Apple Park employees told to shelter in place as San Francisco enacts coronavirus lockdown...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
Six counties in the San Francisco Bay Area issued a shelter in place mandate to residents on Monday in an effort to stop the spread of COVID-19, likely impacting employees at Apple Park in Cupertino, Calif.

The shelter-in-place orders impact nearly 7 million Bay Area residents, including Apple employees in Santa Clara County.
The shelter-in-place orders impact nearly 7 million Bay Area residents, including Apple employees in Santa Clara County.

Wider containment measures were instituted on Monday when officials issued shelter in place orders for the counties of San Francisco, Marin, Santa Clara, San Mateo, Alameda and Contra Costa, according to the Associated Press.

Those orders advise residents to venture outside only for necessities for three weeks starting Tuesday. They don't, however, apply to people who provide "essential services," such as those in public safety, sanitation or the medical field.

The order impacts nearly 7 million residents and includes Apple's headquarters of Cupertino, which is located in Santa Clara County, as well as the city of Berkeley.

Previous local government mandates barred large gatherings, but the rapid spread of COVID-19 has prompted companies in the Bay Area have to encouraged employees to work from home.

California has at least 335 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and six confirmed deaths due to the virus. Gov. Gavin Newsom on Monday also called on residents age 65 or older and other high-risk populations to isolate at home, the Sacramento Bee reported.

Los Angeles also issued a lockdown order instructing many businesses to close. In San Diego, California's second-largest city, the Superior Court has begun telling potential jurors to ignore their summons.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    And restaurants, bars etc., have been ordered to shut down where I am located, but I am going outside soon to get some take out, because they havent shut that down yet.

To be honest, I'm not that worried about this whole thing, though I am prepared and am well stocked up on all sorts of items. I even had some masks lying around that I had before the virus ever came, but I'm not using those when I go outside, because I think it looks ridiculous. We're not talking about the black plague here.

Nothing will stop me from getting my Indian food for dinner tonight.

hodarswat671
  • Reply 2 of 22
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    apple ][ said:
    And restaurants, bars etc., have been ordered to shut down where I am located, but I am going outside soon to get some take out, because they havent shut that down yet.

To be honest, I'm not that worried about this whole thing, though I am prepared and am well stocked up on all sorts of items. I even had some masks lying around that I had before the virus ever came, but I'm not using those when I go outside, because I think it looks ridiculous. We're not talking about the black plague here.

1) Hopefully looking ridiculous shouldn't play into it. If you do have to be around people -and- you are sick -and/or- you are immunocomprised, then a mask may be a reasonable precaution.

2) I went into Home Depot in late January to buy a replacement 3M 6001 cartridges for the crew working on my home improvements. I do the precision stuff myself but hire out for the grunt work, like sanding off all the old paint. They were out of everything. I was able to still find them on Amazon (at a normal price) so I bought them there. I guess I need to have some backups of those, too, in my emergency pack.

3) Indian food take out? If that's what everyone is earring then it's no wonder everyone is buying up all the TP. :smiley: 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    ...wondering if grocery stores will be considered 'essential services'?
    doozydozenSoundJudgment
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Soli said:
    apple ][ said:

1) Hopefully looking ridiculous shouldn't play into it. If you do have to be around people -and- you are sick -and/or- you are immunocomprised, then a mask may be a reasonable precaution.

2) I went into Home Depot in late January to buy a replacement 3M 6001 cartridges for the crew working on my home improvements. I do the precision stuff myself but hire out for the grunt work, like sanding off all the old paint. They were out of everything. I was able to still find them on Amazon (at a normal price) so I bought them there. I guess I need to have some backups of those, too, in my emergency pack.

3) Indian food take out? If that's what everyone is earring then it's no wonder everyone is buying up all the TP. :smiley: 
    1) I agree that if anybody is sick or has any symptoms, then they should be taking precautions so that they don't infect others. If anybody is sick though, then they shouldn't even be going outside. They should isolate inside.

2) Yes, there have been insane amounts of hoarding these past few weeks and many places are sold out of many items. Amazon and ebay have basically banned the selling of many types of items related to the virus, because of price gouging. There was some moron who had bought 17,000 bottles of hand sanitizer who tried to sell them on ebay, to of course inflated prices and ebay banned them, so the moron is stuck with his 17,000 bottles.

3) I love Indian food, though I don't eat it all that often. I am well stocked up on TP though, so no worries here.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    DJUpDJUp Posts: 1member
    apple ][ said:

It's not about you.
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    DJUp said:
    It's not about you.
    If it's not about me, then who is it about? I am of course talking about my own experience and my own perspective.

