New MacBook Pro, MacBook Air with scissor switch keyboard coming in second quarter

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
Noted Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has tailored his expectations on when the scissor switch keyboard will arrive on the MacBook Air, and is predicting it and a new MacBook Pro model to ship with it in the second quarter of 2020.

2019 MacBook Air keyboard, with butterfly keyboard
2019 MacBook Air keyboard, with butterfly keyboard

In the research note, seen by AppleInsider, Kuo isn't clear about what exactly will be delivered spec-wise in the new units. It also isn't clear if Kuo is referring to the 14.1-inch MacBook Pro that he had previously discussed.

Kuo discussed the possibility of the 14.1-inch MacBook Pro, alongside a host of other products on March 3. That note was more about mini LED technology than anything else, also with no discussion about other specs.

Kuo first relayed predictions of Apple's expected move away from the four-year-old butterfly switch to more robust scissor switch keyboards in late July 2019, saying a new 16-inch MacBook Pro would be the first to benefit from the transition. That report noted all MacBook Pros available at the time, plus the new 16-inch model, -- and the 13-inch MacBook Air would eventually adopt scissor switch keys in 2020, a design to be carried forward into 2021.

The timetable for when the scissor switch keyboard would arrive on the 13-inch MacBook Pro and MacBook Air has been adjusted a few times. The new keyboard was first speculated to come to the 13-inch model and MacBook Air in November 2020.

At the time, the shipment window was the "middle of 2020."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Glad they are finally acknowledge that terrible keyboard.   
    chemengin1
  • Reply 2 of 5
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The scissor keyboard:  that was one of three reasons why I bought my grandson a new 2017 MacBook Air for Christmas.
    The other 2 reasons were:   I can upgrade the puny 128Gb SSD and Amazon had it marked down to $700.

Glad to see them getting back to basics and away from the technical marvels that don't best serve the needs of the users.

Now, they just have to get back to replaceable, upgradeable SSDs and memory (even if it is an Apple Store only upgrade).
    razorpitavon b7
  • Reply 3 of 5
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    ...and let us never speak of the butterfly keyboard again. 
    GeorgeBMacavon b7
  • Reply 4 of 5
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    No brainer.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    I just got the keyboard replaced on my 2018 MBP with the newer 2019 revision, and it's a bit quieter, which I like. Never disliked the feel/travel/etc on these, but had some key doubling happening and a display issue and went on vacation, so took the opportunity to get top case and display replaced. With any luck, this one is more reliable — the guy who I dropped it off with said he hadn't seen any of the 2019 rev keyboards returning. 

That said, I tried out the 16" MBP and the keyboard on that feels great too. A little less "poppy" if that makes sense. Honestly, I'd be happy with either but that one, with the hardware esc and inverted-T arrows — both not a big deal, but nice for touch typing — would be a win when I upgrade again.
    MplsP