Elon Musk uses iPhone email bug to illustrate the importance of software innovation

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,891member
    Dogperson said:
    Apple sure broke cookie blocking. The iOS around 8 worked prefectly. Absolutely cannot block 3rd party cookies anymore even with block all and donot track. 
    Still better than the alternative. 
    Looks like selective memory, my friend. People complain about bugs in every release, 8 was no different:

"Apple's iOS 8 Is Brimming With Bugs"

https://www.businessinsider.com/ios-8-bugs-and-issues-frustrating-users-2014-9
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 42 of 78
    sjworld said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Lol. His so-called “autopilot” software kills people. Glass house much?
    Tesla’s Autopilot is an extremely complex software to code, as compared to a basic ass email app that shouldn’t be having issues since it’s been in their iPhones since forever.
    If you don't believe iOS is extremely complex software (Mail is one part of it), then you have a naive view of software, or the software development process. It's complex, and bugs will happen. Point remains that Musk's own company has software troubles that have killed, thus his own company would make for a better example than some iOS mail bug. He is deluding himself.
    tmaycgWerks
  • Reply 43 of 78
    asdasd said:
    sflocal said:
    I admire what Musk does.  He's a rockstar in my book... but whatever Musk.  Maybe it's "fresh blood" engineers that are breaking the software?  Maybe it's not iOS that was buggy, but maybe identified a problem with Musk's email system?  Lot's of assumptions being made here.

Fresh blood is necessary in every industry.  Experience, especially of those that have been in the industry a while is even more preferred as far as I'm concerned. 
    It probably was fresh blood engineers. iOS was rock solid for years. 
    You do realize that our demands of what iOS is have increased, right? That it gets more and more complex every year, both in features and underlying architecture, right? If we could snap you back to iOS 6 you'd be miserable.
    tmay
  • Reply 44 of 78
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,355member
    Musk runs on the techical edge -- and obviously Wall Street disagrees with your assessment since Tesla recently passed GM & Ford in valuations.  And no major auto maker is able to make anything even in the same technical league as a Tesla.  In fact, Musk openly welcomes their coming competition.  To parrot Steve's famous Wall Street Journal ad:   "Welcome GM!   Seriously!"

And, wasn't that the same military who denied AWS by illegally granting a contract to Microsoft (since blocked by a judge)?  But, even if it wasn't the case, assuming that what they said was accurate, as I said, Musk is running on the edge of technology and they maybe wanted something a little less state of the art and more tried and proven.   I don't see them buying any electric cars or trucks anytime soon either. That's ok.

For building the CyberTruck:   I doubt he will have any trouble finding a place to build it.   If the U.S. f's him over he'll just go elsewhere.  He has plants in China and Europe.

But that's all simply business nonsense and of only passing importance. 
    Steve had little patience with it either.  Like Musk, he was focused on creating products that made the world and people's live better.

But I find it strange that you, a professional China hater, would be trash talking Musk.  Musk is probably our best competition against their technological advances  -- after all:  he not only designed and built a better car than they can produce, he even went over there and showed them how build it themselves -- something unheard of for the past 50 years or so.

You do know that the Chinese Government owns Tesla's plant in Shanghai, don't you?

"The Tesla (Shanghai) company was formally established 8 May 2018, with a share capital of 100 million yuan, wholly owned by Tesla Motors Hong Kong. In July 2018 Tesla CEO Elon Musk signed an agreement with the Shanghai regional government to build its third Gigafactory, and the first in China."

If Tesla models 3's turn out to be priced too high for the Chinese market, and that is likely, then where will they be sold, if not the U.S.? Lack of incentives, ie, EV tax credits will mean that Tesla has to 
    compete on price with a huge number of competitors.

Tesla's valuation is based on the myth of a "moat" that protects their market, but it doesn't exist. Still, buy lots of shares if you think it is worth it.

