New 14.1-inch MacBook Pro, 2020 iMac Pro may sport Mini LED displays

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    The 16" MacBook Pro is too big IMHO unless it's mostly used as a desktop replacement. 14" MacBook Pro will be much better than 13" in usability. I still think that the 15" screen is the best size, though. Make a bezel-less 15" MacBook Pro, Apple and follow up with a 17" bezel-less MacBook Pro for those who need a very powerful machine. Then release a 13" bezel-less MacBook Air and be done with it. 13", 15", 17" all bezel-less.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 22 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,043member
    macbootx said:
    tht said:
    The Pro Display XDR is a miniLED with an array of 576 backlights. 

These rumored miniLEDs are an order of magnitude increase in backlights though. Kuo was rumormongering 10,000 backlights. 
    The Pro Display XDR Technology Overview doesn’t use the term “Mini LED” anywhere. 
    Anyway, aren’t LED’s already “mini”? This article doesn’t even mention if the LED technology in question is some sort of improved LED backlighting or a replacement for LCD/OLED technology. 
    Other content online explains mini LED is a bunch of smaller LED clusters for improved LCDs that mimic OLED but are not as good as OLED which are lit per pixel. 
  • Reply 23 of 28
    sloaahsloaah Posts: 28member
    It’s a bit of a shame that Apple didn’t hold off the XDR display until this year, so they could make better use of miniLED tech. 

As it stands, the XDR has unfortunately been poorly received within the film industry. The blooming makes it unusable for colour grading, whilst it’s price-tag makes it an extravagance for editors etc.

It’s similarly not much good for graphics design, where HDR is unnecessary but blooming causes a straight white line to become a glowing white line. 

If it had 1000 or 2000+ dimming zones, then it really would have been a game-changer. Instead it’s a dud. 
    likethesky
  • Reply 24 of 28
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    sirozha said:
    The 16" MacBook Pro is too big IMHO unless it's mostly used as a desktop replacement.
    Why do you keep posting this? It’s nearly the same dimensions or the 15.4” we’ve had for forever. 
    StrangeDayssuperkloton
  • Reply 25 of 28
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,997member
    sirozha said:
    The 16" MacBook Pro is too big IMHO unless it's mostly used as a desktop replacement. 14" MacBook Pro will be much better than 13" in usability. I still think that the 15" screen is the best size, though. Make a bezel-less 15" MacBook Pro, Apple and follow up with a 17" bezel-less MacBook Pro for those who need a very powerful machine. Then release a 13" bezel-less MacBook Air and be done with it. 13", 15", 17" all bezel-less.
    Different strokes. I found the 12” MacBook too small to be usable, and you evidently never saw any of the 17” windows laptops that started appearing several years ago - they were wide enough to have a full keyboard and a number pad plus extra space on the side. (And too wide to fit on the fold-down table on an airplane)
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 26 of 28
    14" MacBook Air pretty please?? 🙏🏻
  • Reply 27 of 28
    RadMaxRadMax Posts: 15member
    saarek said:
    Put me down for the 14.4” MacBook Pro. The keyboard in my 13” 2017 model keeps breaking, more fool me for having bought it I suppose!
    I agree. I absolutely hate the keyboard on my 2017 MBP. I've had it replaced once under warranty already. What a POS!
  • Reply 28 of 28
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,410member
    sirozha said:
    The 16" MacBook Pro is too big [for me] IMHO unless it's mostly used as a desktop replacement... I still think that the 15" screen is the best size [for me], though.
    2015 MBP
    0.61" H x 13.75" W x 9.48" D  4.02lbs

16" MBP
    0.64" H x 14.09" W x 9.68" D  4.3lbs

You're high. Baked. They're virtually the same size and very close in weight. It must be your diminutive size that makes the 16" MBP and certainly the 15" MBP as well, too big to be regularly used as a portable.

So I've amended your post to be accurate. There are probably another five or six people in the world that share your concern.

sirozha said:
    14" MacBook Pro will be much better [for me] than 13" in usability [for me]
    After my editing of your post for accuracy, I can't disagree with that statement. Further, I do agree [for me]. If this comes to pass, I'd expect the 14" to be only slightly larger in external dimensions than the 13" MBP, similar to the 15" vs 16" size difference. I could be very happy with that.