iOS 14 code suggests 'iPhone SE 2' may be joined by larger 'Plus' model

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    cgWerks said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    no, the point is to keep the supply chain on the old line going for a couple more years to fill in the price umbrella
    But they already sell iPhone 8 (and rather recently, 7). I suppose those now need updated chips to compete, even at low prices?
    iPhone 8 is three years old now, that's on the very edge of being discontinued. The iPhone X was already discontinued when the 10S came out, so there's no three-year-old unit to fill that vacuum this fall.
    edited March 2020 cgWerks
  • Reply 22 of 26
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    tommy65 said:
    This is not the iPhone SE2 but the iPhone 9 & Plus replacing the iPhone 8 and 8 Max. If Apple should ever replace the iPhone SE it should have the same dimensions as the iPhone SE with a larger screen and Touch-ID on the same spot as the power button or under the screen period. 
    This ^ all this, and especially what I bolded. With the mention of the Plus, I thought for a second that the SE size might be preserved. Then with tommy's mention of the 8 Max, my hopes were destroyed like a dove flying into a wood chipper.

There's no way an SE-sized phone could have any of the current performance features. The 8 might be able to be upgraded to a full screen with FaceID but I don't see Apple spending the money. For those who feel the SE was about low price, full screen and FID would never be a consideration. But an 8-based iPhone 9 will be smaller than any of today's Apple offerings.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    jcs2305 said:
    Is the SE about size or low price?
    Good question. Apple has blurred those factors (purposely)? They know there is a market for the form-factor, but I'm not sure they care about that. We kind of got a two-fer with the current SE, but we'll never know how big the markets are for the form-factor. I guess we have some idea of the 'cheap phone' markets due to the older 7, 8, etc. being sold, but again, w/o the latest tech, they blur the line again.

dewme said:
    You forget the "If" before the second sentence. I'm not discounting the appeal of a one-handed phone, but I believe the "SE" is all about providing a modern (from an iOS and app compatibility standpoint) Apple device that that has very good performance at a lower cost.
    Isn't that an iPhone 8 though? They could just stuff the latest chip in it. From the rumors, that seems what they are going to do.

dewme said:
    If Apple was really intentional about building a smaller form factor phone it could certainly build a premium one that does not compromise anything performance wise to its larger siblings. Of course this would likely command a premium price to offset the engineering and manufacturing challenges of putting so much into such a small package.   
    Yes, and that is the phone many of us want. But, I'm not sure why it would need to be so re-engineered. Those of us who like that form-factor seem quite happy with the SE. If Apple were to just stuff the latest things into it (ie. latest A-chip, good camera, newest Touch ID), most of us would be totally thrilled.

iOS_Guy80 said:
    If indeed there is a large model who cares just buy the smaller version different strokes for different folks.
    Because it sounds like the smaller model is going to be considerably bigger than the current SE.

mattinoz said:
    If they move to Touch ID under glass and solid state like the 8 they have buckets of room to make more compact device with the same screen sizes. 
    Yeah, and I suppose I'd take that, but I'd actually prefer a bit of border. The 'chin' on the SE is actually quite useful to grab it by/hold it at times. Maybe touch-rejection works incredibly well? But, I'm doubting it.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Eric_WVGG said:
    iPhone 8 is three years old now, that's on the very edge of being discontinued. The iPhone X was already discontinued when the 10S came out, so there's no three-year-old unit to fill that vacuum this fall.
    Yeah, and I'd rather see Apple go that direction. They really shouldn't be selling old stuff at reduced pricing, as that just gives a shorter lifespan and hurts the user-experience/image. So, that makes sense.... just don't make it be the SE replacement, because it isn't.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    cgWerks said:

They really shouldn't be selling old stuff at reduced pricing, as that just gives a shorter lifespan and hurts the user-experience/image.
    LOL someone better let them know that those millions of people who've bought older Macs and iPhones didn't like the experience/image.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    fastasleep said:
    LOL someone better let them know that those millions of people who've bought older Macs and iPhones didn't like the experience/image.
    I'm sure they know. They've just prioritized cash over that.