BTW, GM is in a very good position to take on Tesla, and at many different price points;

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/gm-to-spend-20-billion-on-new-electric-autonomous-vehicles.html
    • General Motors is taking on Tesla with its next generation of all-electric vehicles. 
    • The company plans to invest more than $20 billion in its next generation of all-electric and autonomous vehicles through 2025.
    • GM announced the new details during an “EV Day,” its hardest push yet to convince skeptics, particularly on Wall Street, that the more than 110-year-old automaker can compete.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 45 of 78

Apple hasn't innovated in software and hardware in years.
    Utterly laughable. Know any other good ones?!
    Dogperson
  • Reply 46 of 78

sflocal said:
    I admire what Musk does.  He's a rockstar in my book... but whatever Musk.  Maybe it's "fresh blood" engineers that are breaking the software?  Maybe it's not iOS that was buggy, but maybe identified a problem with Musk's email system?  Lot's of assumptions being made here.

Fresh blood is necessary in every industry.  Experience, especially of those that have been in the industry a while is even more preferred as far as I'm concerned. 

He's an overrated ass hat.
    He is the most important entrepreneur since Edison.
    Not even remotely true. Electric cars are a century old, and Teslas run on the same lithium battery tech as the rest of the world. His tunnels are tunnels to nowhere. And his rockets and (exploding) capsules are simply re-covering ground we already covered decades ago (yup, even the nifty landing rockets). 

Great marketer tho.
    edited March 2020 tmay
  • Reply 47 of 78

blastdoor said:
    Some people are so emotionally invested in Apple that any criticism is met with flamethrowers. But I think it's great to have some high-profile attention paid to software QA. 

It's GOOD that Musk uses Apple products. It's GOOD when prominent users push for higher quality. 
    It isn't about Apple, it's about the blatant hypocrisy. Why criticize an Apple email bug when Musk's own platform has killed people due to bugs? C'mon, it's absurd. 
    tmaycgWerks
  • Reply 48 of 78
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    sflocal said:

He is the most important entrepreneur since Edison.
    No, just the loudest.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 49 of 78
    I think in Apple’s case, new blood is the problem. 

A lot of veteran Apple employees have left since Cook took over. 
    The new ones don’t have enough understanding about how Apple’s software has worked historically and their managers are pushing them to get a product out the door so they don’t lose their bonus.

Apple Maps was a good example of how there wasn’t enough good talent to cobble all of those separate products together to make 1 app in the time allotted to the team. 
    Plus firing Forestall didn’t make the app any better, it just removed the last obstacle in making Job’s Apple into Cook’s Apple.

The interesting thing is that it seems that Apple
    now understands that it can’t rely just on the iPhone to carry the company. Last year is the first time I saw Apple update most of not all of their product lines at the same time in the same year.  They know that they have to have diversification if iPhone sales slump. 

With COVID-19 affecting everyone, it’s going to be interesting what Apple’s plans are this year when it comes to new products and the supply of existing ones. 
    cgWerks
  • Reply 50 of 78
    sjworld said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Tesla’s Autopilot is an extremely complex software to code, as compared to a basic ass email app that shouldn’t be having issues since it’s been in their iPhones since forever.
    If you don't believe iOS is extremely complex software (Mail is one part of it), then you have a naive view of software, or the software development process. It's complex, and bugs will happen. Point remains that Musk's own company has software troubles that have killed, thus his own company would make for a better example than some iOS mail bug. He is deluding himself.
    He hides behind the same logic that Apple does when it advertises the iPhone has water resistance.
    Apple advises you not to get the iPhone wet and it does not cover liquid damage under warranty.
    Tesla talks about autopilot as a feature as well and advises you not to use it as an automated system. 

Both boil down to a “kinda sorta” feature that may or may not work. Something I would have just avoided due to the misunderstanding of the explanation of the feature. 

People swim with their iPhones and let their Tesla drive them to work while they fidget on their smartphone and yet neither company goes out of its way to clear up any misconceptions. 
    cgWerks
  • Reply 51 of 78
    dewme said:
    This made me almost ROFL
    He claims that software decays over time

Lovely but so wrong. It is not the software that decays, it is the environment around the system that changes.
    Changes to external interfaces, be those electronic or human are the cause of many failures to software that has been working perfectly for years and years.
    A few months ago, I got a call from an old customer who said that a bit of software that I'd written for them had stopped working.
    My software was working fine but one of the external systems that it connected to had updated their protocol from V2 to V4. Had the external system vendor told my old customer about the change? Like **** they had.

