Apple extends iOS 13 app update deadline to June amid pandemic

Posted:
in iOS
As the world grapples with COVID-19, Apple on Thursday informed developers that its app update requirements for iOS 13 have been extended from April 30 to June 30.

iOS 13

Announced in a post to Apple's developer website, the extension applies to a number of requirements designed to bring parity across apps marketed in the App Store.

The deadline to adhere to the following requirements has been extended to June 30:
  • Apps for iPhone or iPad must be built with the iOS 13 SDK or later and use an Xcode storyboard to provide the app's launch screen.

• iPhone apps must support all iPhone screens and all iPad apps must support all iPad screens.

• Apps for Apple Watch must be built with the watchOS 6 SDK or later.

• Apps that authenticate or set up user accounts must support Sign in with Apple if required by guideline 4.8 of the App Store Review Guidelines.

• Apps in the Kids category must be in full compliance with guideline 1.3 and guideline 5.1.4. of the App Store Review Guidelines.

• Apps using HTML 5 must be in full compliance with guideline 4.7 sections 4, 5, and 6 of the App Store Review Guidelines.
Apple failed to explain the deadline extension, saying only that developers "who may need additional time" to update their existing apps on the App Store are being granted extra time to do so.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    • Apps that authenticate or set up user accounts must support Sign in with Apple if required by guideline 4.8 of the App Store Review Guidelines.
    Good! This is the one I’ve been waiting for in particular. It seems very few apps have bothered to implement this so far. I’m happy to see it should only be a few more months. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    They are still warning on the upload to TestFlight.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Yes, but why the hell update of new iOC 13.4 on iPad Pro only keeps stopping on "Prepare update" and drops all process withoit any message? I do not have time to sntand and watch and restart download 50 times a day while other iPad (older) updates on first attempt. Maybe Apple should have some respect to users time and better testing of their process (at least message would be nice).