Latest 'Shot on iPhone' video uses iPhone 11 Pro to highlight Nevada's Valley of Fire

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Apple's newest video, "A Journey into the Valley of Fire," shows off iPhone 11 Pro's 4K video and Ultra Wide camera in an awe-inspiring Nevada state park.

"Fifty miles from Las Vegas lie the remains of a monumental geological process, sculpted by 200 million years of wind and water. An ocean of rock, a valley of fire," reads the opening scene.

The video, shot on an iPhone 11 Pro, provides sweeping shots of the iconic sandstone structures that make up Nevada's Valley of Fire State Park. The song in the video is "Frontier" by Holly Herndon.

Apple's "Shot on iPhone" project aims to showcase the video and photography capabilities of the iPhone. Other installments have included a recent ad that shows the iPhone 11's improved night mode, as well as an eight-minute short film for the Chinese New Year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    My photos and videos never come close to looking like this (not that they're bad, just not this good). Wish I knew how they did it.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    beautiful! but i’m clearly not the market of phones with great cameras.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I was surprised to see a tortoise! 😃
  • Reply 4 of 18
    What kind of rig did they use? Obviously not that easy to make these kind of shots.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I was surprised to see a tortoise! 😃
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_tortoise
  • Reply 6 of 18
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Great video! But what was all that shrieking in the background?
    Anilu_777
  • Reply 7 of 18
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Beautiful scenery, nice video, but what’s the reflection of the phone lenses at 1:16?
    Anilu_777
  • Reply 8 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    fred1 said:
    Beautiful scenery, nice video, but what’s the reflection of the phone lenses at 1:16?
    It looks like sunlight reflecting off the camera housing onto the rock face.

StrangeDaysAnilu_777
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Several of those shots looked like drone shots, I am not aware of the drones that are iPhone compatible. Several of those shots appeared to zoom farther than the iPhone is capable of w/o losing the detail of the shot into pixel noise. So I too am interested in a Making-Of, for now as to this being *entirely* made on iPhone I say Pics or it Didn't Happen
  • Reply 10 of 18
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    The shots were beautiful. Maybe because I studied Geology I was more into them than others might have been, but this is gorgeous. 
    The music on the other hand was just annoying. Halfway through I muted it.
    Anilu_777
  • Reply 11 of 18
    israndy said:
    Several of those shots looked like drone shots, I am not aware of the drones that are iPhone compatible. Several of those shots appeared to zoom farther than the iPhone is capable of w/o losing the detail of the shot into pixel noise. So I too am interested in a Making-Of, for now as to this being *entirely* made on iPhone I say Pics or it Didn't Happen
    Yes you’re right Apple is lying. You got em. 
  • Reply 12 of 18
    israndy said:
    Well they were shot on an iPhone. Apple never said they were shot on an iPhone alone though. An iPhone with a custom drone rig, an iPhone with a big zoom lens hanging off the back, both still count as shot on an iPhone.
    Anilu_777
  • Reply 13 of 18
    If they used an iPhone to take the photos is counts as shot on iPhone. Some shots were clearly drone shots but a drone can carry a smartphone. As for the soundtrack that made me think my speakers were going. I’d much rather have heard native drummers or singers. I have no idea what that was but it was hard on the ears. 
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Drones are illegal in the Valley of Fire. To be fair this should be disqualified as nice as it is because it was garnered inappropriately. 
  • Reply 15 of 18
    plefko said:
    Drones are illegal in the Valley of Fire. To be fair this should be disqualified as nice as it is because it was garnered inappropriately. 
    1) You don't know they used a drone.

2) Even if they did, you don't know that they didn't get special permission to use a drone.

3) It's still the iPhone recording video which is what the video is purporting.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Showing off the iPhone and shot in 4K, but uploaded with 1080p as a maximum stream? 🤔
  • Reply 17 of 18
    HiramAbif said:
    Showing off the iPhone and shot in 4K, but uploaded with 1080p as a maximum stream? 🤔
    I have a 4K/2160/UHD option.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    plefko said:
    It's a lot of paperwork to get permission but you can use drones in a lot of places that are generally off limits.