Movies Anywhere to launch film sharing feature in beta

Posted:
in General Discussion
All-in-one viewing service Movies Anywhere announced a new feature on Tuesday that will let users share up to three movies a month with others, though the feature may launch too late for current social distancing recommendations.

Movies Anywhere, which lets users combine their film libraries into one platform, will soon let users share those films with others.
Movies Anywhere, which lets users combine their film libraries into one platform, will soon let users share those films with others.

Movies Anywhere is a "digital locker" that allows users to combine purchases from various online storefronts, like iTunes, Amazon or Microsoft, into a single viewing service.

The new feature, dubbed Screen Pass, will let users temporarily share their movies with friends or family, giving them access to their titles without requiring any additional purchases or rentals. All recipients will need is a Movies Anywhere account and an Apple or Android mobile device.

Recipients of your shared films will get seven days to accept a share offer, then 14 days to access the film and 72 hours to finish watching it once they start. As mentioned earlier, three shares are provided per month, which will reset at the start of the next month. While there isn't a limit on many times an individual title can be shared, unused shares won't roll over to the next month.

Not every movie is compatible with Screen Pass, but the feature will launch in beta with more than 6,000 titles -- roughly 80% of the movies available through Movies Anywhere-Compatible services. Which movies are supported will be determine by studios.

Along with Apple, Amazon and Microsoft, Movies Anywhere is backed by many major studios and streaming platforms, such as Disney (which owns it), Sony Pictures Entertainment, Warner Bros. and Twentieth Century Fox.

Screen Pass will launch in a closed beta with a small testing pool at 4 p.m. Eastern Time (1 p.m. Pacific) on Tuesday, with an open beta coming in early May.

A full rollout is slated for late summer or early fall, though a Movies Anywhere representative told CNET that the company is working to "roll it out early" if they can during these "unprecedented" circumstances.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    That logo used on the main page of AppleInsider sure looks like the ABC Australia logo.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    When will this be available to the rest of the globe?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    macseeker said:
    That logo used on the main page of AppleInsider sure looks like the ABC Australia logo.
    This has been mentioned before. I also discovered that the Disney Channel also ripped off the late 90s/early 2000s ABC promos where people draw the logo in the air. It's like someone at Disney just got all their marketing ideas from the ABC and figured no-one would notice.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    anome said:
    macseeker said:
    This has been mentioned before. I also discovered that the Disney Channel also ripped off the late 90s/early 2000s ABC promos where people draw the logo in the air. It's like someone at Disney just got all their marketing ideas from the ABC and figured no-one would notice.
    Yep.  I wonder if the Disney logo designer was in Australia.  I'm very familiar with the ABC Australia logo since I view their international channel from my satellite system.  Disney needs to change their logo for the Movies Anywhere service.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    I'm a big fan of Movies Anywhere. This is a needed good start to get online streaming closer to what we can still do with physical media. The current restrictions on this loaning do make it a bit tougher though: in addition to the ones listed in the article it also requires the loaner and recipient to both "purchase a Movies Anywhere-eligible movie from a connected Digital Retailer or redeem a non-promotional digital code every six (6) months." https://moviesanywhere.com/terms-of-use#devices-requirements-limitations  

MA also has a few major studio holdouts that don't participate and thus their movies aren't even available on the "regular" MA service: MGM, Paramount, Lionsgate, and A24 don't participate. Take this along with the 80% of MA's movies that are eligible and you are looking at roughly 55% of all mainstream titles can't be loaned.