For others, it's about them, and for me, it's about me.
    ITGUYINSDhodar
  • Reply 7 of 22
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    ...wondering if grocery stores will be considered 'essential services'?
    Yes, grocery stores are exempt. So are certified farmers markets, convenience stores, restaurants (for meal pickup only). Pet food stores. The butcher. The fishmonger. The bakery.

You can see the text of one county's health order here.

Essential businesses also include hardware stores, office supply stores, UPS Stores, auto repair, and many others.

In a nutshell, basically they are telling people not to going out for leisure or recreational activities. Golfing? Against these regulations. Riding your bike for fun or exercise? Not permitted. Riding your bike to the grocery store for a dozen eggs? Permissible.
    doozydozenavon b7
  • Reply 8 of 22
    YvLyYvLy Posts: 89member
    apple ][ said:
    DJUp said:
    It's not about you.
    If it's not about me, then who is it about? I am of course talking about my own experience and my own perspective.

For others, it's about them, and for me, it's about me.
    Priceless. This says it all.
    MplsP
  • Reply 9 of 22
    If you take the time to look at the 2018-2019 flu season statistics, you'd see that in CA, we had 30-50 flu-related deaths PER WEEK!  Why didn't we "lockdown" then?  Is the media blowing this out of proportion?  I saw during the 2018-2019 flu season that in the US, 80,000 people died!  Did we shutter businesses, stop travel, and basically turn everyones life upside down?  Did financial markets collapse?  

It's amazing that in past years, all the flu-related deaths we had, and nothing changed in our day-to-day lives except taking precautions and washing your hands.

Yet now, the numbers are much lower with COVID-19 and look what we're doing.  I'm trying to make sense of it.

• Reply 10 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    If you take the time to look at the 2018-2019 flu season statistics, you'd see that in CA, we had 30-50 flu-related deaths PER WEEK!  Why didn't we "lockdown" then?  Is the media blowing this out of proportion?  I saw during the 2018-2019 flu season that in the US, 80,000 people died!  Did we shutter businesses, stop travel, and basically turn everyones life upside down?  Did financial markets collapse?  

It's amazing that in past years, all the flu-related deaths we had, and nothing changed in our day-to-day lives except taking precautions and washing your hands.

Yet now, the numbers are much lower with COVID-19 and look what we're doing.  I'm trying to make sense of it.
    It’s real simple, it’s about curbing an upcoming influx of patients to local hospitals. If they come in all at once the hospitals can’t handle that many patients and don’t have enough respirators to save everyone and will have to triage, which they don’t want to have to do. So we’re slowing it down and spreading it out. Aka, flattening the curve. The respirators constraint wasn’t an issue for flu patients. 

Saving these lives is worth you not being able to go the movies. Or me going to the gym. It’s a temporary inconvenience. 

edited March 2020 tmaybaconstangmuthuk_vanalingamfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    ITGUYINSD said:

The case fatality rate (CFR) of this novel Coronavirus is generally considered to be a factor of 10 or more higher than for seasonal flu. Seasonal Flu is typically 0.1 percent and so far, the best case for the Coronavirus is 0.7% in China but outside of Hubie province.

Italy is currently experiencing an 8 percent rate, which shows what happens when there is limited ICU beds and ventilators, which is wy "flatten the curve" is necessary. 
    edited March 2020 doozydozenbaconstangmuthuk_vanalingamfastasleepStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 22
    ITGUYINSD said:

Seattle is already being inundated by a wave of very ill COVID-19 patients. They only have 12 ECMO (extracorporal membrane Oxygenation ) machines in the city that are being used as a last ditch effort to save those that are not improving while on a ventilator. Because of this, they're already triaging patients to expectant if they're over the age of 45 or have a BMI of greater than 25. COVID-19 is more infectious than the seasonal influenza and has a mortality estimated to be about 10 times that of seasonal influenza. There's also not enough critical care physicians, nurses, masks, and gowns available to adequately treat all of the numbers of sick patients that are coming in. This is a repeat of what is happening in Italy and the US is about 17 days behind where Italy currently is. 
    baconstangfastasleepStrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 22
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Hello everyone.

Microsoft has released a great COVID-19 tracking page.
    https://www.bing.com/covid

Stay safe.

FYI:  Amazon delivery’s are taking a really really long time to deliver.  One part of my March 6th order still hasn’t arrived yet, so plan ahead.  They’re also out of stock of many things...
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Hello everyone.

Stay safe.

FYI:  Amazon delivery’s are taking a really really long time to deliver.  One part of my March 6th order still hasn’t arrived yet, so plan ahead.  They’re also out of stock of many things...
    I don't think it's that great, because it's not accurate at all.

When you look at the USA, there's only one small dot on it somewhere in the midwest. And I checked other countries too, and the dots are either missing or not accurate at all.

