WWDC in jeopardy as Santa Clara issues new coronavirus guidance for tech giants

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
The County of Santa Clara on Thursday issued guidance in the wake of newly discovered COVID-19 cases, urging employers in the region, including tech giants Apple and Google, to postpone or cancel mass gatherings.

WWDC 2019
Apple's WWDC 2019 drew thousands of developers from around the world.

Santa Clara's public health department in a press release announced six new confirmed cases of the virus, brining the county total up to 20 people. In an attempt to prevent the spread of COVID-19, new guidance lists a number of recommendations for residents and employers living and working in the county's cities, including Cupertino, Mountain View, Palo Alto, San Jose and Sunnyvale.

Specifically, companies operating in the county are asked to suspend nonessential employee travel, minimize close employee contact at work, cancel large meetings and conferences, and urge employees to stay home when they are sick, among other measures.

Further, the department recommends postponing or canceling mass gatherings and large community events "where large numbers of people are within arm's length of one another." If a large gathering cannot be avoided, guidance calls on event planners to urge the sick or those at high risk for serious illness not to attend, find ways to provide visitors with ample physical space to avoid close contact, endorse "increased" hygiene, and keep public surfaces clean.

"We are making these recommendations to protect the most vulnerable members of our community from the virus, and slow its spread," said Dr. Sara Cody, Santa Clara's Public Health Officer. "We are continuously monitoring this evolving situation, and will issue new guidance if and when that is warranted."

The guidance arrives as Apple is expected to announce plans for this year's Worldwide Developers Conference. Traditionally held in June in and around the Bay Area of San Francisco, the annual convention typically involves keynotes, special events, technical sessions and other in-person happenings, and is attended by thousands of developers from around the world.

The Verge reported on Santa Clara's guidance earlier today.

A number of major international events have been canceled due to concerns surrounding the spread of COVID-19. Facebook in February nixed live portions of its annual F8 conference, GSMA canceled the Mobile World Conference in Barcelona, and Informa called off the 2020 Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. On Monday, Google and Adobe canceled in-person segments of Google Cloud Next 2020 and the Adobe Summit, while Google a day later scrubbed the live portion of Google I/O.

Apple is also taking steps to curb potential COVID-19 fallout and this week restricted employee travel to Italy and South Korea. The company also withdrew from SXSW 2020, where it planned to premiere three Apple TV+ originals.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm not too worried. Apple could still do WWDC as a remote event for both the keynote and sessions. This certainly affects a key benefit for developers that would be present at WWDC, but at least Apple's future plans for their OSes will still stay on track for an Autumn release.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 2 of 17
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    They could just do a Keynote at the Steve Jobs Theatre for media. The rest could be online sessions...maybe some kind of interactive session.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    How will I be able to see the next incrementally mediocre iPhone upgrade????
  • Reply 4 of 17
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    tyler82 said:

maybe buy an android phone?

gregoriusmBeatsrazorpittmay
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 528member
    Wgkrueger said:
    tyler82 said:

maybe buy an android phone?
    Hahahahahaha good one!

Beats
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 528member
    We don’t know what will be happening in May when planning would ramp up. Let’s just let Apple do what they think best for staff and developers. 
    Beats
  • Reply 7 of 17
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 496member
    Right now I think all bets are off. I don’t see Apple taking any chances here.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    MWC got cancelled but ISE went ahead as usual.

The root problem is the cost of logistics when faced with late cancellation. Most hope that May or June should see a natural reduction in risk but it isn't a guarantee, so erring on the side of caution is very much justified as is going ahead with the show. It is a tough call depending on how you look at it.

Personally, I think the middle ground would be to postpone the event and evaluate the situation in 6-8 weeks.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    The reality is only 6,000 people will not have a full in person experience, the typical attendance. The keynote is already broadcast live online to everyone. Here’s a chance for Apple to spend the effort on creating a more robust online interactive educational delivery method for their developers - can it be pulled off in time? If coronvirus is under control by June - a fallback could be regional sessions for developers at larger Apple Stores. They are one of the few tech companies that have physical stores throughout the world. It may not ‘be the same’ in 2020, but the event could become a better format for successive years - maybe the attendance will be 60,000 or even 600,000 across the globe at some point.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    avon b7 said:
    Personally, I think the middle ground would be to postpone the event and evaluate the situation in 6-8 weeks.
    WWDC is 12 weeks from now, in June. COVID-19 infections will either have decreased dramatically as the weather warms or we could be in deep trouble.

