Apple TV+ creative executive Michelle Medelovitz leaves for Fox TV role

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2020
Apple TV+ creative executive Michelle Medelovitz has jumped ship from the streaming service for another major studio, by taking a role as a senior vice president of 20th Century Fox Television.

'For All Mankind,' an Apple TV+ show Mendelovitz oversaw
'For All Mankind,' an Apple TV+ show Mendelovitz oversaw

Mendelovitz has been working for Apple TV as a creative executive in Los Angeles since September 2018, but she will be shifting to working for 20th Century Fox Television on March 16. The role of senior vice president of drama development will have Mendelovitz reporting to Jennifer Gwartz, executive vice president of development, comedy, and drama.

"Michelle's the rare executive whose experience spans network, studio, and streamer," said president of creative affairs Carolyn Cassidy in a statement received by Variety. "She comes with an expertise and deep relationships in the community which will help us as we set out to supply distinctive dramas to all platforms."

"20th is a studio synonymous with high-quality series created by some of the most dynamic talent in the business," Mendelovitz claims. "I couldn't be more thrilled to join Carolyn and Jen in their focus to nurture and support creative ideas, push boundaries, and empower writers to do their best work."

In her time at Apple, Mendelovitz worked developing scripted and documentary series for the service, including "For All Mankind," "Invasion," "Servant," "Severance," and "Visible: Out on Television." She also worked on the Oprah Winfrey and Prince Harry mental health documentary.

Previously to Apple, Mendelovitz worked for Sony Pictures Entertainment for four years as a director of scripted programming then vice president of US and global scripted programming. Before that, she worked for six years at CBS, coordinating programming and managing comedy development for the broadcaster.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    So is this the part of Fox that went to Disney or the part that stayed with the Murdochs?

swat671
  • Reply 2 of 12
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    IDK about others, but I find the majority of content in ATV+ exceptionally uninspiring, outright boring or irrelevant if you don't belong to a certain audience living in the USA.  After my 1 year free period it will not be subscribed to. 

'For All Mankind' is the only show I found entertaining, despite at times being overloaded with PC. 
    edited March 2020 SpamSandwichchemengin1
  • Reply 3 of 12
    davgreg said:
    So is this the part of Fox that went to Disney or the part that stayed with the Murdochs?

Disney.  You'll probably see most of her influence on Hulu.  That's where Disney puts most of it's Fox content.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    ElCapitan said:
    IDK about others, but I find the majority of content in ATV+ exceptionally uninspiring, outright boring or irrelevant if you don't belong to a certain audience living in the USA.  After my 1 year free period it will not be subscribed to. 

'For All Mankind' is the only show I found entertaining, despite at times being overloaded with PC. 
    So you are not the target audience then. So what?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    ElCapitan said:

A "certain audience living in the USA" -- hmm sounds mysterious. Is this a conspiracy theory? What sort of "certain audience" are you talking about, here?

Myself, our household has enjoyed the shows. So far we've finished The Morning Show, For All Mankind, Servant, See, Mythic Quest, and others in progress. Yes, they're American shows, but I'm an American. I am less interested in shows on other nation networks because they have less to do with me. (There are exceptions, of course, the occasional crime drama that rises to the top, or sci-fi hit like Germany's Dark, etc).
    edited March 2020 lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    These defections are going in the wrong direction. Congrats to Disney though.
    swat671
  • Reply 7 of 12
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    davgreg said:

I don’t think Disney bought fox tv.  
  • Reply 8 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    These defections are going in the wrong direction. Congrats to Disney though.
    They aren’t. Just like with the software job changes, it’s completely normal. This is one going the other way, but we’ve seen plenty the other. In reality there is constant turnover, most you never hear about, and it simply doesn’t matter. 
  • Reply 9 of 12
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    lkrupp said:
    ElCapitan said:

I think the point that was being made is that the service will need to attract more diverse viewers with content that is more fitting for the general public.

rotateleftbyteElCapitan
  • Reply 10 of 12
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I watched one episode of For Mankind, scratched my head and wondered why they bothered.  I enjoyed Servant, Dickinson, Little America, The Morning Show, however See (as in seen it all before) Truth be Told (a waste of great talent). 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    ElCapitan said:

Oh yes, I agree about overloaded with PCs that's why I use Mac stuff. Wait.... oh you mean stories that might have characters that are not white and male? Boy are you a sensitive guy, the future will be filled with daily disappointments. 
  • Reply 12 of 12

lkrupp said:
    ElCapitan said:

Wow your love of Apple made you tone deaf to his "dog whistle" of white privilege.