All Chinese Apple Stores to reopen Friday, but with reduced hours

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
Apple is set to reopen all 42 Apple Stores in China after a month-long closure due to fallout from the coronavirus pandemic, though nearly every outlet in the region will operate under reduced hours for the foreseeable future.

Apple Center 66 Wuxi
Apple Center 66 Wuxi will return to regular operating hours on Saturday.

The Cupertino tech giant in a statement to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman on Thursday said all Chinese retail locations will open for business on Friday local time.

Apple's regional retail website provides confirmation of the reopening, but notes all stores are subject to reduced hours on March 12. On Saturday, Apple Center 66 in Wuxi is scheduled to return to normal operating hours, with Apple Chaoyang Joy City and Apple Tahoe Plaza expected to follow suit on Thursday, March 19.

It appears the remaining 39 Apple Stores will see limited hours until further notice.

Apple first began to shutter its retail outlets in January as the company assessed the new coronavirus situation, then considered an outbreak originating in Wuhan. A country-wide closure of stores, corporate offices and call centers followed in February, with Apple's efforts closely mirroring those of the Chinese government.

Stores began to reopen in mid-February, with 29 locations operational as of Feb. 24. That number has steadily increased over the past two weeks.

As China returns to a somewhat typical schedule, Apple closed its retail fleet in Italy this week as government officials put the country on lockdown. Behind China, Italy is the worst hit from the COVID-19 pandemic and on Thursday reported 12,462 confirmed cases with 827 deaths.

In addition to store closures, Apple has adopted worldwide policies designed to minimize the spread of the virus. Today at Apple sessions have been canceled at certain high-traffic locations, while employees are urged to stay at least one meter away from coworkers and customers. Further, available seating has been cut in half and workers are being told not to offer demonstrations of Apple Watch and AirPods unless specifically requested by potential buyers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    I'm still wondering what reduced hours is supposed to accomplish. It seems to me that would just result in more crowded stores, thus increasing the likelihood of viral transmission.
    zoetmb
  • Reply 2 of 16
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    bonobob said:
    I'm still wondering what reduced hours is supposed to accomplish. It seems to me that would just result in more crowded stores, thus increasing the likelihood of viral transmission.
    More time for cleaning without overworking the employees?

on another note: a sign (all stores opening) this thing is beatable?
    edited March 2020 fastasleep
  • Reply 3 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JFC_PA said:
    bonobob said:

on another note: a sign this thing is beatable?
    Unknown since we can't trust what the Chinese government says. We apparently can't trust what the U.S. government says either.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    lkrupp said:
    We apparently can't trust what the U.S. government says either.
    I, personally, believe this statement is not helpful.

The Chinese government covered up for a situation Much Worse than they admitted.

The U.S. government (yesterday's presidential address in particular) was too conservative in that, with clarification, the situation was Much Better than the initial impression (Goods can still flow from Europe. U.S. citizens return after testing, etc.). So, in the most general way, I trust what the U.S. government says, regarding COVID-19.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    lkrupp said:
    JFC_PA said:
    bonobob said:

on another note: a sign this thing is beatable?
    Unknown since we can't trust what the Chinese government says. We apparently can't trust what the U.S. government says either.
    Though It’s Apple announcing its opening the stores not the Chinese government. 
    mwhiteGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 16
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    This is very good news. It shows that the danger can be reduced or even over. This gives hope to people in places like Italy where they’re living now what people in China lived until now. Apple made this decision based on the information it had. No one imposed it on them. 
    GeorgeBMacsdw2001
  • Reply 7 of 16
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    fred1 said:
    This is very good news. It shows that the danger can be reduced or even over. This gives hope to people in places like Italy where they’re living now what people in China lived until now. Apple made this decision based on the information it had. No one imposed it on them. 
    "until now"? They have their populations under severe monitoring and control. I'm sure that's a factor here.

"Over"? This shit is about to blow up in other countries like the US, where we have been dragging our feet on shutting things down just like how Italy got where it is a few weeks ahead of us. 
    edited March 2020 zoetmb
  • Reply 8 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    h2p said:
    lkrupp said:

The Chinese government covered up for a situation Much Worse than they admitted.

The U.S. government (yesterday's presidential address in particular) was too conservative in that, with clarification, the situation was Much Better than the initial impression (Goods can still flow from Europe. U.S. citizens return after testing, etc.). So, in the most general way, I trust what the U.S. government says, regarding COVID-19.

LOL...  The WhiteHouse has classified their and the CDC's discussions & planning of how to deal with the virus. (What are they hiding?)

This not only restricts the public dissemination of necessary information but prevents some of the leading scientists and researchers from participating and contributing to the effort.  Obviously that is illegal because its illegal to falsely classify information under fake national security concerns.   But, in this White House it has become standard procedure.

Meanwhile, despite a slow start in recognizing a previously unkown illness, there is zero evidence that China has covered up anything.  In fact, it appears that they have been completely open and candid about it.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    h2p said:
    lkrupp said:

LOL...  The WhiteHouse has classified their and the CDC's discussions & planning of how to deal with the virus. (What are they hiding?)

This not only restricts the public dissemination of necessary information but prevents some of the leading scientists and researchers from participating and contributing to the effort.  Obviously that is illegal because its illegal to falsely classify information under fake national security concerns.   But, in this White House it has become standard procedure.

