Triple-camera iPad Pro, 'iPhone SE 2' Touch ID, HomeKit improvements appear in 'iOS 14' le...

Posted:
in iOS edited August 2020
The flood of new feature claims within iOS 14 continues, with the mobile operating system leaks allegedly confirming rumors about upcoming hardware including the iPad Pro refresh and the "iPhone SE 2," as well as a number of changes to HomeKit.

Apple is rumored to be preparing a number of hardware announcements in the coming months, including new models of iPad Pro alongside the long-anticipated "iPhone SE 2," among others. In reports published on Tuesday, an alleged code leak for iOS 14 has supposedly confirmed some of the rumors relating to Apple's potential launches.

iPad Pro and "iPhone SE 2" are supported in iOS 14

The iPad Pro lineup was previously rumored to have a triple-camera setup, which the code reportedly confirms. The cameras in question will be the same as the iPhone 11 Pro, in terms that they will consist of wide-angle, ultra-wide, and telephoto lenses.

The cameras will also be joined by the also-rumored time-of-flight sensor. While it has the potential usage for augmented reality applications, more practically it may be used by the rear cameras for enhanced focus and zooming, and to perform more computational photography by collecting 3D depth data of the scene ahead.

Details about the "iPhone SE 2" were also seemingly claimed, with the model said to sport Touch ID rather than using Face ID as previously rumored, along with adding support for Express Transit.

Apple TV and AirTags

A new model of Apple TV has previously surfaced in rumors, but the code is claimed to mention a new Apple TV remote. No real data about the remote's features or changes were offered, aside from it apparently existing.

A previous report covered mentions in the code of exercise and workout coaching on the set-top box.

The similarly-rumored "AirTags," Apple's Tile-like trackers, will allegedly have a user-replaceable battery. The code also suggests the accessories will be able to be configured in bulk, allowing multiple units to be set up by the user at the same time.

HomeKit in iOS 14

Night Shift, a feature in iOS that changes the color temperature of the display over the course of a day to ease a user's eyes, will apparently be coming to HomeKit. In cases where a smart bulb with color-changing functionality is in use, the bulb will be able to automatically and gradually adjust the color temperature through the day based on a schedule, with a similar ultimate purpose.

HomeKit Secure Video, added in iOS 13, offers some smart features for users, such as recognizing objects that appear in videos for easier searching through footage. In iOS 14, it is claimed the security feature will gain a face classification function, allowing it to identify individual people.

On the Apple TV, it is also claimed there will be a permanent option to enable a HomePod stereo pair to be used as the AirPlay 2 output for the set-top box.

Other leaks

The latest reports form part of a series of claims to have emerged from allegedly leaked code for iOS 14. Other earlier reports have mentioned how Siri may gain third-party voices, upgrades to the Messages app in macOS 10.16, PencilKit in iPadOS 14 enabling text recognition in any app, enhanced mouse support in iPadOS 14, and watch face sharing and kid modes in the "Apple Watch Series 6" and watchOS 7.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 171member

Details about the "iPhone SE 2" were also seemingly claimed, with the model said to sport Touch ID rather than using Face ID as previously rumored, along with adding support for Express Transit.
    I'm not exactly sure what the section in bold above (emphasis added) is referring too.  The original iPhone SE and, indeed all iPhones starting with the 6S, have supported this feature.
    Perhaps they are referring to the Express Transit cards with power reserve feature that debuted with the iPhone XS and XR.  This feature "enables you to quickly pay for rides and is available for up to five hours when your iPhone needs to be charged."

edited March 2020 cgWerkscaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    How many people use their iPad for serious photography projects? There might be a few, but iPhone Pro seems to be the standard.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    AppleInsider said:
    Hmm, well Touch ID would be nice, but I fear they'll mess up the form-factor. Hopefully, the whole rumor mill will be wrong and Apple will just make us another good SE with updated internals... otherwise I don't see the point of even making it (ie. they can just buy an iPhone 7, 8, etc.).

mbenz1962 said:
    I'm not exactly sure what the section in bold above (emphasis added) is referring too.  The original iPhone SE and, indeed all iPhones starting with the 6S, have supported this feature.
    Perhaps they are referring to the Express Transit cards with power reserve feature that debuted with the iPhone XS and XR.  This feature "enables you to quickly pay for rides and is available for up to five hours when your iPhone needs to be charged."
    Thanks, yeah. That seems to be what it is, and apparently it isn't something we have around here, as I've never heard of it before.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    How many people use their iPad for serious photography projects? There might be a few, but iPhone Pro seems to be the standard.
    that was exactly my question - in a pinch I've used it to take a pic of a slide being presented when I left my phone at my desk but I've never once taken a pic with my iPad the way I do with my phone...always seemed impractical. However, with that said, I can see the advantages if you're using it as a video camera and filming a scene. The bigger screen would def be a help in ensuring everything is framed correctly but I would think that's a small user group.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 5 of 7
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    It might be very useful for studio video, especially for interviews, and in education, even if it wasn't the primary source for images or video. Personally, my old eyes would benefit, and frankly, who gives a shit what people use to take videos or photos. Holding an iPad up is only marginally more annoying in a crowd than holding up any phone, unless I suppose, everyone is using iPad's, which would be pretty awesome in a stadium.

I put off buying a current iPhone 11 Pro Max because of the rumors of a TOF sensor in this fall's model, not at all because of 5G arriving, so if the happens to arrive in both the iPad Pro and the iPhone 12 Pro Max, I'll buy both with triple lenses. A small price to pay for a bit more capability.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    I'm ready for a newer Apple TV! It gets daily use in this household, we don't have cable otherwise so use it exclusively. But the remote is definitely not my favorite (I use a rubber sleeve which makes it more bearable)...love the touch-swiping and scrubbing on it tho, so an improved one is intriguing!
    edited March 2020 hentaiboy
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I think I might actually upgrade from the Apple TV 4K if a new one comes out, not because I need a new one, but because we have another TV we could put an Apple TV on and then I could get the new shiny one! The iPad Pro is definitely a buy, I just really hope that they go with an A14 processor instead of an A13.
    watto_cobra