update past watchOS 4.3.2. This update is not for Series 0.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    spheric said:
    microtard said:

Thanks,
    Todd
    Watch Series 0 will not update past watchOS 4.3.2. This update is not for Series 0.
    Ah, well then the headline is exactly correct then. That’s a strike, Todd!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Um okay but this doesn't fix the amazingly glaring issue of Apple Watch series 3 being automatically upgraded to WatchOS 6, thus bricking it so it can't pair with iPhone 6 owners! My partner let her brother (with a newer iPhone) borrow her watch to try out, and upon return discovered that she could no longer pair her watch! And incredibly, her aunty received a series 3 watch for her birthday, which the "gurus" assured would work with iPhone 6 (which they previously did before the update!), only too discover the same issue. I can't believe apple would let this slide under the radar. There must be thousands of people with previously paired iPhone 6s only to discover their updated watch no longer pairing. Steve Jobs would be rolling over in his grave.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Greetings from Iceland!  :)
    Ah, Iceland; home to the world’s greatest tour guides. 

“If you look out to your left, you will see a boulder next to a house. The boulder was thrown from a volcanic eruption  about a mile  away. It was too heavy to move so it stayed there. Incidentally,  I went to school with the man who owns that house. He’s an idiot.”

edited February 2020 williamhsphericmwhitefastasleep
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I hope this fixes a bug on my Watch Series 5 where I can't scroll with my dial (this is intermittent). I can feel the feedback of the dial turn clicks, but screen does not move. I can only scroll with the touch screen, then eventually the dial will kick in. So far so good.....
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I had to have my watch downgraded by apple for Watch OS 6 to OS 5 because I switched to a backup IPhone 6. It had to be sent in. All in all it took about 2.5 weeks from start to finish to get it done. It was a frustrating ordeal.