It is easy for Elon to talk about software reliability but one update to my Model S in late 2018 was a total POS. Get your own house in order first Elon. Stop adding games and easter eggs to your computers on wheels. Just get rid of the bugs in your core systems first.
    I'm not like many Tesla Fanbois who want full self driving so that they can eat, sleep etc on their commute. I won't use it.
    Anyway this is rather moot as the lease to the 'S' is up in April and I'm not going to get another Tesla.
    It’s almost as funny as “By recruiting new talent, the tech industry might be able to solve software-related issues before general release. They also may be able to help retire old code bases in favor of creating newer, more stable ones.“

So you have a code base with a core that’s build on C or C++ code so you start scouring the “new talent” market and find that nobody coming out of college, tech schools, or self taught has any idea about how to properly write reliable, unmanaged code, i.e., code where the programmer has to meticulously manage every bit of memory allocation and cleanup and keep track of raw pointers. Try unleashing a Java, C#, or Python programmer on unmanaged code and set aside a couple of years to sit back and watch the fireworks. Elon is correct in noting that you can always throw away the old code base and create a new one using modern, managed code that’s happy in current huge memory footprint environments. Then try telling your stakeholders, including existing customers and program sponsors, that your going to do this and it’s going to cost them a lot of money, including significant hardware upgrades. Anyone who trivializes the complexity of developing solid code (preferably using S.O.L.I.D techniques) has obviously never written any code.
    Swift deserves a mention.
  • Reply 52 of 78
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    sflocal said:
    sflocal said:

Many people would say the exact same thing of Steve Jobs.  What's your point?

He made the electric car cool, and jumpstarted the U.S. rocket program.  Sure, he's as ass, but people of his caliber usually have to be.
    The creator of the EV was and is the CEO/Chairman of Lucid Motors who designed and led the creation of Tesla's first two vehicles.

https://www.lucidmotors.com

The LUCID AIR coming out this Fall craps all over anything Tesla has ever made.
  • Reply 53 of 78
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tmay said:
    Musk runs on the techical edge -- and obviously Wall Street disagrees with your assessment since Tesla recently passed GM & Ford in valuations.  And no major auto maker is able to make anything even in the same technical league as a Tesla.  In fact, Musk openly welcomes their coming competition.  To parrot Steve's famous Wall Street Journal ad:   "Welcome GM!   Seriously!"

And, wasn't that the same military who denied AWS by illegally granting a contract to Microsoft (since blocked by a judge)?  But, even if it wasn't the case, assuming that what they said was accurate, as I said, Musk is running on the edge of technology and they maybe wanted something a little less state of the art and more tried and proven.   I don't see them buying any electric cars or trucks anytime soon either. That's ok.

For building the CyberTruck:   I doubt he will have any trouble finding a place to build it.   If the U.S. f's him over he'll just go elsewhere.  He has plants in China and Europe.

Steve had little patience with it either.  Like Musk, he was focused on creating products that made the world and people's live better.

But I find it strange that you, a professional China hater, would be trash talking Musk.  Musk is probably our best competition against their technological advances  -- after all:  he not only designed and built a better car than they can produce, he even went over there and showed them how build it themselves -- something unheard of for the past 50 years or so.

You do know that the Chinese Government owns Tesla's plant in Shanghai, don't you?

"The Tesla (Shanghai) company was formally established 8 May 2018, with a share capital of 100 million yuan, wholly owned by Tesla Motors Hong Kong. In July 2018 Tesla CEO Elon Musk signed an agreement with the Shanghai regional government to build its third Gigafactory, and the first in China."

If Tesla models 3's turn out to be priced too high for the Chinese market, and that is likely, then where will they be sold, if not the U.S.? Lack of incentives, ie, EV tax credits will mean that Tesla has to 
    compete on price with a huge number of competitors.

Tesla's valuation is based on the myth of a "moat" that protects their market, but it doesn't exist. Still, buy lots of shares if you think it is worth it.

BTW, GM is in a very good position to take on Tesla, and at many different price points;

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/gm-to-spend-20-billion-on-new-electric-autonomous-vehicles.html
    • General Motors is taking on Tesla with its next generation of all-electric vehicles. 
    • The company plans to invest more than $20 billion in its next generation of all-electric and autonomous vehicles through 2025.
    • GM announced the new details during an “EV Day,” its hardest push yet to convince skeptics, particularly on Wall Street, that the more than 110-year-old automaker can compete.

Why would anybody outside of an accountant care who own the plant?   Many companies lease everything.  That's just finance.

