New Microsoft Office iOS app unifies Excel, PowerPoint, Word

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,251member
    Ah yes, free to download, subscription required to use. Nothing beats paying rent for Office indefinitely for life. No thanks.
    Same with Adobe stuff. I would gladly buy the newer versions of AI or Photoshop, but I’ll never rent them. 
    agilealtitudeStrangeDaysseanjpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 37
    They should really make a unified lightweigth Mac app.

Their stuff is the slowest on my Mac. 
    seanjrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 37
    NinjaMan said:
    seanj said:
    MicroSoft = Malware
    Considering that Mac infections have significantly increased and now outpaces PCs...going to have to give you big fat WRONG on this one...
    Mostly adware is not an infection I would be concerned about. 
    seanjdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Will it be as crash-tastic as their old version?
    seanjwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Ah yes, free to download, subscription required to use. Nothing beats paying rent for Office indefinitely for life. No thanks.
    I'm perfectly satisfied with subscribing to Office 365. As many Mac users found out the hard way when they updated to macOS Catalina, old software eventually breaks. Same goes for the Adobe CS6 crowd screaming bloody murder. If you use these apps for business it behoves you to stay current. It's an ongoing investment.

I also like the 1TB of One Drvie storage and 60 minutes/mo of Skype included in the subscription.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Maybe my expectations were too high, but Excel for iPhone/iPad is just too anemic for my uses, which include downloading stock and other functions.  I really want it to be better, and the editing is just too clunky, even with a keyboard attached tot he iPad.  Excel is definitely an app where a mouse is critical for efficient use.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 37
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    MacPro said:
    seanj said:
    MicroSoft = Malware
    Not these days IMHO.  I would have agreed until Windows 10.   I have five PCs now as well as seven macs and all the PCs run Windows 10 pro with no third party anti whatever crap, MS's built in defenses have proven able to keep all my hardware safe thus far.  99% of the issues with Windows was always crapware and the likes of anti-virus apps as they were malware themselves.  That said, no PC is used for mail or web access.  Just applications or Mysql.
    Alas at work I have to use Windows 10 machines - whereas at home I’m purely Mac. We can’t take security lightly so they are still loaded up with 3rd party anti-virus, disabled USB ports, ultra-string drive encryption etc

But that still doesn’t alter the fact Windows is crapware, regularly crashing, with a dysfunctional UI, and horrendous compatibility issues with drivers etc. So yes, I’d stand by “MicroSoft = Malware”, not “mal” as in “malicious” but “mal” as in “bad” (eg malpractice, malfeasance, etc).
    edited February 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 37
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Is Microsoft going to continue to offer the separate Office 365 apps for iOS and iPadOS? I have no problems with picking and choosing only the apps and functionality that I need. For example, I don’t need PowerPoint. 

I am usually not a fan of Swiss Army knife style apps, especially from Microsoft. The hideousness of the whole usually exceeds the hideousness of the sum of the parts. Outlook with its combination of calendar and email functionality just doesn’t play well with with non-Microsoft calendar and email programs, at least on all of my Apple devices. When I reply to a calendar invitation from an Outlook user it is never handled cleanly by my iPhone or iPad, even if I use the attached ics file. It also behaves differently again on my Mac, I always get a follow up email asking why I didn’t accept the invitation when in fact I did. Royal PIA. After having lived through the horror show that was Lotus Notes I always run for cover whenever I see a single app that tries to do too many things. Yeah, like iTunes.

This never would’ve happened on Bill’s watch!

(Just kidding, he would’ve integrated something even more hideous, like VBA, into the comglomerated Office app for iOS/iPadOS.) 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    MacPro said:
    seanj said:
    MicroSoft = Malware
    Not these days IMHO.  I would have agreed until Windows 10.   I have five PCs now as well as seven macs and all the PCs run Windows 10 pro with no third party anti whatever crap, MS's built in defenses have proven able to keep all my hardware safe thus far.  99% of the issues with Windows was always crapware and the likes of anti-virus apps as they were malware themselves.  That said, no PC is used for mail or web access.  Just applications or Mysql.
    ^ Windows Defender is decent (if barebones)

With Apple’s increased risk of malware, they need to develop something similar.
    Any time a Windows machine is purchased it needs to be immediately wiped and loaded with the ISO from Microsoft’s website.  The malware/crap ware is coming from the OEMs. 
    That is exactly what I do.  That said Dell shipped me a clean PC with no crapware and when I buy servers from eBay I totally wipe and reinstall Windows 10 Pro N.

Apple already has the equivalent of defender you just don't see it.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member

86hawkeye said:
    I don't see this yet in the iOS App Store.
    I saw this merged app announced (available) for Android.  As far as I can tell it’s still in beta for iOS... it’s certainly not available on my iPad.
    There is literally a link to the App Store Office app in the story itself (beginning of the final paragraph).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 37
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    You might try reading the actual article. The new Office app is free to access and save documents to cloud services, and while an Office 365 subscription unlocks "premium features," it is not required. That said ... what's the difference between paying $80-100/year or $300-500 every three to five years for the non-sub version in order to stay current on Office? Oh wait, virtually nothing!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    melgross said:
    It’s interesting that Apple has to break up iTunes, because some people can’t deal with its all in one functionality, which never bothered me. But now, Microsoft is giving us an all in one version of Office, and people seem happy about it. This all seems pretty strange to me. Are people going to complain of the complexity, or is there a different standard here?
    You make a good point, but in this case, MS is basically combining everything into something to create documents

Apple had something called iTunes that handled music, video, book syncing, device syncing, mobile apps ...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 37
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Rayz2016 said:
    melgross said:
    It’s interesting that Apple has to break up iTunes, because some people can’t deal with its all in one functionality, which never bothered me. But now, Microsoft is giving us an all in one version of Office, and people seem happy about it. This all seems pretty strange to me. Are people going to complain of the complexity, or is there a different standard here?
    You make a good point, but in this case, MS is basically combining everything into something to create documents

Apple had something called iTunes that handled music, video, book syncing, device syncing, mobile apps ...
    Excell and PowerPoint are as close to “documents” as movies and Tv shows are to music. One is Office work, and the other is multimedia. I always found it convienient to have it all together. You just clicked to go from one to the other. No big deal. Software updates there too, because iTunes was a download center. No problem there either. I never understood why some people, and it wasn’t by any means a majority, got so twisted over it. I think taking the app apart has been more confusing. Now, you have to go all over the place to do what you could do in one place.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    MacPro said:
    seanj said:
    MicroSoft = Malware
    Windows Defender (They will call it Advanced Threat Defense or somethjng along those lines) will be available for your Apple devices sometime later this year.
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Yep not optimized for the iPad. Now I remember why I deleted it the first time. Deleted it again. 
  • Reply 36 of 37
    hexclock said:
    Same with Adobe stuff. I would gladly buy the newer versions of AI or Photoshop, but I’ll never rent them. 
    Bingo.  I used to buy Adobe products, but not for several years now.

No software rentals, no phoning home.
    watto_cobra