Higher capacity Apple TV with tvOS 'Kids Mode' may be on the way

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2020
The next generation of Apple TV will be offered with higher storage capacities than previous models, reports claim, while incoming changes to tvOS are said to include a "Kids Mode" for all Apple TV models.

Apple is rumored to be preparing a new version of the Apple TV set-top box, though relatively few details about the device have surfaced so far, aside from a new model number "T1125" found in betas for tvOS 13.4 in February. In new rumors, the tentatively-titled "Apple TV 6" will offer more storage capacity than ever before.

According to YouTube channel iUpdate and The Verifier, Apple will be providing the new model in 64-gigabyte and 128-gigabyte capacities, double the 32-gigabyte and 64-gigabyte options offered in the current Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K. The storage boost will allow more apps and games to be installed on the Apple TV, without the user needing to delete unused items as often as with smaller-capacity models.

Onboard the new model will be an A11 or A12 processor, an upgrade from the A10X in the Apple TV 4K and the Apple TV HD's A8 chip.

While earlier speculation suggested the new model was set to launch as part of a March event, along with an appearance in inventory listings at a US retailer, it is claimed Apple is instead intending to hold an event towards the end of 2020, with a view to unveiling the hardware at that time.

tvOS Kids Mode and Screen Time

While the main details of the reports relate to the hardware, there is also word on a new feature to tvOS that should apply to all Apple TV models. A "Kids Mode" will enable Apple TV owners to set up a profile specifically for children to use.

The profile will include a number of restrictions affecting the types of content that will be viewable within the mode, such as preventing playback of mature content. Adult users will also be able to limit what apps child users will have access to within the mode.

Screen Time will be making an appearance in the operating system as well, with it affecting all account types, not just Kids Mode profiles. Under Screen Time, users will be able to see how much time was spent watching different types of content, as well as how long Apple Arcade games were played, which could help parents better control their child's viewing and usage habits.

It is unclear when the features will be added to tvOS, but it is likely to arrive as part of a regular update in tvOS 14, rather than Apple waiting for a new hardware launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Not sure the A12 would be a big enough upgrade versus the A10X now that there's more of a gaming orientation for the ATV. A12X minimum, more likely the A12Z to match the most recent iPad Pro.
    llamaneo-techMisterKitJapheydoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I have two 32GB TV 4Ks and haven’t had any capacity issues. Granted, YMMV and I don’t have a ton of games on them. Most of the apps are streaming apps and I don’t believe they tend to be particularly large. I know several people with TV 4Ks (with varying capacities) and none of us have ever run out of storage. Unless something really changes I don’t see the need for more storage at this stage.

On the “Kids Mode” rumor, what I would like to see fixed is an issue that I only see with programs my kids watches. Most, if not all, of that content comes from the PBS Kids app (and maybe that’s the issue, IDK). The shows that are watched show up as expected in the TV app. But clicking on them doesn’t open the appropriate app and start streaming the show, like it does for literally everything I watch that is in the TV app. Instead, clicking on the show icon opens the iTunes Store for that particular program with a button to buy it and/or a button to open in Prime or some other service. It’s very annoying.
    doozydozenzroger73watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,714member
    I have two 32GB TV 4Ks and haven’t had any capacity issues. Granted, YMMV and I don’t have a ton of games on them. Most of the apps are streaming apps and I don’t believe they tend to be particularly large. I know several people with TV 4Ks (with varying capacities) and none of us have ever run out of storage. Unless something really changes I don’t see the need for more storage at this stage.
    I recently signed up for the free trial of Apple Arcade and I'm finding I'm downloading a lot more games onto my TV now.  I'm still not hitting the limits of the storage capacity, but I'm using a lot more of it for sure.  I'm guessing this is what Apple is preparing for as more games are added.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member
    Not sure the A12 would be a big enough upgrade versus the A10X now that there's more of a gaming orientation for the ATV. A12X minimum, more likely the A12Z to match the most recent iPad Pro.
    Very unlikely they'd put the new iPad SOC in the Apple TV.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    StrangeDays said: Very unlikely they'd put the new iPad SOC in the Apple TV.
    It's what Apple did with the original ATV 4K. iPad Pro and ATV were both updated to the A10X in the same calendar year.
    doozydozenpujones1watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    About time. I've been poking them about how families are handled for years now. To be fair, it's not just Apple—no streaming device has a good profile system (my Xbox One, at least, allows me to set up the kids' accounts, PIN-protect mine, and allow exceptions as I see fit), and Apple started getting there with the user profiles last year, but they only got about 25% of the way. I'd like to see profiles with PINs (not just for parents, but for kids, too, so their siblings don't go and screw with their queues), and I want those profiles to properly follow from tvOS to iPadOS to macOS. Right now, with the lack of ways to connect to services on macOS, you can't start something from, say, Disney+ on your TV and then move seamlessly to your Mac. I think the key to a truly good Apple TV box is having a service that replicates the experience exactly across every device that user logs into (and allows a parent to grant exceptions to specific content).
    pujones1swat671tokyojimuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,689member
    StrangeDays said: Very unlikely they'd put the new iPad SOC in the Apple TV.
    It's what Apple did with the original ATV 4K. iPad Pro and ATV were both updated to the A10X in the same calendar year.
    Exactly this.  So it's definitely possible.  An A12Z in the next ATV would be awesome.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    benji888benji888 Posts: 135member
    IOn the “Kids Mode” rumor, what I would like to see fixed is an issue that I only see with programs my kids watches. Most, if not all, of that content comes from the PBS Kids app (and maybe that’s the issue, IDK). The shows that are watched show up as expected in the TV app. But clicking on them doesn’t open the appropriate app and start streaming the show, like it does for literally everything I watch that is in the TV app. Instead, clicking on the show icon opens the iTunes Store for that particular program with a button to buy it and/or a button to open in Prime or some other service. It’s very annoying.
    You may need to check that the PBS (or PBS Kids) app is set to work with Up Next
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    Same pathetic remote?
    croffordbeowulfschmidtzroger73tokyojimugalfridus
  • Reply 10 of 12
    tommikele said:
    Same pathetic remote?
    +1
    zroger73
  • Reply 11 of 12
    tommikele said:
    Same pathetic remote?
    Maybe drop the remote altogether (leave IR in for universal remote setups), bundle a controller (that's far-fetched, I know, but if they want to push Arcade this would make a ton of sense), and build Siri in? These specs would have the ability with an A11 or A12 (the HomePod is running an A8), and the Apple TV is roughly the size of an Echo Dot, so far-field mics could fit. That would be a worthy upgrade (and no cruddy remote).
  • Reply 12 of 12
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Capacity isn’t an issue - but price is.  Apple needs a cheaper 4K option.  How about one with less storage if not using apps/games with it, eh?