In the United States, there have been more than 225 confirmed cases with 14 deaths. 11 of those 14 deaths were in Washington. 8 of the 11 deaths in Washington have been linked to a nursing home, Life Care Center, in Kirkland, Washington. A majority of deaths in the United States have been immunocompromised individuals. These are the facts, draw your own conclusions.
    edited March 2020 razorpit
  • Reply 11 of 17
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    avon b7 said:

With your posting history I'm gonna guess those are WWDC wannabes. 
  • Reply 12 of 17
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:

Why not look it up yourself? Hi-tech trade fair. Same month as MWC and in Europe. This year it went ahead but with lower attendance due to coronavirus and weather issues. Even so, over 50,000 people still attended.

So far, no known health issues as a result of it going ahead.

I simply don't understand the 'WWDC wannabes' statement. WWDC is irrelevant in a health context. It could be any other international event and the considerations would be exactly the same. The final decision regarding the go ahead could swing either way depending on many factors. That is why I mentioned MWC and ISE.

edited March 2020
  • Reply 13 of 17
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    fahlman said:
    avon b7 said:
    WWDC is 12 weeks from now, in June. COVID-19 infections will either have decreased dramatically as the weather warms or we could be in deep trouble.

In the United States, there have been more than 225 confirmed cases with 14 deaths. 11 of those 14 deaths were in Washington. 8 of the 11 deaths in Washington have been linked to a nursing home, Life Care Center, in Kirkland, Washington. A majority of deaths in the United States have been immunocompromised individuals. These are the facts, draw your own conclusions.
    Facts? There's no facts in tech news reporting.  ;)
    Beats
  • Reply 14 of 17
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,347member
    avon b7 said:

The root problem is the cost of logistics when faced with late cancellation. Most hope that May or June should see a natural reduction in risk but it isn't a guarantee, so erring on the side of caution is very much justified as is going ahead with the show. It is a tough call depending on how you look at it.

I can see the difficulty for the Spanish Government making a call that will have any negative effect on tourism, but risk reduction is likely compromised by going ahead with the show.

Seattle is currently one of the small epicenters for the virus, and yet plans are still going forward for the Emerald City Comic-Con 2020:

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/events/dark-horse-comics-penguin-random-house-pulling-out-of-emerald-city-comic-con/

Seems to be foolish...
  • Reply 15 of 17
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:

Why not look it up yourself? Hi-tech trade fair. Same month as MWC and in Europe. This year it went ahead but with lower attendance due to coronavirus and weather issues. Even so, over 50,000 people still attended.

So far, no known health issues as a result of it going ahead.

I simply don't understand the 'WWDC wannabes' statement. WWDC is irrelevant in a health context. It could be any other international event and the considerations would be exactly the same. The final decision regarding the go ahead could swing either way depending on many factors. That is why I mentioned MWC and ISE.

There are TONS of wannabe Apple events. I cut the work but judging by your posting history instead.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,347member
    Just an update on the Emerald City Comic-Con; it's postponed until summer.
  • Reply 17 of 17

Obviously, this is a serious situation with no vaccine and undermined treatment. But put this in perspective everyone...

Last flu season - 35 million cases, 34 thousand deaths in the United States. About 500 deaths children!

I bet most people just shrug when they hear these serious numbers. 

Because annual flu season is always (as Heath Ledger’s Joker reminded us) something we all expect, it has ceased to be of intense focus or concern for most people. But people create a different reality with the Corona virus. Where was all this raiding of grocery stores and gouging by eBay sellers for the flu? (Are you one of the fools buying boxes and boxes of worthless masks?)  

It took about 5 to 6 weeks to for the number of new cases to level off in China, and they’ll recover and hopefully learn from their horrible mistakes. WWDC may not go on with a full audience, but we will come out fine. This is not the apocalypse.
    edited March 2020 Soli