And no, GM is NOT well postioned to take on Tesla.   Wake me up when they have a viable electric care that can take you further than the local grocery store.
  • Reply 54 of 78
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,355member
    tmay said:

If Tesla models 3's turn out to be priced too high for the Chinese market, and that is likely, then where will they be sold, if not the U.S.? Lack of incentives, ie, EV tax credits will mean that Tesla has to compete on price with a huge number of competitors.

Why would anybody outside of an accountant care who own the plant?   Many companies lease everything.  That's just finance.

And no, GM is NOT well postioned to take on Tesla.   Wake me up when they have a viable electric care that can take you further than the local grocery store.
    Wake Up! Wake the Fuck Up!

https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/bolt-ev

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/cadillac-lyriq-electric-suv-coronavirus-delayed-debut/

Proving yet again, how fucking out of touch you are!

Oh, and nothing wrong with the Chinese Communist Party owning the plant, just another group that will be on the hook when Tesla sales stall.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-gm-electric/gm-takes-aim-at-tesla-with-ultium-batteries-and-fleet-of-electric-vehicles-idUSKBN20Q2N2

"With its new Ultium battery technology, GM is on track to cut the battery cell costs - the single greatest expense in electric vehicles - to less than $100 per kilowatt-hour, Barra said. That would be down from about $140 now. 

That, in turn, could make battery packs - for electric vehicles like the Chevrolet Bolt EV - up to 45% cheaper, experts say. 

In a similar light, Musk, Tesla’s chief executive, told investors last month that the Silicon Valley automaker was working on battery cost and range breakthroughs that it would describe at a “Battery Day” in April. 

Instead of 555 internal combustion powertrain combinations, GM will be able to move to just 19 different electric vehicle propulsion systems, slashing costs, GM officials said. 

Barra reiterated a goal of selling 1 million electric vehicles annually in the United States and China by 2025."

edited March 2020
  • Reply 55 of 78
    DogpersonDogperson Posts: 145member
    Dogperson said:
    Apple sure broke cookie blocking. The iOS around 8 worked prefectly. Absolutely cannot block 3rd party cookies anymore even with block all and donot track. 
    Still better than the alternative. 
    Looks like selective memory, my friend. People complain about bugs in every release, 8 was no different:

"Apple's iOS 8 Is Brimming With Bugs"

https://www.businessinsider.com/ios-8-bugs-and-issues-frustrating-users-2014-9
    I should have made it clearer that I am referring specifically to the ability to block 3rd party cookies. Now nothing can be actually blocked. Yes I am sure all iOSes have bugs. 
    Not on F_c_book but always get about 6 from them and 8 from google. 
    Internet privacy has been on my radar since the early 90s 😡.
    I fear that ship has sailed never to return.
  • Reply 56 of 78
    sjworldsjworld Posts: 94member
    sjworld said:
    JFC_PA said:
    I’ve done enough coding in my life to know the complexities and differences between the two. Lecture someone else.

And it looks like you’ve got your hands full tonight, trying to defend Apple from all these folks. Go out and get some air so you don’t faint.
  • Reply 57 of 78
    dewme said:
    This made me almost ROFL
    He claims that software decays over time

Lovely but so wrong. It is not the software that decays, it is the environment around the system that changes.
    Changes to external interfaces, be those electronic or human are the cause of many failures to software that has been working perfectly for years and years.
    A few months ago, I got a call from an old customer who said that a bit of software that I'd written for them had stopped working.
    My software was working fine but one of the external systems that it connected to had updated their protocol from V2 to V4. Had the external system vendor told my old customer about the change? Like **** they had.

It is easy for Elon to talk about software reliability but one update to my Model S in late 2018 was a total POS. Get your own house in order first Elon. Stop adding games and easter eggs to your computers on wheels. Just get rid of the bugs in your core systems first.
    I'm not like many Tesla Fanbois who want full self driving so that they can eat, sleep etc on their commute. I won't use it.
    Anyway this is rather moot as the lease to the 'S' is up in April and I'm not going to get another Tesla.
    It’s almost as funny as “By recruiting new talent, the tech industry might be able to solve software-related issues before general release. They also may be able to help retire old code bases in favor of creating newer, more stable ones.“

