Future iMac may be able to extend desktop onto nearby walls

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2023
Apple continues to explore ways of extending or improving the iMac, this time by working on integrated technology to extend the user's screen by projecting displays onto nearby surfaces such as walls.

Mockup using Apple's iMac photography to show how a possible future machine could utilize wall space around it.
Mockup using Apple's iMac photography to show how a possible future machine could utilize wall space around it.

Following its previous patent proposing an iMac made out of a single sheet of glass, Apple has now been granted a patent that could see Macs utilizing any wall space behind them to project an expanded display.

"Housing Structures and Input-Output Devices For Electronic Devices," argues that currently, a device's chassis "may be formed from materials that are unsightly or that hinder the operation of input-output devices."

Apple's proposed solution to "unsightly" materials, is to instead use the surfaces around a computer, such as a wall behind it. "In some arrangements," says the patent, "the electronic device may be provided with projecting displays that help enhance the area used for providing a user with visual output."

While the patent's drawings show a regular iMac projecting information behind it, the descriptions also speak of reducing how much such a device would get in the way of its own projection.

"The rear housing wall may have a glass portion or other transparent structure through which projectors project images onto nearby surfaces and through which image sensors and other optical sensors receive light," continues the patent.

That could just mean that the back of the iMac is glass, but Apple suggests that the aim is to effectively make the Mac invisible. The parts of the projected screen that are blocked by the Mac could be shown on the Mac's screen instead.

Detail from the patent showing how an iMac could project onto walls or the side of the machine.
Detail from the patent showing how an iMac could project onto walls or the side of the machine.

"Although portions... cannot be viewed directly, a camera on the rear of device or other image sensor circuitry may capture an image that contains portions... and this image may be displayed in real time on display in alignment with the locations of the blocked portions," it says.

This patent regarding projection is credited to Paul X. Wang and Joshua P. Song, both of whom were also listed as inventors on the patent application describing an iMac made out of one single glass sheet.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    DaRevDaRev Posts: 28member
    If this ever comes to be, it will be a huge change to the iMac and the display industry at large.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Hate to sound negative but for a company that nowadays barely brings anything new to market this is highly unlikely. More likely is that they patent everything in sight so they can license to other companies.
    michelb76jeffharriswilliamlondondewme
  • Reply 3 of 14
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Hate to sound negative but for a company that nowadays barely brings anything new to market this is highly unlikely. More likely is that they patent everything in sight so they can license to other companies.
    Apple as a NPE? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    This is ridiculously niche.  Apple would never do it.
    macplusplusDancingMonkeysjeffharris
  • Reply 5 of 14
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Costly.

I see this as more of a way to extend the desktop without having multiple desktops.  Like throwing a window to the side without distracting from a desktop switch. 

Windows waiting in the wings, so to speak. 
  • Reply 6 of 14
    It would be interesting to have proximity sensors in the back, so the imac can detect when you are trying to reach the ports and automatically activate a see-through mode where you can see your hand and the location of each port. It would be very apple-like to have something like that instead of moving the ports to a more convenient location
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    New Macs, new phones, new tablets, new watches, new accessories... And many of of the new iterations (Apple is long known for iterative development) often has new technology elements, even if not obvious to end users. 

You aren’t suggesting a company has to invent new product categories every year to be innovative, right?
    edited March 2020 am8449watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 14
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    I could see this feature being useful for seeing other "Spaces" (virtual desktops) in full size, rather than the small thumbnails that we are presented with in the current MacOS implementation. But I doubt that Apple would invest this much tech and at the same time raising the cost of the iMac for a single feature.

Coming at this invention from another angle, if the projected image were of really high quality, and the surface it were projected on very suitable, then I could see an iMac or even a MacBook replacing the need for a large screen TV for watching video content. This is one problem I have with using a MacBook as my largest format media consuming device, not being able to watch things on a large screen. However, having the feature referenced in this patent would solve this problem.
    edited March 2020 watto_cobradewme
  • Reply 9 of 14
    CelTanCelTan Posts: 46member
    1) This does not fit in may office spaces where iMacs are present, often they stand on a desk with no wall behind - so I don't think this is something that will happen (soon) - unless Apple comes up with a way to project in mid-air. 2) Queue accessory makers creating snap on projection panels 😎
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,702member
    While cool, I doubt apple will ever build rejectors into the back of an iMac. The expense would be ridiculous. Then there is the laser element which will go bad in a number of years. It will last a long time, but not really the life of the iMac. 

If they did small LED projectors, it would be better, but the expense would still be an issue. 

Then there’s the heat buildup. Even with LEDs, pushing the light creates heat. Cooling a computer in a small housing is issue enough. Add projector heat and you’re in trouble. 

Neat concept. Good patent to have - especially so the “first!” Tv companies and gaming monitor people can pay you royalties. But not really going to work in an all day every day computer. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 14
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,145member
    Wow my first sense is this could be really great...

Could this also allow headless macs (mini) or portables to offer AV projection both indoors and out ?

The Apple TV that never was may finally land...?

williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 14
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,841member
    Apple doesn’t license anything important to anyone, except some cable tech? Most of the patents that Apple has are, or seem to be mainly defensive in nature.

Instead of a projection type display, why not bring back target display mode and incorporate that feature into their current iMac and all future iMac’s.
    edited April 2023
  • Reply 13 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    It seems to me that this would be far more useful in a portable device, like a MacBook Pro, to project screens directly from the Mac to a flat surface (or two) without needing a separate projector. Instead of needing a second monitor or two on your desk to use when your MacBook Pro is docked, you'd simply need a flat surface or two, like miniature Drive-In movie theater screens on your desk. The required screens would be a whole lot cheaper than monitors and could be part of your office partitions or even window shades.

Isn't this basically a matter of putting one or more movable miniature projectors into your computers integrated display? What am I missing?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    DaRev said:
    If this ever comes to be, it will be a huge change to the iMac and the display industry at large.
    I can see a desktop computer becoming essentially a nice screen with a slot you insert your iPhone into. Call it...mac duo?