Apple investigating reinforced plastic as case material for future Apple Watch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    dewme said:
    It would be interesting if Apple could modularize and shrink the guts (core) of the Watch to the point where end users could replace the case of the watch themselves and upgrade existing versions of a Watch with a new core. My Apple Watch 0 has the stainless steel case with sapphire crystal. It looks as pristine as my new Series 5 Apple Watch. The only issue with it is the slowness of the core and its inability to run newer apps. I realize that it would be challenging to build a two-piece Watch that looks as seamless as the current one, but it’s doable. Of course the core component would have to be water/dust/shock proof, but since it’s no longer an aesthetic part of the Watch other than the crystal, it could be far simpler. 

That's a good idea in line with Apple's original concept of making the watch a fashion accessory with a $10,000 gold case, 
    It seems to me that most high end watches are high end not because of the guts (which are, I am sure excellent) but mostly because of how the case and the band look.  Essentially they are mostly jewelry.

The core idea of the Apple Watch conflicts with that because technology inherently becomes obsolete and needs replaced.  So, yeh, replace the obsolete guts and keep the beautiful case.

The difficulty is that sometimes (like with the series 4) upgrading the case becomes necessary and Apple would have to be able to manufacture new guts for old style cases.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 22
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    beng said:
    My concern is the constant microwave radiation on the wrist.  We now live in a soup of radiation from radio, TV, cell phones, GPS, Wi-Fi,  etc.  The higher the frequency (5G), the more damaging to tissue.  Children are the most sensitive/vulnerable.

Several years ago an article appeared about a woman who kept her cellphone in her bra near her neck.  That is exactly where she developed cancer.
    Anecdotal

watto_cobra