So you have a code base with a core that’s build on C or C++ code so you start scouring the “new talent” market and find that nobody coming out of college, tech schools, or self taught has any idea about how to properly write reliable, unmanaged code, i.e., code where the programmer has to meticulously manage every bit of memory allocation and cleanup and keep track of raw pointers. Try unleashing a Java, C#, or Python programmer on unmanaged code and set aside a couple of years to sit back and watch the fireworks. Elon is correct in noting that you can always throw away the old code base and create a new one using modern, managed code that’s happy in current huge memory footprint environments. Then try telling your stakeholders, including existing customers and program sponsors, that your going to do this and it’s going to cost them a lot of money, including significant hardware upgrades. Anyone who trivializes the complexity of developing solid code (preferably using S.O.L.I.D techniques) has obviously never written any code.
    As a coder myself, I think the recruitment of "new talent" needs to include people who DO NOT have a coding or computer science background - those are the sort of people who may not understand the nuts and bolts of coding techniques but who absolutely understand the job that software has to perform. I've seen too many programmers who still don't understand the interface they are writing for.

That said, everyone who works in the industry NEEDS to come to grips with systems architecture. Management types who think they don't need to know the subject matter because they're "just managing people" invariably end up trying to set the direction of the product anyway - because that's part of what management is for - and while the ones who know they don't know anything will trust the tech guys who do, there are some who will think they know better. Sigh.

Elon's comment about throwing away older code bases is itself off-base. Look at UNIX, initially developed around 50 years ago and now the core of most of the world's operating systems. UNIX was developed with care and a great deal of forward planning, rigorously tested in theory before being tested in practice. Nobody is ever going to "retire" it because it was built to last by people who knew what they were doing and who were protected from the commercial drive to ship something even if it isn't up to snuff. You want to fix software, Elon? Use the well-known triad of "better-faster-cheaper" (choose any two) and convince people not to skip over the "better" part.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 58 of 78
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    tekfranz said:
    Apple just needs to purchase a well crafted email software startup...
    They sort of did... it was just a long time ago (it came from NeXT). Apple's Mail used to be excellent. They messed it up (like so many other apps that were once great).

Referencing Apple as an example of poor quality is dumb.
    If the shoe fits.... the problem is more the hypocrisy.

rain22 said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Nice ad-hom attack. (durrrr)
    Huh? You'll have to explain how you got to that.
    It was a pretty straight-forward statement, it seems to me. Autopilot literally has killed people. Which is a bit more serious than email glitches.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    FlaSheridn said:
    Or even how the software they’re replacing is supposed to work. My (extremely biased) opinion is less that “Apple is uniquely bad for releasing buggy software,” than that its relative decline has been greatest.
    Yeah, I think that is a really good point. It is almost like they put a new team on each project, who just produce their new, unique take on whatever particular app each year. And every year, those teams have less understanding of good UI design.

GeorgeBMac said:
    ... Both are extremely open in their criticism of what they see as second rate performance -- but it's not just criticism.  It arises from seeing stuff that can be done better and needs to be done better but is falling short of the mark.   In Steve's famous words:  "This is shit.  FIX IT!"
    From an employee:
    "There’s no question that Elon is very aggressive on his timelines, but frankly, that drives us to do things better and faster ... when Elon says something, you have to pause and not immediately blurt out, ‘Well, that’s impossible,’ or, ‘There’s no way we’re going to do that. I don’t know how.’ So you zip it, and you think about it, and you find ways to get that done..."
    The problem is that he doesn't seem to apply that to his own stuff the way Steve seemed to. I'd like to think Steve wouldn't have ever implemented Autopilot, or pulled the plug given the level of failure and human cost.

Also, Musk seems more talk than action. He's been over-hyping self-driving vehicles for years, with seemingly little understanding of the actual stat of AI and the industry. It's one thing to scare your employees not to say anything is impossible... it's kind of another to be so out of touch with reality that you actually think nothing is impossible.
  • Reply 60 of 78
    tmay said:

I think my main fear, is that the traditional car-markers are also too focused on all the AI baloney, where they should just be brining their car-making knowhow to EVs. I don't want something like a Tesla. I want something like my BMW E90 with an electric powertrain (Or, someone else probably wants their Ford F150 with an electric powertrain). Until some car-maker figures that out, they'll all have trouble getting beyond being novelty.