Meanwhile, despite a slow start in recognizing a previously unkown illness, there is zero evidence that China has covered up anything.  In fact, it appears that they have been completely open and candid about it.
    What planet do you live on?  You accuse the admin and CDC of hiding information because they classify discussions, but you trust China and say they aren't hiding anything? I mean one...it's China and you're crazy if you even think that.  Two, you're lying about "false classification."  Three....China has lied about this from the first moment.  They hid the origin, the spread, the response, blocked whistleblowers, everything.  
    fastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Personally I think this is a good sign.  If China is getting back up to speed after two months of this, we can do it.   
  • Reply 11 of 16
    h2p said:
    lkrupp said:

I certainly trust it more than China.  
  • Reply 12 of 16
    sdw2001 said:
    h2p said:
    lkrupp said:

What planet do you live on?  You accuse the admin and CDC of hiding information because they classify discussions, but you trust China and say they aren't hiding anything? I mean one...it's China and you're crazy if you even think that.  Two, you're lying about "false classification."  Three....China has lied about this from the first moment.  They hid the origin, the spread, the response, blocked whistleblowers, everything.  
    Yeh, I do trust China more than I trust the Trump administration.
    The last I heard he was on lie #15,000 since taking office -- but that was weeks ago.  I'm sure that he's well past that by now.  And his administration has a paranoid fear of leaks as well as declaring anything and everything classified in order to keep the American people in the dark.   So yeh -- that fits his pattern closely.

Conversely, I have heard or seen no evidence of China hiding anything or lying about the virus -- except for the ongoing right wing conspiracy theories which are prolific.

• Reply 13 of 16
    sdw2001 said:
    h2p said:
    lkrupp said:

I live on this planet.   As for Trump, that is less certain.   From Reuters:
    "The coronavirus is not as bad as the seasonal flu. President Donald Trump is not worried about having had a direct exposure to the virus. The United States is in far better shape than other countries.

Those are some of the messages from Trump to the American public in recent days.

They are textbook examples of disastrous communication during disease outbreaks, according to some researchers into the psychology of pandemics "

From Trump we get lies and misdirection.
    From China we got effective action

And yes, even the Trump sycophants participating in the virus meetings have confirmed that they are classified under national security guidelines.  So, what are they hiding from us?

Yeh, I'll go with China -- till we can say to Trump:   "You're FIRED!"

• Reply 14 of 16
    sdw2001 said:
    h2p said:
    lkrupp said:

"The coronavirus is not as bad as the seasonal flu. President Donald Trump is not worried about having had a direct exposure to the virus. The United States is in far better shape than other countries.

Those are some of the messages from Trump to the American public in recent days.

They are textbook examples of disastrous communication during disease outbreaks, according to some researchers into the psychology of pandemics "

And yes, even the Trump sycophants participating in the virus meetings have confirmed that they are classified under national security guidelines.  So, what are they hiding from us?

Well you're welcome to support whomever you like.  But taking China's word over the President and the U.S. government is pure lunacy.  There's no way around it.  It's straight up crazy.  China is a Communist dictatorship that just accused the U.S. Military of bringing the virus to China.  They are denying it even started there.  Their story constantly shifted and they withheld notification for nearly 30 days.  Once your political views and hatred for the President cause you to believe the the communist Chinese government, you know you've got a problem.  

• Reply 15 of 16
    sdw2001 said:
    sdw2001 said:
    h2p said:
    lkrupp said:

Well you're welcome to support whomever you like.  But taking China's word over the President and the U.S. government is pure lunacy.  There's no way around it.  It's straight up crazy.  China is a Communist dictatorship that just accused the U.S. Military of bringing the virus to China.  They are denying it even started there.  Their story constantly shifted and they withheld notification for nearly 30 days.  Once your political views and hatred for the President cause you to believe the the communist Chinese government, you know you've got a problem.  

No, quite the opposite:  Our wanna be dictator has been shown to have told over 15,000 lies since squatting in our WhiteHouse.  

Because a country has a different form of government does not make them evil -- unless you believe right wing conspiracy theories -- like the ones they have floated about China and the virus.

As for China getting a slow start:  That's mostly just another right conspiracy theory.  The truth is that suddenly something previously completely unknown, but resembling previous infections surfaced.  So, of course they were slow to recognize it and the severity of it.  But, once they did, they took strong and effective action and were very transparent about it.

Contrast that with our own wanna be dictator:  he knew for 3 months that it was coming and DID NOTHING!   Actually, worse than nothing -- he refused the testing kit technology that every other country accepted from the WHO.  And, when the virus finally did strike here he not only marginalized it (more lies) but held secret discussions on it in a classified setting -- likely because he was only concerned about the stock market and how a decline would affect his chances at reelection and staying out of jail.

No, I am sorry.   It's not about believing our government over the Chinese government.   It's about believing a serial liar, a man seemingly incapable of telling the truth (particularly about this threat to our people), over a country who has been open and honest about the threat of this virus.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    fred1 said:
    "until now"? They have their populations under severe monitoring and control. I'm sure that's a factor here.

"Over"? This shit is about to blow up in other countries like the US, where we have been dragging our feet on shutting things down just like how Italy got where it is a few weeks ahead of us. 
    I guess you didn’t understand what I wrote. When I mention the danger of getting sick from this virus being “or even over” (not that it’s gone, but yes, one day this will be behind us) I was talking about the illness itself, not the social consequences. The same goes for the use of “until now”. You’d do well to read more carefully and even try to understand what others write before you dismiss it in this way.