Why iPad Pro's LiDAR is a big step for Apple in computer vision and AR

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,975member
    Count me among the consumers who “don’t see anything they want.”

AR has been ‘coming’ for years now, and beyond a few gimmicks we’ve seen precious few true uses for it. IIRC, A few years ago they had some people playing an AR game at one of the keynotes, so it was supposedly ready then, but even I’m gaming it doesn’t seem to be doing much. It seems to be another technology that the tech companies develop and push for but the public doesn’t really care about. 

And yeah, the article could have cut out about 75% of the words. 
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Is there a significant difference between the LiDAR camera on the iPad Pro and the ToF camera on the new Samsung phones? They were not advertised as LiDAR AFAIK, so are they different?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 30
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,448member
    But, for all AR/VR potential that doesn’t mean Joe consumer should go out and buy a iPad with LiDAR today.
    Have you ever actually used VR?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30

The only thing I can think of using it for is if you could hold your device up to a sign written in a foreign language and it would be translated on the fly to English.
    You can already do that.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/google-translate/id414706506
    gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 30
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,975member
    RS232 said:
    RS232 said:
    I just wanted to know why LiDAR is an important technology. I don’t think I got it because 80% of the article was editorial Android hate speech. Please keep the opinions about other competitors to at least articles marked “editorial“. 
    You mean like the one you clicked on?

ߤ氟Fzwj;♂️
    StrangeDays, thank you. That would have made a difference to me, if I had seen it. I read the article on my iPad using the AppleInsider app. It is not marked "Editorial".

Ah interesting, I forgot about the app. Surprised they don't share the tagging functionality. 

FYI, I think DED only writes an editorial column here. 
    The ‘Editorial’ badge doesn’t show up when viewing on safari on an iPhone either. 

I’ve found AI’s interface to have a lot of inconsistencies depending on how it’s accessed. 
    edited March 2020 SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,584member
    Do you have any evidence to support “merchants who sell online report AR is boosting sales by a massive figure - 300%“?
    ...But, you seem to be saying all merchants... that’s a ridiculous claim.

But, for all AR/VR potential that doesn’t mean Joe consumer should go out and buy a iPad with LiDAR today.
    I don't "seem to be saying that," and yes it's ridiculous to suggest as you do that anyone would say that AR automatically guarantees a 3X boost in sales. Embarrassing for you, really. 

Joe consumer" is already buying iPads, regardlesss of their capabilities. And when LiDAR appears on iPhone 12, there will pretty clearly be a vast installed base develop, whether people are specifically buying because of LiDAR or not. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, but it seems like vacuous complaint invention with no purpose. 
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,584member

I like the idea of AR for devices, but the only thing I have seen from Apple in terms of AR is a glorified tape measure app and I'm not sure how useful that is. Apple seems to have been pushing AR for a few years now and I wonder if it has any distinct advantage over what the Android OS devices are offering. I honestly don't recall Apple using AR in their marketing to sell more iPhones and I doubt most consumers would see any use in having it. To me, AR is a vague sort of tech. The only thing I can think of using it for is if you could hold your device up to a sign written in a foreign language and it would be translated on the fly to English. I'd like to see more useful examples of what could be done with AR.
    Animoji is AR. Portrait Lighting is AR. Many Snap/IG filters are examples of AR. The documentation of ARKit offers some extra insight into what sorts of useful things AR can do. Mapping a layer of graphics to your face is the primary feature of a face-facing TrueDepth camera. Aiming a LiDAR sensor in the other direction will enable users to similarly augment graphics on video in the opposite direction. That's what Tango was trying to do. There are photos in this article depicting what that does.

TL;DR Measure is not the only AR app.  
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 28 of 30
    RS232RS232 Posts: 8member
    tmay said:
    I stopped reading after the umpteenth paragraph trash talking 5G and foldable phones -- mostly for their cost.

Does this author not get the fact that new, high end technology almost ALWAYS carries a price premium which drops as it becomes more mainstream?  And, that often that price premium is not due to cost but as a marketing effort to project the technology as high-end, elite type stuff.  It's called marketing.

Tesla for instance is taking full advantage of that.  They could make a Kia type car and price it more competitively.  But, they choose to go high end and price it accordingly.  Thus a Tesla is typically looked at with admiration and respect.  They have become the Cadillac of this century.   Apple tends to do much the same:  the lowest end MacBooks for instance are typically double the cost of a low cost laptop.  Apple could put out a cheap MacBook but chooses not to.
    "Thus a Tesla is typically looked at with admiration and respect"

Tesla's buyer cohort is tech/geek males for the most part, so not sure that "typically" is honest, but, opinions are like assholes, and Tesla service and parts serious trail all of the major auto makers. Chalk that up to Tesla's sales model, and balance sheet.

You probably don't care the Cadillac's first EV will be superior in build quality over Tesla's model X, but the market will certainly decide that shortly:

https://insideevs.com/news/399177/cadillac-unveil-first-electric-car-april/

The Model 3 is not high end, and frankly, its looks to me like a warmed over Neon;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Neon

The Model S is the vehicle that Tesla makes most of its margins off of, and the company has still not generated a yearly profit. Contrast that with most if not all of the top 10 manufacturers, some of whom have vehicles competing directly against the S.

Me, I'd love to have a Porsche Taycan, and it is getting rave reviews.
    The main issue for today and the next few years is that if one wants to go on a road trip, the Tesla SuperCharger network is vastly superior.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    WoW, what a waster of space. I can see you want eyeballs to stay on the page, but the point of the article couldn't be found until 3/4 down the page. Cmon Appleinsider. Give me the info I want without all the SEO fluff! I'm going to go elsewhere otherwise....
  • Reply 30 of 30
    mattkind3 said:
    WoW, what a waster of space. I can see you want eyeballs to stay on the page, but the point of the article couldn't be found until 3/4 down the page. Cmon Appleinsider. Give me the info I want without all the SEO fluff! I'm going to go elsewhere otherwise....
    First time DED reader. Cute.