When I click on USA, this is what I see:

United States
    Total Confirmed Cases
    Active cases
    Recovered cases
    Fatal cases

Regarding Amazon, yeah, they're getting hammered now and I saw on the news that they're looking to hire thousands of extra delivery people, and yes, certain items are simply out of stock.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Nice that the governor order the elderly people(65+) to stay in their homes!  This will save a lot of lives since they are so feeble!
  • Reply 16 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gym-rat said:
    ITGUYINSD said:

Seattle is already being inundated by a wave of very ill COVID-19 patients. They only have 12 ECMO (extracorporal membrane Oxygenation ) machines in the city that are being used as a last ditch effort to save those that are not improving while on a ventilator. Because of this, they're already triaging patients to expectant if they're over the age of 45 or have a BMI of greater than 25. COVID-19 is more infectious than the seasonal influenza and has a mortality estimated to be about 10 times that of seasonal influenza. There's also not enough critical care physicians, nurses, masks, and gowns available to adequately treat all of the numbers of sick patients that are coming in. This is a repeat of what is happening in Italy and the US is about 17 days behind where Italy currently is. 
    According to that map the mortality rate versus infected near Seattle is 5%. Thats extremely high.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    apple ][ said:
    Hello everyone.

Stay safe.

I don't think it's that great, because it's not accurate at all.

When you look at the USA, there's only one small dot on it somewhere in the midwest. And I checked other countries too, and the dots are either missing or not accurate at all.

When I click on USA, this is what I see:

United States
    Total Confirmed Cases
    Active cases
    Recovered cases
    Fatal cases

Regarding Amazon, yeah, they're getting hammered now and I saw on the news that they're looking to hire thousands of extra delivery people, and yes, certain items are simply out of stock.
    You need to select “All Regions” or the state that you’re interested in.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    You need to select “All Regions” or the state that you’re interested in.
    That worked. Thanks!
  • Reply 19 of 22
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    ITGUYINSD said:

I'll bite.

There are several reasons this virus is far worse than the flu and is bringing entire countries to a complete collapse -

1. The hospitalization rate for COVID19 is 10-15% with roughly 5% requiring ICU; seasonal flu is 0.05%. Furthermore, the death rate for the flu is 0.1%, COVID19 is over thirty times worse at 3.4%. And in some places, like Italy, DOUBLE that.

2. Seasonal flu related deaths are usually not from the flu itself but other secondary causes such as secondary bacterial pneumonia. COVID19 on the other hand is also called SARS-CoV-2 which stands for severe acute respiratory syndrome where the lungs start filling up with fluid from inflammation - it is far more dangerous and far more difficult to treat.

3. We have a vaccine for the flu which reduces the severity of its spread and impact every year. We have no vaccine for COVID19.

4. The basic reproduction number of the flu (average number of people who get it from one sick person) is 1.3. This virus is 3 with some fluctuation meaning that it is much more contagious.

5. Seasonal flu is an epidemic, coronavirus is a pandemic - it rapidly spreads around the whole world, causing a devastating impact.

6. We have studied flu for decades so we know much more about it and how to treat and mitigate it compared to COVID19.

You're welcome.
    edited March 2020 baconstangmuthuk_vanalingamfastasleepRayz2016StrangeDaysddawson100MplsPtmay
  • Reply 20 of 22
    slurpy said:
    ITGUYINSD said:

I'll bite.

There are several reasons this virus is far worse than the flu and is bringing entire countries to a complete collapse -

1. The hospitalization rate for COVID19 is 10-15% with roughly 5% requiring ICU; seasonal flu is 0.05%. Furthermore, the death rate for the flu is 0.1%, COVID19 is over thirty times worse at 3.4%. And in some places, like Italy, DOUBLE that.

2. Seasonal flu related deaths are usually not from the flu itself but other secondary causes such as secondary bacterial pneumonia. COVID19 on the other hand is also called SARS-CoV-2 which stands for severe acute respiratory syndrome where the lungs start filling up with fluid from inflammation - it is far more dangerous and far more difficult to treat.

3. We have a vaccine for the flu which reduces the severity of its spread and impact every year. We have no vaccine for COVID19.

4. The basic reproduction number of the flu (average number of people who get it from one sick person) is 1.3. This virus is 3 with some fluctuation meaning that it is much more contagious.

5. Seasonal flu is an epidemic, coronavirus is a pandemic - it rapidly spreads around the whole world, causing a devastating impact.

6. We have studied flu for decades so we know much more about it and how to treat and mitigate it compared to COVID19.

You're welcome.
    Now don’t provide facts.  People that believe this is just a cold, a hoax, or a scare tactic don’t want facts.
    StrangeDays